Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Lap Band and Dating

I was asked out for a dinner date. We went today. I was sipping Lemon Water, and we were having a nice visit. All was well. I ordered Ahi, and nothing else. It was good, and I have tried ahi before, and eaten it without incident.

This day, though, that was not the case. I was trying to focus on chewing thoroughly, and eating slowly. I was paying extra close attention, because this was a first date, and I really didn't want it to turn into dinner AND a show!

But, soon, I have that stuck feeling. And the feeling that I cannot swallow my own spit. And he is talking, and I am trying to keep it together until he pauses, so I can make my escape to the bathroom, and some privacy.

I did manage to make it to the end of his story, and then hurriedly excused myself, and, with all the control and dignity I could muster, bolted for the restroom. Once there, I massaged just above the stomach, and spent five minutes sliming into the toilet, and managed to clear things up. And I am thankful that it was only 5 minutes, because I've had longer bouts.

So, word to the wise on dating....be CAREFUL what you order, and how you eat it!

OMG!!! I feel for you. One of my previous posts was a question about LB and dating. So what ended up happening with your date, and did he know something was up?? Once I can actually start to eat solid foods, I will start practicing!!!

OMG!!! I feel for you. One of my previous posts was a question about LB and dating. So what ended up happening with your date, and did he know something was up?? Once I can actually start to eat solid foods, I will start practicing!!!

Well, it was obvious that something wasn't right, and I didn't wait for him to ask, (his concerned look was enough when I came back from the restroom), so I simply told him the unvarnished truth without expounding. That a piece of the fish had gotten lodged in my esophagus.

Will there be a 2nd date?

It wasn't all fireworks, and music, but he said he would like to see me again when he walked me to my car, and said I would like that. Then I promised not to hurl on the next date....(a promise I intend to keep, by ordering Soup next time!) And we laughed about the little incident.

Sounds like your date went pretty well, but I've never heard of ahi. What is that?

Ahi is tuna, usually served very raw or very rare. This was seared, so it was cooked on the outside, and very pink in the middle. It's usually very easy to eat, and very high in Protein, low in calories, etc.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is sliming?

As lonedaisy said, when something gets stuck, you can't swallow...but it's more than just spit. Your esophagus begins to produce Fluid trying to flush the stuck thing down, and this fluid is very slimy, and you HAVE to spit it out, or drown. It's a disgusting event, truly it is.

One thing I forgot to mention....

My big worry about dating with the lap band was the gas! I mean, really....how embarrassing would it be to toot the starspangled banner during a date? Luckily, this did not happen during this date, but it's always a possibility. I have never had so much gas in my life! In fact, my first husband once asked, "How is it that you never fart?" Well...he should see me now! He would be SO proud!

So, there was a second date. Another restaurant, another public meal.... and I didn't order the Soup. I discovered something useful.

We are not supposed to drink with our meals. Why? Because it tends to wash food down, and through the band. On a regular basis, that would be a bad thing. But for the sake of being able to relax, and appear normal on a date, that's a wonderful thing! I took tiny sips of Water throughout the meal, and simply managed to limit my intake the old fashioned way.

Everything went smoothly, and I was still well within my caloric goal for the day.

I often take tiny sips of Water when I am eating with someone who does not know I am banded. I think it helps the food slide down and not get stuck. Since I don't eat with meals the rest of the time, I think this is perfectly okay and better than the alternative.

When it became apparant I would be speding lots of time with my bf,I told him all about the band.

Can your partner feel the port?

In my case, there has not been enough physical contact to report back. LOL Old fashioned, afternoon dates...

But, I can feel the port, so I suppose if he was feeling around, and pressed hard enough at the right spot, he would be able to feel it too!