Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

calling on my tens/fellow bandsters for support. join me! i'm getting back on track

Life certainly does have a way of affecting how we treat ourselves, or in my case it does. I have a son in college who is really struggling with the transition to adulthood, and we are in the middle of picking a college for my daughter next year. My son was a very successful athlete and student in high school, but learned terrible weight managing habits from wrestling, which if you don't know is rampant in the sport. He has dropped forty pounds in less than a year at college and looks really unhealthy. He has moved home for a semester to see an eating disorder therapist and nutritionist. I feel in many ways responsible. Really, I didn't lose weight on my own by eating healthy and exercising. I too had to turn to other means, the band. I don't feel like the cause, but now I wonder if we had an unhealthy reltionship with food and body image in our house without realizing it. Hmmm...pretty deep questions for a weekend! I am really trying to not allow the stress of everything to undermine my progress, but I am one who likes to turn to chocolate!

I haven't gotten back to exercising yet because of this darn asthma. I am so tired from not sleeping at night because I cannot breathe. I thought the Singular was working, but after watching a football game in the misty rain it has only been worse! Enough of that whining...tomorrow is a new day. That's the beauty of it, isn't it. :(

Good news...my weight was 178 this morning, mainly because I cannot stop coughing to eat! Ha! I am still committed to exercising this week. And a new goal, I am going to try to eat lean Proteins and vegetables, rather than starches.

sory i haven't been back on. i got another infection in my uterus and now we are talking about having a hysterectomy. i have the appointment with my doc tomrrow to discuss..i'm a little scared.

i have to go to the doctor today and we will be discussing a hysterectomy. i'm too young for this, but i have yet another uterine infection. terrible terrible back pain and i've started bleeding black blood. i'm afraid.

want.....are you getting afraid of yours?

bandster- i am not nervous at all. not yet anyway. i just heard from the dr office yesterday that my insurance approved everything and its a go. so i am about 2 weeks away. it is such a relief for me, to get it all taken care of. i just want to feel better, ya know? no more bleeding heavily for weeks, no more cramps from hell, no more back pain...i cant wait! also cant wait because the sooner its done with the sooner i can get a fill and get back to losing this damn weight! i am still really stuggling with it. i have good days and bad days. i am just working on it, ya know? i will lose a pound or two and then gain it back, back and forth... i have decided that as long as i maintain at 175 and dont gain then i will be ok with that.

my boys start football tonight. i think it will be good for me. keep my busy and active. i am going to take the stroller and walk with my daughter while they have practice. that way when we get home i can do dinner and homework and all that without feeling guilty about not exercising.

i hope you are feeling ok bandster.

wifemom- i worry about if my issues with weight will have an impact on my kids as they grow up too! i am sure your son has been under major pressure from the coaches and team members. wrestling is a hard sport. my husband was a wrestler and the things they do to make weight are crazy. it worries me for my boys! and i hope with all my might that my daughter will not struggle with what i did/have/still do my entire life. i want to have this all under control so that when she is old enough to understand all this i will be a healthy, thin, and with it mom so i can help her!

wifemom..is he becoming anorexic? i know my husband was doing boxing for a little while, and the fast that they do, along with the diuretics, etc. are insane. that is why they don't sweat, they are severly dehydrated. it's crazy. he didn't do it for a while.

i had to deal with anorexia/bulemia at a very young age. they told my mom i would die. i didn't though, i went the oppositte direction. my only advise is to make sure he gets therapy, and even more importantly, make sure he finishes it. i stopped going as soon as i started eating, and i ended up needing the lap band. although, i have medical reasons for becoming overweight (pcos), i still started eating unhealthily.

Thanks for all of the encouragement! I hope everything goes well with your health issues. Like I said, I felt like a new person after my hysterectomy. I have to take very low dose HRT, but otherwise feel like I have a new lease on life! It is a great complement to the band and weight loss.

My son is seeing a therapist who specializes in eating disorders. Also, his medical doctor started him on anti-depressants which are used to treat eating disorders. He is staying at home for a semester and caddying at a country club near our home while he gets treatment. It is almost surreal to talk so openly about eating disorder problems with my son who just a year ago seemed so completely on the right track. He was health conscious, active, successful in school, etc. Now it seems his focus and confidence are gone. Isn't it interesting and devastating how food plays such a defining role in every aspect of our lives, physical, social, and emotional?!?

holy cow. life seems to be going in a hundred directions lately. some days i am in control and some days i just hang on and hope to make it through!

wifemom--it sounds like you are on the right track with your son. i wish you both the best and a speedy recovery.

bandster--how are you feeling? how did the discussion with your doc go about the hysterectomy? unfortunately i had to move the date of mine back a month into october. conflicts at work, but oh well. i am really upset that i will be unfilled that long. i cant justify spending the money for a fill, the unfill and then another fill. that adds up! and fast! so i will just maintain until then.

i have been doing better for the most part. i am worried still so i called my regular doctor and she filled an rx for phentermine (sp wrong i think, sorry). i am going to pick that up tonight. i think that will help me maintain until i can get filled again.

my boys have started peewee football so we are on the go most nights with practice and games. plus we have 4-h stuff. its good though. keeps me from being home and mindlessly eating. last night i chased my little girl around the field and the playground while the boys had practice. now that was a workout. up and down and around the playground. holy cow, she worked me out! it was great and we both had fun. i think she was almost as worn out as i was.

i am maintaining my weight. thats great for me. i was petrified i would start packing it back on! i know when i start feeling better i will be more motivated to really get into this again.

hope everyone is doing good!

i've been sick, haven't gotten better...severe pain. not eating right. going back to the gyno tomorrow. he couldn't discuss operation until i'm not infected. now, i'm not infected, but in a lot of pain. unable to work, etc. i'll let you all know.

i weigh 195 and holding steady. having big problems with sweets the last couple of days. been throwing up most anything with substance.

