Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Interesting article on why running burns more calories than walking

We all know it, those of us who run. We KNOW that we wouldnt get the same results from walking. Walking is great exercise, a healthy habit and we have to walk before we can run. But we all KNOW that we'd never get as fit from walking.

Here's a little article I found trying to calculate the calories from this morning's run

How Many Calories Are You Really Burning?

Its all the up/down motion of running as well as the straight ahead motion that makes it the bigger calorie burner - primarily becuase you need more oxygen to run than walk. Which is why our cardiovascular systems are much stronger than they would be from just walking.

Its also why my knee is farked after running 14.5 kms his morning (10 miles or so). Lol. But hey, I burned over 1000 calories. Which explains why whenever I do my long run, I tend to pig out on lollies and stuff during the rest of the day. Tonight I ate two bowls of ice cream. They were small bowls. It wouldnt have seemed so bad if I'd just had one big one.

But it DOES explain why I was always able to lose on 1500 a day, doesnt it?

So next time someone says to you, Oh its great you like to run but you're wasting your time. Walking burns more fat.

That drives me CRAZY. That low heart rate theory is so flawed but everyone believe it. Its simple. Work harder for better results.

"So next time someone says to you, Oh its great you like to run but you're wasting your time. Walking burns more fat."

Huh?? I'm no athlete and have even been slacking off in the walking department, let alone run, but who the heck thinks walking burns more calories than running? I have to admit I was thinking "Gee, Jachut, that's a bit of a 'der freddy' statement, isn't it?" until I saw that line of yours. Obviously some people have said it to you but where on earth would they get that idea from?

Heheh - I guess so! I was reading the title of the thread and thinking "Interesting article? As interesting as "Why it's lighter outside in the daytime than at night" or "Why a diet of icecream and KFC makes you fat"" It just seems a no-brainer that running burns more calories than walking - because it takes so much more effort!! Which is probably why I don't do it, coz I'm a lazy sod :teeth_smile::rolleyes:

*edits*

Ok, this time I read the article and I guess the idea about equal calories is pretty prevalent out there. It doesn't make any sense to me though - I KNOW I work harder when I run (which I am still avoiding whenever possible, hehe) so it would never have occurred to me to think walking would burn the same.

Edited by Fanny Adams

Its this low heart rate burns more fat theory Fanny. People just latch onto that because it gives them a reason not to work hard.

Its pretty much accepted by the public as truth. If I posted that out on the general forum, it would not be popular!.

I have a treadmill at home that has great incline capabilities. I always use the incline during my walks so even though I'm not to the point of taking up running/jogging yet, I still manage to get an amazing workout using that incline. I read the article and I didn't see incline level taken into account when determining if you burn as many calories walking vs. running. Anybody have any input?

I just assumed that the test took that into account. I mean, if you walk / run outside there is a natural variation of incline.

But I would think that even walking at a 5 or 6% incline wouldn't burn quite as many calories as a good run.

The difference is that with running you jump from leg to leg, and actually leave the ground. That is where the extra calorie burn comes from.

Not that incline walking isnt a good workout. My easier days are often a hill program on the treadmill! But again its inherent, those are my "easy" days. So incline walking is easier to me than running. I do it to save my body the constant pounding that running every single day gives.

This isnt a thread to bash any form of exercise by the way, if walking challenges your fitness and you get a good sweat up from it, then its right for you. Its simply to debunk the myth that walking and jogging burn the same calories. That myth compares walking and running the same distance and incline.

For sure though, a tough incline walk (and a good hill can send my heartrate into the stratosphere) no doubt burns more calories than an easy flat slow jog!

Thanks for sharing Jacqui. I know personally that this is right for me. If I walked the same distance that I run, I know I wouldn't be as fit as I am even though I would be active for a longer period of time.

Running rocks.

Also I can highly recommend picking up a nike sportband to help calculate your calories burned. I just started using mine and it takes all the hard work out of it.

I absolutely know that running burns more calories than walking. I am living proof of that!! That is why I couldn't stop losing weight when I was training for the half and why I struggle to not gain weight now that I am recovering from my TT. Never did believe the whole low intensity = fat burning myth. Otherwise...I would have been thin as a rail without the band!