Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long did your approval take??

I'm just getting started, and I hope to be able to have surgery in September. I plan on making my appts as soon as possible...and getting everything done ASAP...I was wondering how long it's taken on avg to get their approval? My doc told me it can take 3-6months...Way too long for me to wait!

my cousin had the surgery last year and it took her almost 18mths. I think part of it was that her insurance kept denying her. I have also just started the process. I was denied once because of direct exclusion on insurance and I'm trying to convince my husbands company to have exclusion lifted. I talked to them a week ago and haven't heard anything back. I have an appeal letter ready to go just in case. I'm hoping to have mine done by the end of the year, but I'm not sure that will happen just because of the insurance b.s. Depending on your insurance, they may have you do a pre-op diet too and that is generally a 6mth period. So, I don't want to tell you that it's unlikely to happen, but have other options ready, and 3-6 mths isn't too bad, just make sure you are really ready for this. It's a huge life change and many people aren't prepared for that. Good luck hope everything works out!

Erika S.

my cousin had the surgery last year and it took her almost 18mths. I think part of it was that her insurance kept denying her. I have also just started the process. I was denied once because of direct exclusion on insurance and I'm trying to convince my husbands company to have exclusion lifted. I talked to them a week ago and haven't heard anything back. I have an appeal letter ready to go just in case. I'm hoping to have mine done by the end of the year, but I'm not sure that will happen just because of the insurance b.s. Depending on your insurance, they may have you do a pre-op diet too and that is generally a 6mth period. So, I don't want to tell you that it's unlikely to happen, but have other options ready, and 3-6 mths isn't too bad, just make sure you are really ready for this. It's a huge life change and many people aren't prepared for that. Good luck hope everything works out!

Erika S.

I know its a huge life change...thats what I am looking forward to! I haven't been overweight my whole life, just the last 6 years. Its been due to having PCOS and insulin resistance, but I didn't know I had it for the first 4 years....and have spent the last 2 years doing everything! I am ready to have my old self back. I have the reverse image of a bigger person. I think I'm smaller than what I am. My self image doesn't match my body image. I know what my body can look like muscular, fit and in great shape...I plan to be there sooner than later! thanks for the advise. I just hope it doesnt take that long.

Hi, I started last August and am just now getting to the point where they are submitting to insurance. Do you know if your insurance company requires you to have a 6 month pre-op diet supervised by a physician or have you already done that? I have Cigna and they require the 6 month pre-op. I also had to have a ton of testing done. Including, but not limited to, a barium swallow and gallbladder ultrascan. The ultrascan showed some gallstones and I had to have my gallbladder removed 2 weeks ago this Wed. I am fine from that surgery. I will have surgery either the end of Aug. or the beginning of Sept.

I wish you all the luck. If you are self pay, you may not have to go through all of these things.

Ks

Kathy,

Did it take you long to get rid of the barium? I had mine done on Wednesday and it took several days for my body to "dispose" of all that barium. I drank lots of fluids but it seems like everything turned to instant gas when I ate or drank. Even Water turned to gas! I had the Upper GI and sleep study done last week, and the gall bladder scan done the week before plus my yearly mammogram. I hope I am done testing for a while! Lisa

Hi I just got my approval for the surgery but I have 4 more dietician visits first that is required by my insurance. This process could take up to 1 year is what we were all informed. I went to my seminar at the end of april. When I fimish my 4 dietician visits then i meet with the surgeon. I will be done in october with those. So I have no idea when the surgeon is going to put me on the schedule. I will say this it is a long process it isnt something you can do overnight. This is a life time change not like you can go to las vegas and get married that day. So expect at least 8 months at least.. goodluck

julie

Hi Lisa!

You know, I actually don't think it took me that long to get rid of it. I remember there being more of a chalky stool (sorry, but it's true ya'll). I did good ok though. What really surprised me was the gallbladder scan. I had zero symptoms and yet I had stones. Dang it! The gallbladder surgery was fine but it was amazing how much pain I had the day after. A little less the day after that and then less and less. Almost 2 weeks later, I feel really good!

Do you have a surgery date?

Ks

depends on your insurance. i had to go a 3 moth diet/exercise thing for my insurance and i had my first appt march and just got my approval last week. no matter how long it takes i say you should stick with it. Good luck

Kathy, you are sooo lucky you didnt experience any pain with the gullstones!!!!!!! Worst pain of my life! Be happy about that though! The recovery from the surgery wasnt as bad as the gullbladder attack! I was happy to be in pain from the surgery, atleast I knew there was an end to that pain I was in! Now, this surgery cant be as bad cause that was done laproscopically too! Atleast I hope......time will tell....being banded july 29th! Hope for a smooth transition! Debbie

It took me three weeks to get the barium swallow, psych evaluation and nutrition classes fit into my work schedule.

Then the paperwork was submitted to United Healthcare, I was approved in about a week and a half.

My surgery date was set right away which left me one week to get my bloodwork, EKG and physicians release done and the results in to the surgeon in time for my pre-op appointment which was five days before my surgery.

It really depends on your insurance company though, mine did not require anything from me other than a BMI above 40 or a BMI between 35-40 with co-morbidities. I just made it with a 41 BMI so I didn't have to document any co-morbidities.

turned in paperwork 6/5, approved 7/21, for surgery 8/5, After 6 month supervised diet, syke evaluation, dietation, and labs, cigna epo finally approved. I cannot figure out why it took 6 long weeks for the insurance gods to make a decision. I hope no one else has to wait that long, it was hell.

I went to my first siminar 11/06 and FINALLY had surgery 1/08. This included my 6 month diet. It was a long wait for me. Glad I stuck it out!

I saw my pcp the middle of may. Couldnt get in to see surgeon until june 17. Scheduled lab,cxr,ekg,sleep study,pft,stress test,consultation with pulmonologist and cardiologist and as of fri,july 25, i am waiting for everything to be submitted to insurance. I did talk to a young lady in ins. Dept that submits it to the medical group and she said bc/bs of il hmo usually takes just a couple of days for them to make a decision. Soooooo.........