Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Post - Angry About Lap Band.

I'm sorry that my first post here is an angry one. I am considering lap band surgery because I've weighed over 300 lbs most of my life and need to do something about my weight. I've been able to loose a ton of weight before, but put it all back on. A few years ago I went for 355 to 278 with diet and exercise. My present weight is 332.

I read one article on the Lap Band lifestyle that really put me off to the whole thing and I want to know what others here think about it. My overall take from the article is that a lap band is the equivalent of someone putting a gun to your head [maybe somewhat less dramatic] if you don't follow an extremely strict diet. Anyone following the diet would loose the weight whether or not they had the lap band procedure.

The article explained that post op patients need to follow the following diet:

• 3-4 days of clear liquid diet
  • 0 caffeine for 3 months
  • 0 carbonated beverages
  • 6 weeks of liquid diet
  • followed by 6 to 12 weeks of shredded food diet
  • 0 bread
  • 0 potatoes
  • 0 high Fiber veggies
  • 0 fried foods
  • 0 nuts
  • 0 fruits with the skin still
  • 0 steaks and maybe 0 hamburger for some

I went into this thinking that the procedure would let me eat whatever I wanted but that I would eat less because of the lap band. Now I'm thinking that if I'm desperate enough to consider the lap band, I might as well pretend that I already have one in place and follow a modified version of the diet above. I would achieve the same results without any danger of nasty complications.

What do you think?

Charles

i don't think your information is exactly correct, but yes, there is a restriction on what we can eat when banded.

here's the info my nutritionist gave me:

i am on a pure liquid diet for 2 weeks before and after my surgery. weeks 2-4 post-op consist of a "mushy" diet -- soft foods like refried Beans, egg salad, flakey fish, etc. the pre-op diet is designed to srhink the size of your liver (which needs to b e lifted to place te band.) the liquid diet ensures a safer surgery pre-op and helps with healing post-op.

caffeine dehydrates you -- that's why the docs suggest we refrain.

after that i am on to regular foods. it has been strongly suggested that i refrain from eating the following:

-- carbonated beverages (they can stretch the pouch)

-- alcohol (empty calories)

-- empty carbs (i.e. doughy breads, cakes, Cookies, etc)

-- fruit juices (again, v. calorie dense and non-filling)

-- ice cream, chocolate & milkshakes (calorie dense and non-filling)

it's also been suggested that i may have difficulty eating the following:

- red meat

- dry white meat (i.e. chicken breast, pork)

- fibrous veggies (asparagus stalks, corn)

also, for 2 days after a fill, my surgeon's office recommends a liquid diet followed by a day of mushies in order to let our stomachs heal from the tightening.

you can eat almost anything after surgery -- however, many of those are poor choices that will affect your ability to lose weight. in order to be successful, you have to be willing to sacrifice some of the foods you once loved. the band just makes it easier to eat less of good, nutritious food. consuming calorie dense food will just make it harder to lose weight.

Edited by kristenmh

You need to do your research, but I think you've been given mis-information. This is a great site for info from people who are and will be banded. There are many threads with many thoughts. It may not be for you, but it has changed many, many lives for the better.

I'm sorry that my first post here is an angry one. I am considering lap band surgery because I've weighed over 300 lbs most of my life and need to do something about my weight. I've been able to loose a ton of weight before, but put it all back on. A few years ago I went for 355 to 278 with diet and exercise. My present weight is 332.

I read one article on the Lap Band lifestyle that really put me off to the whole thing and I want to know what others here think about it. My overall take from the article is that a lap band is the equivalent of someone putting a gun to your head [maybe somewhat less dramatic] if you don't follow an extremely strict diet. Anyone following the diet would loose the weight whether or not they had the lap band procedure.

