Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Dangerous is it to PB alot?

Hi guys,

Ive just joined up here and made a thread in the introductions section, but basically i was banded back at the end of February, and im down about 75-80 pounds.

I think i have the 10cc band. First fill was 4cc, and I just recently got 2 more.

The reason I'm asking is because I have been PB'ing a lot recently. I lost a lot of weight after my first filling and im pretty sure my stomach shrunk enough so that i didnt have major restriction. When i went back to get the second filling the nurse warned me that it would be alot smaller now.

Well it certainly is, and am having to get used to it! I think im getting the hang of it, but even though im mostly on mushy foods right now, I will still PB a bit back up fairly frequently.

Its not like a seriously painful vomitting or anything, just slight discomfort and usually a bit comes back up or just slime sometimes. Is this really dangerous? Im somewhat concerned that the band will slip, but maybe im over reacting. Anyways, if you guys have any experiences to share, id appreciate it.

Thanks!

Brendan

I know everyone has to decide for themselves how tight they need to be. I try to remember that the band is there to help dim my appetite and help me feel full. I have to do the rest. I have to decide what quality of life I want to have with the band as well.

I can certainly understand how after so many years of struggling with weight, we all want to just focus on doing whatever we can to get the weight off and keep it off. Sometimes it seems that can be at the detriment of overall health.

For me and my band, I would try to keep adverse reactions away as much as possible. It seems that things that strain the area around the band would be things that might at some point cause it to fail. So again, for me, that means keeping PBs, sliming, and getting stuck at bay as much as I can. That is not at all to say that anything you are doing would be causing damage - you are probably still working your way to where you need to be.

I also know these are things that I just don't want to be a part of my normal everyday life. I also don't want it to be a part of what my family or friends have to know or ever see. I want to be able to enjoy most foods - just in smaller quantities - and still be able to eat out with friends and family without worrying about running to the bathroom or making someone else uncomfortable.

Good Luck!

I am not an expert as I am being banded friday.. but from the things i have read from other bandsters.. you are either eating too fast, not chewing well enough.. or the band is too tight.. I think the only danger with PBing is that you are not getting solid nutrience down. if you are on mushies and pbing then you are most likely too tight

Well put Westcoast....That is exactly the way I want my life with the band to be also.....Being very tight is not worth it to me.

Have a great day.

What is the difference in PBing and throwing up?

My nurse would say that you are too tight and should get a partial unfill right away. PB-ing puts you at a great risk for complications. You should be able to eat solid foods. How long ago was the fill?

If the fill was in the last couple days, you may well end up TIGHTER in a few more days--happens with some people.

If it was a week or two ago and you're still on mushies and can't eat food, then you're too tight.

Any reflux?

What is the difference in PBing and throwing up?

Pbing is throwing up....just that it is mostly slime mixed with food. I know to much information but there is a difference from what we are used to in describing throwing up.

My nurse would say that you are too tight and should get a partial unfill right away. PB-ing puts you at a great risk for complications. You should be able to eat solid foods. How long ago was the fill?

If the fill was in the last couple days, you may well end up TIGHTER in a few more days--happens with some people.

If it was a week or two ago and you're still on mushies and can't eat food, then you're too tight.

Any reflux?

well, my fill was last Wednesday. And I pb'd last this morning on cottage cheese. But i think that was because i am tighter in the morning. No acid reflux at all! Which is strange because i had it a lot after the first filling.

This afternoon I ate a veggie burrito, very slowly, and it went down fine though, so maybe i just need to get used to eating things slower.

After my first filling i remember my initial impulse was that it was wayyy too tight and i wanted it unfilled right away. I had tickets to leave town that day though and going back in would mean canceling the trip. I ended up just dealing with it and it did get better.

Pbing is throwing up....just that it is mostly slime mixed with food. I know to much information but there is a difference from what we are used to in describing throwing up.

If i had to describe it to someone who's never done it, i would say that when you throw up, food is partially digested so you get stomach acid and grossness coming back up kinda uncontrollably. PB'ing is kinda just like gagging on something really hard lol. When it comes back up its not nearly as bad cause it never really went down all the way.

I guess I would say just watch it and eat as carefully and mindfully as you can. If you're pb-ing a lot or have any reflux, I think and unfill is absolutely the way to go (I've heard the nurse at our office say that over and over and over and over again.)

If you're just tighter than usual but can control the pb's by chewing carefully and can get in your Protein . . . then I guess it's a comfort level thing for you. Personally, I got tighter about a week out after my last fill, but I think that varies a lot.

I'm glad you were able to get some food in though!

You have to be aware of why you're pbing. If you're not chewing properly or taking to large of bites or maybe eating something that's too dry or chewy; you may need to make changes. If you're doing all of those things right, then you may be too tight.

I need a fill desperately right now but I still occasionally pb if I eat too fast and don't chew well. I obviously don't need an unfill. I need to concentrate on my eating.

I have a very fickle band. I was too tight at 3.2 in a 4cc band then I am just right now at 3.45 go figure. If you PB a lot you can do not only damage to your band but to your esopogus. If I were you I would have .3 or .5 taken out. You should be able to consume 1/4-1/2 cup of food, Protein first. Good luck you. BTW, for the longest time I felt the only way I knew I had good restriction would be IF I PBd. Now I only do it like once a week. I use to do it more often when I was too restricted. Give yourself a break for a few days and go on liquids, then mushies, then solids. Good luck and keep us posted.

You can also PB if you eat too much. If only alittle of what you are eating is coming up, then it may be that you should eat just a little less and see how that works. I cannot eat much in the mornings at all. I am way way tighter then. At lunch time I can eat a little and by dinner I can eat about my half cup of food. If I have just a little left on my plate, I am breaking myself of that Just finish it off mentality. Sometimes its still hard to do. I have only been banded for 4 months. If I eat just a tad too much, part of it comes back up!

Good Luck

Tracy