Becky here (again)...had a brief hiatus from this board, then came back and found your thread, Bandster. I want to join you guys in your solidarity, but now I'm worried about you (and you too Want and Mom/teacher)...it seems like there is bad juju out there right now - it must be where the moon is right now.

Know I'm thinking about all you guys and wishing you the best and hope that things get sorted out so you all can concentrate on your goals going forward.

Please let us all know how you guys are doing!!

Hugs!

i've been home now for 3 weeks (this is the 3rd?? i think...). i'm having my hysterectomy on 9/22. so it is exactly a week away. i'm a little frightened, but i'm ready. i'm in so much pain and sick and they just have to do something.

he's doing an abdominal incision so he can "look around" and make sure i have nothing else in my abdomen like a cyst or something. i'm having a total hysterectomy, cervix and everythign will be gone. ovaries are my problem and i have cervical movement pain, so the only thing that is good is my uterus and it is not really good because my menses are just building up and my uterus is not shedding it's ligning like it is supposed to.

i'm still at 195. not a loss not a gain. my ob doc says weight loss should be much easier once my ovaries are gone.

thank you guys so much for being here for me. we'll have to be getting back on track together...for me it will start after surgery..i'm just too sick.

you are doing great want...holding steady with no fill is nothing short of a great accomplishment..don't short change yourself on that.

and wife mom..the most important thing for your son right now is you..if it weren't for my mom, i would be dead. (that is not an exaggeration).

i'll try to check back more often over the next week.

bandster--well you are gonna beat me into surgery. lucky you. i wish i was having it done today like the plan had been. but oh well, in a month it will be my turn. i am having a total too. get it all the heck outta there! i am so tired of it all and cant wait to feel better. not to mention cant wait to get a fill and back on the losing wagon!

thanks for the support. its hard to think of staying at the same weight as something good when i am not yet to goal. its close, but just outta reach it seems. i know i could do better but i am not. i have no excuses other then i am just not doing it. i will exercise here and there, just havent made the commitment i need to. my fault and my fault alone. i dont want to seem like i am whining about not losing anymore. if i would just do it i would be losing. but i think maybe i am at a place again that i WANT to do it. i went walking last night and felt better. today i WANT to go walking again. its not feeling like a chore to fit in when i get home from work. i hope i keep this feeling.

wifemom--how is your son doing? how are you holding up? i hope you both are doing well.

welcome becky. hope you are doing well.

want...have you had your hysterctomy yet? i'm wondering how you are doing? i developed complications and have just now been able to come off of the pain medicine. and i'm losing weight!!!! i dropped 5 lbs this week. i'm so excited.

please let me know how you are doing....i would like to hear from everyone else too.

wife mom...how is your son doing?

i had my hysto last week on monday. everything went well. i spent 2 nights in the hospital and then went home. i am sore and tired but that is from overdoing things since getting home. but overall i feel fairly good.

my fill doctor wants me to wait 3 weeks to get a fill. i am counting down the days until i can start losing again. i have maintained my weight since the unfill in august...goodness, its been a long time!

i am excited to get this last 25 off. i am shooting for feb to have it all gone so i can get a tt spring of next year. its gonna take hard work, but i am excited and motivated to do it.

my boys both started boxing a few weeks ago. their workouts are so freakin hard! i cant do it. i dont know how they do it. its amazing to me. but i have been doing my own boxing workout at home and love it. i was invited to join the kids during workout and be put through it with their trainer but thought not yet. i couldnt keep up with the kids and would be embarassed! but it will be a few weeks until i get the ok to start exercising or anything.

hope everyone is doing well.

i'm so glad that everything went well for you. i had to spend 5 days in the hospital and i had to receive blood on the 3rd.

my son is actually boxing with his dad now. my husband used to box and he trained really hard. he never ever ate fast food, drank eggs daily, and would run about 10 miles. he looked damn good too!!! he still does, but he's starting to lose his 6 pack a little.

i can't do it. i don't like to be hit...my husband tries to get me to box with him but i haven't taken him up on it. i don't like everything jiggling around as i have to jump around..lol.

well..that is probably one good way to get that last 25 off!!! can't wait to start working with you again. i'm supposed to get my fill on monday.

you better take it easy. i was specifically told not to do dishes, cook, do laundry or anything. especially with the hematoma. i just cooked dinner and i'm hurting now. be careful!

i need to be better about the taking it easy part. i have done really good not picking up the little one, but other then that i think i prolly have overdone things. such is life i guess.

i have been having a harder time then thought i would. my bladder was attached to my uterus with scar tissue and they had a hard time getting the two seperated. i dont even know how to explain the pain from my bladder now. they told me pretty much all i can do is wait it out while it heals. that and take pain killers. they dont help much though. i dread going to the bathroom, lol, its horrible!

its good to hear you are doing good bandster. back on wagon and on the way! i cant wait for my fill. i am going to try to make that appt today. i am kinda nervous about it. i have been unfilled for so long! its like starting all over again. but at least this time i know what to expect!