• 0 carbonated beverages
  • 6 weeks of liquid diet
  • 0 bread
  • 0 potatoes
  • 0 high fiber veggies
  • 0 fried foods
  • 0 nuts

I went into this thinking that the procedure would let me eat whatever I wanted but that I would eat less because of the lap band. Now I'm thinking that if I'm desperate enough to consider the lap band, I might as well pretend that I already have one in place and follow a modified version of the diet above. I would achieve the same results without any danger of nasty complications.

What do you think?

Charles

In part some of these facts are correct. But that is depending on what you as an individual can tolerate. Some people cannot tolerate breads, rice,Pasta, etc. But I do not believe that the majority of bandsters are restricted to this list of can'ts. I know I'm not.

Not all doctors require the liquid diet for 6 weeks. Personally I can tell you what MY doctor had ME do. Every doctor is going to be different. Personally I was on a 10 day low carb no sugar diet preop. The purpose was to decrease the size of my liver so that it would not be in the way for the surgery. No eating for 8 hours before the surgery. Post op I did have to be on Clear liquids for 2-3 days. After that I got to progress to full liquids(pretty much anything that could be blended up). That part of the diet was for between days 4-14 postop, depending on how well my body reacted. I have been able to progress to mushies already with no problems unless I eat too fast or do not chew well. By next week I will be adding regular food again. I really do not feel that I am on a super strict diet. My stomach needs to heal and that is the main reason for the progression from liquid to mushie and then back to normal. I do not feel hungry if I eat on a regular schedule.

I hope that you do not base your decision of having the Lapband procedure done by one article's view on what you cannot have after surgery. Please talk to others on here-they can REALLY help you!!!

Good luck on your decision!!

Edited by lotzasunshine

I urge you to find a reputable surgeon in your area and attend a seminar. The article you cite is not accurate with the experience of most people.

Here's my experience:

1 week pre-op low carb, liquid diet. It wasn't fun, but I survived. After surgery, I was on liquids for 2 weeks and mushy food for 2 weeks. When I moved to regular food, I could eat just about anything in small quantities if I eat slowly and chew well. I have trouble with a lot of bread, but can eat a little. I have trouble with fresh pineapple because of the fiber, and I have to be really careful with grapes because of the skin. Nothing else bothers me.

Everyone is different, and many people have trouble with some foods, but you adjust.

The band is not magic. You can't eat anything you want and expect to lose weight. The band is a tool that can help you lose weight, but you still have to make healthy food choices and exercise if you want to lose weight.

Guest Leslie2Lose

• 0 carbonated beverages
  • 6 weeks of liquid diet
  • 0 bread
  • 0 potatoes
  • 0 high fiber veggies
  • 0 fried foods
  • 0 nuts

What do you think?

Charles

Charles - I'm not sure what article you are referring to, but it isn't 100% accurate. Yes, you are placed on a post-op diet by your doctor. Your body has to heal after surgery. Thus the liquids and mushies. By week six I had already progressed to eating "normal foods". You can still eat what you want to the point of what your body can tolerate. My doctor recommends to cut out white breads, white rices, fried foods because they are higher in fat. He didn't tell me I couldn't ever have them before. Honestly, I've had everything you've mentioned above - in moderation/occcasionally.

Some people can tolerate breads, fried foods, potatoes...etc, some people cannot. I for one cannot eat white bread or scrambled eggs. I have a problem with fried foods as well - the extra "bredding" tends to get stuck. I had hamburger meat this past weekend (grilled - no bun) and it was fine. I choose to avoid carbonated drinks, but have had a sip here and there. This is from someone that would drink 4-5 a day pre-surgery.

You don't have a cookie-cutter diet when you are banded. To be successful you must eat Proteins first, then veggies, then fruits - followed by "the other" foods. I don't do without anything I want. I didn't have this surgery to starve or deprive myself. I've learned from trial and error what my body can tolerate. Good luck to you. Do your own research and don't limit your knowledge to one article that scared you.

