Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi again all :mad:

I thought of a question I needed to ask. I am wondering what the actual proper steps are as far as from insurance to the initial surgery. I called the doctor's office to see if they accepted my insurance, which is Blue Shield of California. I live in Oklahoma, but I work from home for a company in California so I have their insurance. I was advised to call the insurance, which I have and was told it is covered, but there were some things they required. I have to have a BMI of a certain amount, which I know won't be a problem, because my BMI is greater than 45. The lady at the doctor's office told me they have a seminar scheduled for the 23rd, which I am going to. My question is, should I go to the seminar, then make an appointment with my PCP for a physical? I just had blood work done back in January or February with my GYN, which showed slightly elevated cholesterol, hypothyroidism, but I don't know if I would qualify for any other comorbidities. My BP seems to be okay. I don't have diabetes, but I am insulin resistant. I was diagnosed with PCOS about 4 or 5 years ago. I do have lower back pain a lot.

Anyway, what are the exact steps should I go through first. Is going to the Seminar first a good idea then getting appointment with primary care and so forth? Sorry if this is confusing and please let me know if you are confused, and I will try and clarify. Sometimes my mind works quicker than my fingers. :biggrin:

hi my insurance blue care family plan. my pcp fax my records over to. the biatric doctor, also i attend a seminar they give you a informational packet to fill out. you will find out everything at the seminar, you can also ask questions.sil.

Hi PS,

I believe with your BMI you should qualify with or without comorbidities. In my case of a BMI of 37 I have to have comorbidities. With my insurance, BCBS FEP PPO, a person qualifies with a BMI of 40, or 35-39, with comorbidities. I attended a seminar first. