Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

hello to all, my wife and i had lap bands on may 7th mine went just fine so far. but my wifes was removed after the 4th day

due to an enflamed isoffagus she couldnt keep any thing down not even a ice cube. she is really bummed out can anyone shed any light on this subject. THANKS for any help

Whoa!!! No kidding? I, too, had a terrible time with post-op swelling but it's been 7 weeks now and I'm still banded! It sounds odd to me but there HAD to be something else going on medically with her for them to take her band out after 4 days. Who's your doc? Lots of folks will be interested in your stories...be prepared to spill the beans!! :) You will get lots of experieinced feedback here. How's your band journey coming along?

Welcome to LBT!

I agree it is odd to take out her band so soon after surgery, many have this problem and it is usually caused from swelling from surgery. .., once the swelling goes down all should be normal. Who is your Dr.?

Wow I'm sure thats gotta be something terible to go through. Please tell us more about your experience and also how your wife is doing in all this?

HI EVERYONE,

My husband and myself had our operations at the same time ...I don't know what we were thinking : )

We could'nt take care of each other...

I had researched the inamed band for a couple of months before the operations.

We went to meetings etc. It seemed to be so much better than the gastric bypass ,no disrespect to those who have had that done ...I am just a sissy

less evasive etc.

My husband and I are self employed without insurance .

Well we figured we would have less health problems without being obese etc.

And maybe an insurance company would consider us as customers instead of obese and denied insurance wow how rude.

Well I went in first because I wanted this operation so bad (and my husband was a little nervous) I had the operation it was great I woke up just fine no nausea nothing ,I went in five or ten min. after waking up to kiss my husband before his surgery,Then he went in came out with no problems .

I thought this was a breeze ,I felt a little tight in my chest but that was it.

I had iv's hooked up etc. I had not attempted to drink sip anything yet.

later on that evening the iv was done and it was time for me to try and sip some Water and take my liquid meds whewwwwwwwww that was it. I began

vomiting it was horrible ,The doctor came in and injected me with some anti -nausea meds. it worked untill I tryed to sip some more water and meds about a hour after the shot ...more vomiting and oh my gosh my chest felt like someone was hitting me with a sledge hammer ...well this went on for Four Days imagine that well I did'nt get any meds or water down during that time nor did I get to take my thyroid meds. the whole time ....I could'nt stop vomiting even a drip from an ice cube would make me vomit ....for crying out loud the doctor said I was vomiting up my own saliva ....violently vomiting

it got to a point where I could barely breath...the doctor took me in for emergency surgery I was vomiting into my lung and had to have that vacumed out.....I feel like such a Failure..

My husband has done just Great I am so proud of him!

Okay I am a little jealious it did'nt work for me.....But still proud of him : )

The only thing we could think of was I was under alot of stress we had a death in the family two days before surgery ,my grandfather died at 98 years old and i took care of him .......maybe I should have waited?

thanks for reading Sheri

Wow Sheri, thanks for filling us in, it sounds terrible! I wonder what could have prevented that from happening? Was the band too small, could the doc have replaced it with a larger band? Surely you will be able to do this in the future? Will you?

On the insurance, if you are Incorported you can get Insurance for small businesses. It's pricey but we have coverage. My DH is a General Contractor. He is the only employee so the family has coverage through him, and they can't deny you (just as if you got a job w/ a company and they MUST provide you with health benefits if you are full-time, you know what I mean?) so you CAN get coverage that way.

But with cash pay, wow, all that money and surgery and NO BAND! I feel terrible for you! I'm really sorry. And I'm sorry you lost your grandfather, too. What a difficult time for you!

Who was your doctor? Will you try again later?

johnnyreno are you actually in reno?

just curious...

also I want to share my experience with you.

I was originally banded April 11th and was due to leave the hospital on the 12th. Well.. needless to say on the 13th I was still in the hospital and could not drink ANYTHING including ice chips. they had done 3 swallows and it showed the swelling was NOT going down. I went in for emergency surgery and had the VG band put in and the 9.75 removed. The next morning the surgeon had me swallow (I was TERRIFIED to try) and it worked!! I did a barrum test and everything went down normal.

my point is.. I would not look at it as you failed more as though your surgeon failed you! My surgeon called a TON of others to find out what my options were. Granted he informed me that if the larger band didnt work that I would pretty much be out of choices and they would have to remove it.

THANK GOD it worked because now 35 lbs lighter I feel great and can't wait to continue my journey. I owe it all to my surgeon and knowing what he had to do to get me fixed up. I thank my lucky stars that he did have the resources to find out and gave me a second chance. I would NEVER consider the bypass.. especially after working in a surgery department and hearing the stories.

In my opinion the surgeon gave up wayyy to easy on you. I went three days with no Water or even ice and I honestly thought I was gonna die but I'm SO glad he didnt take it out. (funny thing.. at the time I begged him too!)

What a terrible experience! I hope that you can just concentrate on recovering from a surgery right now. Possibly you can get some additonal information about a different/larger band and talk with a qualified band surgeon. Best of luck to you! But you are definitely NOT a failure! You did get your band but it didn't "agree" with you. This was not your fault. Best of luck to you and your DH!

What a terrible experience you had! I think I would talk to your doctor and find out why they didn't try the larger band with you.

Good luck!

Hello Everyone ,

Thanks for reading our story,Yes we are in Reno....

I am not sure how big my band was I had in but I know it held 4cc inamed..

My problem was I could'nt get any air ,I thought I was going to pass out...

I tryed for almost five days....Thankyou for all of your input...

and yes I would try it again....

My doctor did want to put me on a morphine drip but it was too late ...

we did the emergency surgery.... : (

Sheri

who was your surgeon?

I was in the hospital on a morphine drip the entire time. I guess I'm curious because I'm in reno also.

OMG how awful! Im so sorry. I hope you are feeling better. Are you now thinking of doing the gastric bypass?

I am going to get a personal trainer and try really hard, I'm 42...whewwwwwwww

I have never really exercised before in my life ,I have been on every diet known now for over five years . No I will never do the gastric bypass : )

I and my husband are still healing after I feel better I am going to try the trainer..walking etc. Sheri

...more vomiting and oh my gosh my chest felt like someone was hitting me with a sledge hammer .

>>>>>>thats what I felt like! I called it a feeling of horses tramling on my chest! lol

This was on ice chips.... But he said as long as it wsnt happening on my Saliva, I was OK.

..well this went on for Four Days imagine that well I did'nt get any meds or Water down during that time

>>>>I had to get Patches from my doctor... luckily he understood why..

I could'nt stop vomiting even a drip from an ice cube would make me vomit ....for crying out loud the doctor said I was vomiting up my own saliva ....violently vomiting

>>>>>>>>>That REALLY sucks.. yep, thats why they told me I was OK becasue I wasnt spitting up my own saliva.. I mean I was for a few days, I had to have a towel to sleep with all night... but I wasnt vomiting at all..

maybe I should have waited?

>>>>No one could of foreseen it would be so hard on you... Did they found out why?

Can you be rebandded?

who was your surgeon?