Well Charles, I understand what you are saying but If it was that easy to train your mind to think you already have the lapband, you would have done it along time ago at least I would have. I had the same questions as you did about it. But I made up my mind and went through with the surgery and I don't regret a minute of it. I was banded April 17th and I am down 48lbs and I have not had any problems. I do eat pretty much what I want. I just don't want as much of it. I do not deprive myself of the things that I want. I cannot eat hamburger but I have talked with some that can and they eat steak also. It is different for all. You have to do what is best for you and alot of foods are trial and error. The doctors give you the list of do's and don'ts because it was found in there study research. By the way I was not on Clear Liquids for six weeks and nor was I on shredded food for 6 weeks. I was on liquids for one week after surgery, I was on soft foods for one weeks and then I was able to start on solid foods in moderation. I eat potatoes just not alot of them, I eat my Protein and I have my potato with it. Not every meal but when I want it. You can have fried foods if your stomach can handle it but ask yourself if you are trying to get healthy why would you want fried foods. If you are not sure of the surgery then I would suggest to you not to have it done. Whatever you decide I wish you the best.

3-4 days of clear liquid diet Liquid diet/mushy diet is not for weight loss, pre-op it is to shrink the liver to make the surgery safe, post-op it is to allow healing of the internal sutures

0 caffeine for 3 months 0 caffeine is recommended by some but not by others, it can cause nausea right after surgery. Some also recommend avoiding it because it is a stimulant that can stimulate your appetite...but either way it is good to avoid caffeine

0 carbonated beverages Yes, carbonated beverages can stretch your new stomach and it really isn't that big of a sacrafice.

6 weeks of liquid diet See clear liquid (above)

followed by 6 to 12 weeks of shredded food diet see clear liquid (above)

I DON'T SEE ANYONE ON AN 18 WEEK DIET. I WAS ON 2 WEEKS LIQUID PRE-OP, 2 WEEKS LIQUID POST-OP THEN 2 WEEKS MUSHIES THEN SOLID FOODS.

0 bread (there are certain foods that people can no longer handle, bread is often one of them but not for everyone, again to me it is worth the sacrafice)

0 potatoes (not true, although some of us choose to be on a low carb diet for weight loss but it is our choice)

0 high fiber veggies (absolutely not true, high fiber veggies are highly recommended)

0 fried foods (again, not true. Of course maybe some can not handle it and it really should be avoided by all of us for health reasons, you can have fried foods if you want...too much will hinder weight loss though)

0 nuts See bread (above)

0 fruits with the skin still See bread (above)

0 steaks and maybe 0 hamburger for some See Bread (above)

I can handle nuts, steaks, hamburgers, fruit skins (if I CHEW VERY WELL). I got stuck on bread once but I am going for low carb so that is a good thing to me. The diet is not extremely strict. You can eat anything that you can tolerate but the band does not allow you to overdo it. Of course if you want to reach your goal you need to make good food choices and it is recommended to eat your Protein first then your veggies then carbs, that is about it. If we could just pretend that we have a band and just eat less on our own then none of us would be here, would we? The band keeps us from overeating and keeps us from being hungry. It is a great tool and I am very happy with it.

Edited by Jodi_620

Charles, I'm just starting on this journey myself, but from what I've read here, the things you are going to be able to eat after you have completely healed (10-12 weeks after surgery) vary wildly from person to person. There are people here who eat bread with no problem and others who can't tolerate it at all. The same for many of the other "0" foods you listed. One constant does seem to be that you must chew everything VERY well.

I didn't consider WLS for a long time because I knew it was still going to require a change of eating habits on my part, and if I could do that, why have surgery? But just this past year, after putting back on 40 pounds that I had kept off for a year and a half, I decided I needed the tool that the Lap Band would provide. Yes, I've mourned over foods I'm probably going to have to give up...but then I kicked myself and said "Good Grief woman, it's just food." I've got to learn to eat to live, rather than living to eat. And who knows, further down the line, I may be able to allow myself a bit of the "forbidden" foods that I am fond of...but then again, by that time I may find myself not so fond of them anymore...kind of like old friends that you look back on and realize "boy, they seemed like great, fun friends at the time, but really, they were just jerks and using me...good riddance." lol

So, do some reading here, ask hard questions of the forum members and make the choice that is right for you. And best of luck, whatever you decide.:lol:

Personally I would like to know how many of the people who wrote these article have actually been banded? You will not know all the foods you can and cannot tolerate until you try them. You don't have to give up all the foods you love. No, you can't have them all the time and in the quantities you are presently consuming, but you can have them in moderation.

