Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Jersey August Chat

Good Morning Y'all

Well, this is going to be my worst day for swelling and he was right, I am huge. I am doing good though and soon I will be a new woman. I must be getting lots better as I am getting sick of looking at the same walls. lol

I am anxious to see it all done and at the size I will be.

thank you all so much for all the well wishes and prayers. It's so nice to know you are all there for me.

Later my friends.

hugs to you betty!!!

Welcome to all the new gals that I missed in my few days away from the thread!!!!

Betty so glad you are home again, and healing. I was worried about you my friend!!!

As much as I seriously hate to even type these words, I am facing it......I think I have slipped my band. I had that horrid virus and now I cannot eat, and cold liquids are a no go----I am managing through slow intake to keep myself hydrated, and hoping with all my heart, it is going to settle back, and that it is residual swelling. I cannot hold my breath forever. My Dr. is out for the holiday weekend of course, so will call and get in on Tuesday. Scares the crap out of me.....but I know I did not want the virus, it was totally out of my control, so if I did, I know it was not from personal abuse. My scale this morning is showing the lack of eating---I am below goal, 163.5. I wish I was happy about it.

I am leaving today and going to a fairly local motorcycle rally. I figured, I can worry as well there as at home. I am taking my Ensure, and my 7-UP. The rally in Durango is only 30 minutes away. Then Sunday we are going up further to the Sugar Pine Rally to hear another concert---and it is about 60 miles away. Point being, if at any time I need to come home, it is a doable thing. There are some old R&R bands at the concerts I want to hear!!! Saturday night is Three Dog Night and Little River Band, and Sunday night is Black Oak Arkansas. I might be the only one who remembers any of them!!! LOL!!!

I will be back on Monday at some point, and will check in.

Hugs to all of you----REALLY careful ones for you Betty!!!

Michaele---still got you on the prayer list!!

Kat

Hello Jersey Gals.....

My name is Patty and I am a new bandster. from Bayonne...I was banded on Tuesday by Dr. Ewing at Hackensack Medical Center. All went ok and I am doing ok...I am doing my best with the clear liquid diet...it is tough though ....

Anyone else from my neck of the woods???

As much as I seriously hate to even type these words, I am facing it......I think I have slipped my band. I had that horrid virus and now I cannot eat, and cold liquids are a no go----I am managing through slow intake to keep myself hydrated, and hoping with all my heart, it is going to settle back, and that it is residual swelling.

Hang in there, Kat. I hope your stomach calms down for you and that it isn't a slip. Be careful in your travels!

Betty: I am so happy that you are doing better.

Welcome to the newbies!

Hey, where's everyone else hidin' ?

Happy Labor Day everyone!

OH No! Kat I am going to keep you in my prayers, and I hope you are just swollen up. Be careful with the 7up, and I am going to give you a big tip. If you are still sick to your stomach, take every sip you take off a metal spoon, it does wonders. I learned this when my kids were young and it does work. Try some hot tea over the other stuff. Or better yet, try some hot carnation instant Breakfast as it has the Vitamins in it too. Just sip it as you can. I am so hoping it isn't band related. Please keep in touch. I can't type long but I do try to read it every day.

Hugs!

Hi everyone!

Im back! I just got back last night from viisting my dh in fort bliss for his 4 day pass before he leaves for iraq. it was a wonderful visit. hated the last day because it was so emotional, but we got through it. I loved being with him, it has been 2 months since! and now another 10 months to go.

so for all wondering, my chest cat scan came out fine, whew!

so this wednesday i just have to get my med clearance from gp and next tuesday the 9th is my day!

I am so excited and scared at the same time!

I have a question, I keep reading about people going in for the surgery and than when the dr goes in finds the liver is too fatty and won't do the surgery. how can i prevent that?

liquid diet? if so, what do I drink to take in calories? i think i want to do a few days of it, just to be on the safe side.

