Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Aussie Newbie

Hey Everyone,

Im new to the forum and I have been doing lots of reading (probably to much to be honest) regarding Lap Band Surgery, Im female and in my early 20's.

Im a little further in the process, my surgery is on the 12th of August...only 9 days away.

I have to admit, Im actually feeling more nervous about Surgery and any complications during or after surgery then actually feeling excited right now. I have probably over read and I think that's my issue, I have heard of ports flipping and have to undergo surgery again, slippage happening regulary etc. When you start reading these things, you start to think...is this something I really want to do? I have never undergone any type of surgery, so obviously the whole hospital visit & surgery is starting to freak me out already.

I have also read god knows how many comments about how having lap band was the best thing that could of happened in their lives, and that is fantastic, I guess im a little confused, Im going to go ahead with the surgery regardless but I would really like any type of advice or anything that can help me feel a bit more comfortable.

Cheers.

Edited by Ange05

Ange, it was the best decision I ever made. Good luck, I am sure you will feel the same.

Hey Everyone,

Im new to the forum and I have been doing lots of reading (probably to much to be honest) regarding Lap Band Surgery, Im female and in my early 20's.

Im a little further in the process, my surgery is on the 12th of August...only 9 days away.

I have to admit, Im actually feeling more nervous about Surgery and any complications during or after surgery then actually feeling excited right now. I have probably over read and I think that's my issue, I have heard of ports flipping and have to undergo surgery again, slippage happening regulary etc. When you start reading these things, you start to think...is this something I really want to do? I have never undergone any type of surgery, so obviously the whole hospital visit & surgery is starting to freak me out already.

I have also read god knows how many comments about how having lap band was the best thing that could of happened in their lives, and that is fantastic, I guess im a little confused, Im going to go ahead with the surgery regardless but I would really like any type of advice or anything that can help me feel a bit more comfortable.

Cheers.

Hi, there is a great blog written by a young Aussie woman at Skinny Biddy- Banding Blog She has some excellent links too which might be helpful to you. All the best from an older Aussie bandster. Melanie

Hi Ange congrats on getting your band date!!!

There are at least 140 others getting banded in August from all over the world (I'm on Aug 27th). At the August 2008 lapband topic we're sharing our experiences at August 2008 Bandsters - Lap Band Surgery and Lap Band Discussion Forum So pop on over if you want to vent or chat!

Not long now at all!:teeth_smile:

Hi and welcome Ange. Don't worry too much about the surgery. Complications are really very rare. You have to remember that forums like this will not represent the true percentages as many successful people don't post and those with complications tend to gravitate here, so it is weighted to show a higher rate than it really is. I've had a lot of surgeries in my life and this was the easiest one by far.

Just take it easy, follow the guidelines and you won't regret it. I know I haven't regretted it for a moment - best thing I ever did for myself.

Thanks for the comments guys, still very nervous, but I think I'll come out the other side ok.

Thanks alot Fanny, you have some very valid points.

The best advice I can give you is, you've made the decision to go ahead so concentrate on a positive outcome. Things can happen down the track, but they can also not happen. Don't stress over what may never be, take things as they come.

Good luck.

Hi Ange,

try not to panic,first and foremost is that a lot of people are on forums becuase they have complications and are looking for support. There's gajillions of happy, successful bandsters out there that might not even know how to turn the computer on, let alone get into a forum.

Also, you have to read a lot of what you find here a little,as a uniquely American experience as this forum is mainly American. Banding in Australia is quite a different beast, you probably wont have all the low carb, high Protein, count the calories, log your food advice here. Its approached much more as an eat sensibly from all food groups and get some regular exercise kind of thing and by and large that approach works just as well.

I hope people take that the right way, I'm not putting down either side, just saying we approach it a bit differently here, so whilst the vastly different way of life can sound daunting, in reality it doesnt *have* to be like that unless you want to do it that way. And different as we are lots of us get on really really well.

Also when everyone says they're now a size 6, our sizes are bigger, lol, that's actually a 10 to you and I!

Where are you from, and where are you having your surgery? Good luck with it!