PLEASE go to a seminar and talk with MULTIPLE doctors and surgeons before deciding that it is a diet of restrictions only.

Hi! First of all, Welcome to LBT!!

My first thought was that you need to do more research before having the band installed. Where was this article? As with any WLS there are mainstream media and society that looks at surgery as an easy way out and you should just "do this on your own." Okay, well, if I could do this in my own, I wouldn't be here right now, waiting for a surgery date.

With proper restriction, you should be able to eat just about anything without getting stuck IF you are eating small amounts, slowly and chewing well. There are some foods that t become intolerable for some. bread, Pasta and rice seem to be the main ones. Drier pieces of meat are another. It's different for everyone.

As far as a pre-op diet and the post-op diets, those are all dependent on what your surgeon requires and can vary. The pre-op diet if there is one is usually to determine if you're serious about your Quest to change your lifestyle as a bandster and to shrink your live so it's easier to get under it to the stomach.

The post-op diet is strictly for healing purposes. A liquid diet of 4-6 weeks is ideal for healing but most surgeons are only requiring a couple of weeks at most. Which I think is a mistake b/c slippage rates have been increasing due to the shorter liquid stages. After liquids, you have the mushy stage where you need to be eating soft or mashed foods. This is usually a couple of weeks then you start adding more solid food slowly to tolerance. The reason for this is to heal the stomach well before you put so-called "real" food in it. If the stomach (it's a muscle) is moving while digesting food, the band doesn't have a chance to "seat" itself to the position it's been placed in and that can cause a slip which requires more surgery to fix. A slip can lead to all sorts of problems if it's not caught soon enough and you can't always tell if it's slipped.

The advantage of this new TOOL that you are thinking of is that with proper restriction, you can feel less hunger, you are eating only when you should- at mealtime and you are eating a lot less food (hopefully it's healthy food that you're eating) and not feeling deprived or starving. There is something called "bandster hell" which is the time between surgery, during healing and proper restriction with your fills. You will be hungry and most people do try to follow some sort of calorie guidelines so they aren't out of control until restriction happens.

That's it in a nutshell. I think. I'm sure I've missed something. But my advice to you is do your research. Don't let one article put you off. This can be a wonderful thing if you use it correctly and go into it with the thought that it's a TOOL and not a miracle cure.

Ask questions and seek answers and you'll come to a decision that's right for you.

Take care!

The post op diet you read about isn't correct. I was on liquids for 2 days and then pureed foods for 4 weeks.

I also don't get where "angry" falls into this equation. Either this procedure is right for you or it isn't. It will take effort to lose weight whatever you choose to do.

Good luck and welcome to LBT.

Guest Leslie2Lose

I went back and read some of the articles that you mentioned. The main thing that I noticed is they said you should "avoid" certain foods, because they can cause problems. Not that they will. It didn't state that you can have 0 of something. I also read the same information that my doctor provided. I knew I may not be able to tolerate certain foods, but decided my health was more important than eating bread and a big steak. Also, Like I said before it is trial and error.

The article written by the banded person (the first one), she is only giving her personal opinion/i.e. her doctors. I wasn't on "shredded" food for month two. That may be what her doctor recommended, but isn't the norm in my experience. She also didn't mention the importance of fills. She stated that after banded you can only eat 6-8 ounces at a time. For me it took a couple of fills before I reached that point.

I think you should attend a seminar, maybe go to a support group meeting and definately get a consult. Things appear a certain way in black and white print; but reality is often very different.