Hi Michaele, That's great that you got to spend the time with your DH and he'll be in my thoughts and prayers for safety and health while he's deployed for sure. As far as a fattyliver......best bet....ask your doctor what the presurgery diet should be. EVERY provider offers a different diet so for any of us to say what you should do would be wrong. What we can do is tell you what we had to do and that's about it really. So definately always check with your own provider throughout your own process because in the end he/she is the one that's going to have to help you with your band throughout the time you have it :rolleyes: With that said......my bariatric surgeon at BIDMC requires his patience to lose 10 pounds before surgery..says that helps with a fatty liver if the patient has one. I lost 7 or 8 and he was able to do the surgery no problems. The only pre-surgery type eating I had to do was 2 days prior. At 2 days out I had to eat really small amounts and nothing considered solid after the lunch meal. So for dinner, the next breakfast it was something mushy, I believe I had cream of wheat the day before surgery for breakfast and then lunch and dinner were liquids so I had slimfast then nothing after supper so nothing after 5pm because my surgery was at 7am. That might give you a small idea of what your doc requires but, best bet is to call, email or go see him/her and ask away! Good luck and congrats on your surgery date.

I have to make it quick because DH and I are headed for a charity run for MDA today with about 20 other bikes in our group. Then we'll meet up with the bigger run group. The slight unfill has helped with the nighttime reflux issue...I'm actually sleeping now but, I've got this weird feeling something just isn't right. I know my body really well...really sensitive to what's going on and something seems off...can't tell if this thing is flipping up and down in there or if the tubing is pressing against my intestines. I find it funny that there was almost 2ccs in my band yet when I went there was only 1cc in there so....where did it go? My port was also a bit slanted too the last few times. Anywho...haven't nailed this yet but, I'm paying attention to it to see if I need to get that Swallow test to be sure it's ok. Man I don't want to lose my band :) But I really dont' want to screw anything else up either which is more important. So I'll keep ya posted. Gotta go ladies.....hope all is going well and Betty I sure hope you're feeling better and Kat...girl...take it easy....really make sure to sip to keep hydrated and I you're feeling better! Keep us posted you two!

Hugs!

Just dropping in to say hello!

Kat, hopefully, staying on liquids will calm things down. I know if I've had a bad PB, I have to take it easy the next few days.

Betty, glad you're healing.

Sherry, my mom's problem was esophagus issues, not the band. She took meds for a few weeks and lots of liquids and she healed nicely, and still has her band.

After almost a week at the beach, I'm having a lazy day, well maybe I should say weekend, lol.

Michaele, I'm sure the last day was very emotional, you're a strong woman.

Trish, hope all is well on the homefront.

Woohoo, Diane, where are you? Sorry I missed your call, I hate this new phone! I've either not hung it up well or it malfunctioned and I've thought I hung up only to have ppl tell me they were still on the phone OMG! It's one of those Voyagers, by Verizon, buyer beware!

Hi I am not new to the forum but I am new to all of you here. I live in Burlington Twnshp. and I am still in the process of getting approval. I have been so frustrated this weekend. I have all of my paperwork together and I was called in to meet the surgeon last Tuesday. I thought they were going to tell me that I was ready to go and that they were submitting my file to my insurance company. The surgical coordinator told me no because she did not have my pulmonary clearance yet. I was like WTH :thumbdown: why bring me in for nothing. I had a sleep study and I have moderate obstructive sleep apnea (this news made my surgeon and the surgical coordinator very happy bad for my health but not bad for insurance approval). The sleep doctor said I have pulmonary clearance and I am go to go for the surgery once I have the second sleep study to get measured and then get the machine. She wants me to call her once I have been using it for two weeks to check in.

Since they are basically right next to each other I drove over to the sleep doctor's office to find out the status of the letter and if they had it I would take it over to the surgeon myself. They did not have it ready but they put a rush on it and informed me that it said I had pulmonary clearance but I did not have sleep clearance until I had the machine and called her after the two weeks. I told the surgical coordinator this and she told me that if it did indeed say this that she would have to consult with the surgeon first before sending it to the insurance company for approval. Because he may make me wait until I have the machine and all is well and have the sleep doctor update the letter. I honestly cannot believe this it would mean I will have to wait at least another month before the paperwork is even sent and the fun of waiting for the insurance company (BCBS Federal) will begin another frustrating time for me. The insurance company benefits plan do not require half of the stuff they had me do. The surgical coordinator said yes they did require it and without it I would not be approved. My surgeon said why are you so worried about being approved? With my BMI >40, chronic asthma, and now this sleep apnea they will definitely approve me. I am more than satisfied with my choice of surgeons but this waiting is getting to me.

Sorry for the length of this post and thanks for letting me vent :wink2:

Hi bklyn1984,

I am wondering who your surgeon is? I am looking for a surgeon in Burlington County. I know it does not help, but try to keep your chin up it sounds like it will just be a matter of time before all the paperwork gets straightened out. Take Care!

