Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Serious problems with the lap band....

I am researching getting the lap band, and I currently work in the ER at a local hospital...I have seen patients come in with serious problems with the band and gastric bypasses. I am curious what serious complications have happened to you or people you know? How often do these complications occur? I really want this, but I know there are risks with every kind of surgery, and when something foreign is put into your body. I'm just trying to look at all avenues. I am really afraid of going through this and fighting the same struggles I'm going through now.

Thanks

The only problem that I had was when I had a kidney stone and could not stop vomiting. Everything got swollen and I had to be unfilled for a while. I am now on my way back up...I go in on Thursday.

I can't talk for anyone else but myself. But I'm due to get the band in a few weeks since I have failed in past diet attempts my whole adult life. I have gone through the joys of losing a large amount of weight but surely enough have gained it all back plus some. Now i'm in my mid 30's with two children and the side effects of my stature are now coming into focus like high blook pressure, PCOS, cholesterol etc. So after much consideration I have opted for the band knowing what risk are involved. My view is that if I do nothing the risk can be much greater. As long as you do your part to research and find a well qualified doctor than the rest is left to planning a happy future for yourself. Not sure if this helps you, but I thought I would throw my 2 cents.

I am researching getting the lap band, and I currently work in the ER at a local hospital...I have seen patients come in with serious problems with the band and gastric bypasses. I am curious what serious complications have happened to you or people you know? How often do these complications occur? I really want this, but I know there are risks with every kind of surgery, and when something foreign is put into your body. I'm just trying to look at all avenues. I am really afraid of going through this and fighting the same struggles I'm going through now.

Thanks

Last Monday, the 21st of July, I had a fill. Monday night things seemed to be a little off, I was eating o.k. but had problems belching things back up.

Tuesday it seemed to be a little better.

Wednesday I went back and ask for just a little taken out and they did.

Thursday I went back for more to be taken out.

Friday morning I was so weak my hubby had to drive me to the Dr. office. They took more out and sent me to the hospital for a swallow test. I was told not to leave until the tech called and told my Dr. the results.

Next thing I knew there stood Dr. H.

I knew this wasn't going to be good news.

He took more out, re-did the swallow test himself, took even more out and did the test again and told me he would like to admit me to give me IV and watch me.

The results of the test, I was 100% blocked, not even Water was going down. I was dehydrated , had lost 12 pounds from Monday until Friday.

Dr. H also said my band was laying straight across and was suppose to be at an angle.

I have almost no fill left and have to get another test done before my next fill, worse case, they go in and move the band to where its suppose to be.

Dr. is hoping the band will straighten itself out while empty and resting.

Would I advise my friend to get a band, yes. Would I do it all over again, yes.

All of us using the Clinic at Texarkana Ar. , we have good doctors.

:)

That is the most amazing answer I hear from anyone who has been banded with good results or bad. That they have absolutely no regrets of getting the band and would do it all over again. That is what helps me with my high and lows of my fears. Bravo.....

I haven't had any problems whatsoever. I would say on a whole that serious complications from the band are rare if you consider how many are done each day in comparison to how many are seen in the ER.

I think it would be good if you look at some long term studies. It is better than anecdotal evidence. Most of us do wonderful, some of us have a rough go of it and a few have serious complications. The band is the best thing that ever happened to me and I have no regrets.

That is the most amazing answer I hear from anyone who has been banded with good results or bad. That they have absolutely no regrets of getting the band and would do it all over again. That is what helps me with my high and lows of my fears. Bravo.....

Anytime. Check out the doctors as well as the band.Nothing like having a doctor you can trust. Good luck.

I'm curious to know what kind of problems you see coming in the ER. I'm scheduled for August 5th to have mine done.

I've seen people come in with there stomachs swollen shut from a small stomach bug...they were in the hospital for 3-4 days because of dehydration. I recently saw a woman with a perforated bowel from a gastric bypass...they nicked her bowel during the resection. I've seem bands slip off, and patients being in pain. There is a lot that can go wrong, but I've also been hearing that this is not suppose to be forever...my doc tells me otherwise.

Thank you for all your posts...it great to hear the good and bad!:eek:

I have been banded since October 2006. I haven't had any complication. The band is the best decision I have ever made for myself.

Smith, like you, I work in the health field. I worked in a hospital and saw a fair amount of weight loss surgery patients come in with horrendous complications. For several years, I used these observations as my justification for not considering weight loss surgery despite my morbid obesity and numerous comorbidities, and failed attempts at weight loss.

Then one day I thought: "This is a hospital, well people don't come here. Therefore, although I see some people who have had unfortunate experiences with weight loss surgery, I never see the many more people for whom intervention has worked well." I thought about the other illnesses I see in the hospital, cancer, heart disease, stroke. Sure there are a lot of folk with those conditions in the hospital but there are many more people who don't have those conditions. In other words, if you work in a hospital, every customer is sick or they would not be there.

When I examined my thought process, I saw the fault in my logic. I began to research weight loss surgery more and eventually decided upon lapband. I am so glad I did. It has turned out to be the best decision I have made for myself.

I just had my surgery on Friday and my nurses were telling me that they think I made a great decision. They said since my dr has been doing lap band, they haven't seen anyone come in with major complications, unlike gastric bypass patients. Made me feel good...I know complications can happen but they are rare.

I work as a university lecturer and have a health care background. I saw major complications of gastric bypass surgery in the late 1970s when this surgery was still quite experimental. So I was very particular in researching the lapband procedure.

I very carefully checked out the research and surgery results that have been published in reputable medical journals before I signed up for surgery. The results are overwhelmingly positive. It's hard to get hold of these reports if you're not subscribed to a academic library but some of them are available on the web. EG

This is very recently published about how effective the band is in treating Type 2 Diabetes JAMA -- Adjustable Gastric Banding and Conventional Therapy for Type 2 Diabetes: A Randomized Controlled Trial, January 23, 2008, Dixon et al. 299 (3): 316

This article is another example of a study you can read online http://www.core.monash.org/assets/documents/lapband-results-700-patients.pdf

The results of the medical research in this area are overwhelmingly positive and are supported by the patient experiences reported on this discussion board everyday. Only two days to go for me - can't wait to start on the journey to a new and improved me!

Melanie

Edited by melaniematters
typos

Shauna80: I also am an RN and after years of dieting & losing & gaining. I had to write out a chart 1 side lapband risks & 1 side obesity risks and the obesity risks were far more concerning. For the first time in my life, I can feel that lifestyle changes, healthy food choices, Portion Control and excercise will work. You need to find what you can live with permanently. Even though lapbanding can be reversed, you need to enter into the process as being permanent, then this "tool" becomes your partner.MarilynC