Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My spleen may have been damaged during surgery...!

Hello to all in Lap Band Land! I had my Lap Band Surgery on July 17, 2008 and at the same time I had a Hiatal Hernia Repair, it was severe, 1/3 of my stomach was above my diaphram so my diaphram had to be reinforced with mesh...a very large piece:scared2:. I was told after my surgery that my recovery would be a bit longer and my pain would be greater.

All was good, I did not experience "bandster hell" at all. I was able to swallow liquids with no problem and I am now in the soft food (mushy) stage but here is the problem, last Sunday evening after dinner I began to have extreme pain under left lung. Since then I have had to take shallow breaths as I am not able to breath in without severe pain and when I lay down on my back or left side the pain is worse than labor contractions during child birth...no joke! The pain has been persistant since then.

I went to my bariatric surgeon this evening and he is conserned that my spleen was injured during surgery. I am in the medical industry so I know that any good surgeon can have this happen during lap band and hiatal surgery and it does happen. If my pain is not better by next week he is going to run some blood work and do an ultrasound to see what is going on and if his assumptions are correct then I will need to have my spleen removed.

My question is, has anyone had spleen problems after surgery? If so, how did you deal with the pain outside of medications. I was given Percoset and an prescription anti-inflamatory (I cannot recall the name) but I am still in pain and I have not had much sleep in 3 days. I need some advise as this is brutal and I am going out of my mind here.

I wish I has some advice to offer. I just wanted to say sorry that you have to deal with this and wish you a speedy resolution. Why are they waiting a week to check it out?

That is my question, too. Why wait a week if you are in this much agony?

Call him today and tell him you want the ultrasound and blood work now. Put your foot down. As long as that doesn't hurt, too!

Ya i would tell him to do it now. If your in the medical profession then you also know that if your spleen ruptures(sp) you could die. I would have it checked now. Also anti inflamitories are bad for your new pouch.

I don't have any words of wisdom, but please know I am thinking of you and hoping that your recovery goes as smoothly as possible!

I called my doctor today and I told him my apprehensions or waiting for another week so I have an appointment for later this afternoon. He wants to do some blood work and he said that will tell us if my spleen is functioning normal. He said that if it is not then they will admit me to the hospital for further testing and we will take if from there...hey, maybe I will get some better drugs for pain there!...lol...Honestly, I cannot take this anymore. The pain is like the first stages of contractions during labor except this does not let up, it is constant.

I hope you are doing better and everything comes out OK. I know that you worked hard to get your lap band and were very excited to get it done. It is awful that you are having complications. I will be thinking about you and praying for a quick recovery. Lisa

I'm glad you got in to the doctor today. This sounds too serious to wait another week! I do hope it's not too serious and they find the problem quickly. Take care and keep us informed. Prayers are being said!

I ran into your post as my wife is contemplating lapband and we live in Corona CA. We truly hope you feel better now. Your experience makes us even more anxious. We have not made any contact with any surgeon yet. Would you have any recommendation?

I read your post and was wondering how it all turned out? I have a hiatal hernia also, and although it was small when it was first diagnosed I know it has gotten much worse in the past 5 years and I am not going to

have a throat scope before surgery to find out how bad.

I am so looking forward to now having anymore issues with the hernia, its is constant and makes life uncomfortable for sure..

Hope you are well