Lisw55

Hi bklyn1984,

I am wondering who your surgeon is? I am looking for a surgeon in Burlington County. I know it does not help, but try to keep your chin up it sounds like it will just be a matter of time before all the paperwork gets straightened out. Take Care!

Lisw55

Dr. Bobila and I very comfortable with him as my choice. Since I have Chronic Asthma I spent many years in and out of Virtua Mount Holly and received wonderful care while I was hospitalized. There's also Dr. Goldstein who is in Marlton. A lot of members in my support group have him as their surgeon and they are very happy with him. I was not comfortable having him as my surgeon but that's me. Plus Virtua Marlton changed anesthesia groups who were out of network and I was not paying any more than I have to. Everyone involved with this procedure in Mount Holly is in network so it was great that I was happy with Dr. Bobila as my choice. Other name I have heard of is Dr. Kipnis but I never met him.

Just for your information. In order to make consultation appointments with any of the surgeons in Virtua you need to attend the seminar first. They will also require you to join New Beginnings. It costs $1750.00 plus $250.00 for the gym portion. I chose both. It includes behavioral therapist visit, nurses visit, nutrition classes, nutritionists, and support group. The gym portion gives you a trainer for 8 sessions to be used before or after surgery. Afterwards if you decide to stay with the gym your membership fee is waived and all you would have to pay is the monthly fee for maintaining your membership at the gym. The gym, New Beginnings, Behavioral Therapist, Nutrition Classes, and Support are all located in the same building which works out great for me. I am going to try and submit claims for the behavioral therapist and nutritionists to my insurance company to see what happens. I may just get some money back :thumbdown:

Thanks for your response I am trying to keep positive thoughts. I am at the place where I am saying okay already let's go I am so ready to have this surgery and start my new life. Oh and I will tell you that Dr. Bobila will require you to do a liquid diet two weeks prior to surgery. I am okay with that because post-op I will be on liquids to mushie so it's preparing me. Also, I heard that Dr. Goldstein will give you an amount of weight to lose prior to surgery and if you do not meet that requirement even on the day of surgery (you will be weighed at the hospital) he will not operate on you.

So honestly I would do a lot of research first before choosing one which you already know I am sure. I went to two seminars. One at Penn and the other at Virtua. Penn was inconvenient for me but the surgeons there are very nice.

I look forward to talking with everyone here. I have been mostly lurking around in the NJ part and I have not posted here because I really have nothing to contribute.

Hey you are a neighbor I am in Westampton, don't get too frustrated I just took my time it took a while but I was banded August 27 and am strating to feel better, Let me know how you are progressing and keep in touch. Andrea :frown:

Hi I am not new to the forum but I am new to all of you here. I live in Burlington Twnshp. and I am still in the process of getting approval. I have been so frustrated this weekend. I have all of my paperwork together and I was called in to meet the surgeon last Tuesday. I thought they were going to tell me that I was ready to go and that they were submitting my file to my insurance company. The surgical coordinator told me no because she did not have my pulmonary clearance yet. I was like WTH :smile: why bring me in for nothing. I had a sleep study and I have moderate obstructive sleep apnea (this news made my surgeon and the surgical coordinator very happy bad for my health but not bad for insurance approval). The sleep doctor said I have pulmonary clearance and I am go to go for the surgery once I have the second sleep study to get measured and then get the machine. She wants me to call her once I have been using it for two weeks to check in.

Since they are basically right next to each other I drove over to the sleep doctor's office to find out the status of the letter and if they had it I would take it over to the surgeon myself. They did not have it ready but they put a rush on it and informed me that it said I had pulmonary clearance but I did not have sleep clearance until I had the machine and called her after the two weeks. I told the surgical coordinator this and she told me that if it did indeed say this that she would have to consult with the surgeon first before sending it to the insurance company for approval. Because he may make me wait until I have the machine and all is well and have the sleep doctor update the letter. I honestly cannot believe this it would mean I will have to wait at least another month before the paperwork is even sent and the fun of waiting for the insurance company (BCBS Federal) will begin another frustrating time for me. The insurance company benefits plan do not require half of the stuff they had me do. The surgical coordinator said yes they did require it and without it I would not be approved. My surgeon said why are you so worried about being approved? With my BMI >40, chronic asthma, and now this sleep apnea they will definitely approve me. I am more than satisfied with my choice of surgeons but this waiting is getting to me.

Sorry for the length of this post and thanks for letting me vent :frown: