Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does Anyone Eat Full Fat Products Such As

Yogurt, mayo, butter, salad dressings, etc. ?

I've heard that lap banders should eat low fat but full fat always keeps me fuller longer and keeps my sugar levels more stable.

Just curious if anyone does indeed eat full fat products.

TIA

Edited by speck

I'm not a yogurt eater and dressings I go 'light' on but mayo and butter I eat the real thing. I decided many years ago that I'd rather have a half a teaspoon of real mayo than a cup of the other stuff. And butter -- I figure God gave us butter, man made margarine. Again -- give me a teeny smidge of the real stuff over all the other I can eat and I'll be more satisfied.

I'm not a yogurt eater and dressings I go 'light' on but mayo and butter I eat the real thing. I decided many years ago that I'd rather have a half a teaspoon of real mayo than a cup of the other stuff. And butter -- I figure God gave us butter, man made margarine. Again -- give me a teeny smidge of the real stuff over all the other I can eat and I'll be more satisfied.

So with being banded and eating real butter and mayo it doesn't bother you with the band? I'm not quite sure what the reasoning is about the fat free. Is it because of weight issues or the band itself?

So with being banded and eating real butter and mayo it doesn't bother you with the band? I'm not quite sure what the reasoning is about the fat free. Is it because of weight issues or the band itself?

No -- there's no problem with fat relative to the BAND. I'm sure it's just a diet/healthier eating issue.

Here's something for those who like Ranch Dressing. I've used this recipe for 28 years!! And you can adjust it CALORICALLY to suit your preferences!

1 cup of mayo (regular, light or fat free)

1 cup of sour cream (regular, light or fat free OR substitute plain yogurt!)

1 cup of small curd cottage cheese

1 packet of Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing mix

Stir together and chill. Great with raw veggies -- but also good with CHIPS! Everyone loves it -- not just dieters!

AND -- take some and thin with milk to the desired consistency to make fresh, yummy salad dressing!!!

NOTE: Don't put in the blender!! The cottage cheese gets 'grainy' if run through a blender!

Enjoy!

I eat regular/full fat mayo, sour cream, cheese and salad dressing. I also haven't used any artificial sweetener. I've been able to lose 77lbs in 8 months.

I'm sure as I get closer to goal I will have to switch to continue to lose but for now it's working for me.

My cholesterol went from 263 down to 116 since being banded as well.

I think it is a diet thing, I have a friend that i was telling that I really liked the sugar free popcicles and she told me if you tell me I can have all of them I want vs only 3 of the real thing I'd rather take the real thing and this is coming from a lady whom has lost 185lbs to date with Lap band. I am sure she was very strict with other things but not with some. So I am with you go with what you feel is best but with moderation is all. Good Luck!!!!!

I try to eat the light stuff as much as possible, ie light dressing, f/f yogurt, skim milk, 1% cottage cheese; however, I prefer real mayo and real butter just like Nana. I don't use much, but there are some things I'm just not going to skimp on. That was something I decided when getting the band. I eat as well as possible most of the time so I can have a treat some of the time. If I have to choke it down because it's disgusting, then it's not worth it. I'm not dieting anymore. I'm just trying to eat as healthy as I can.

I eat the "regular" stuff. Just not as much and not as often.:smile2: I can't eat most of the non fat, because they put sucralose in it. I get a really, really bad 3 day headache from sucralose.

It really does depending on which type of diet you follow. Most of them do work. The big question is which one are you most likely to stick with. Which one suits you best? Fat and carbs do not mix. If you use a low fat, calorie restriction diet then you need to really watch those fat calories. You depend on only higher carbs and lower fat to lose the weight and maintain healthy eating. But if you do a low carb diet -- you eat more fat and the whole fats work better on a low carb diet than low fat foods do. There are now MANY major well respected studies that show that low carb is every bit as healthy (and in some cases even MORE effective) for a host of diseases (cancer, diabetes, heart disease) and blood work indicators as low fat diets. You just can't have it both ways. If you are going to eat quite a few carbs -- cut fat. If you eat fat--watch your carbs.

I eat low fat or fat free for the most part BUT I will eat full fat Ranch dressing sometimes because I like it much better. I would not "freak" if I could not get something in fat free or low fat ( like out to eat)

Rugman that is a great explanation. It was always my understanding too that you either diet low fat or low carb but you can't do both. I notice when I look for products low in fat they are high in carb. So for me I do low carb. And it is also what my doc recommended for me.

I would rather cut the quantity of the food than to substitutethe chemical stuff. Before they started altering all of our food with a chemical equalivant to the real thing we didn't seem to have the "growing" health problems we see today. I can't help but think that most of the new and improved stuff they do to our food is adding to the health problems. just my opnion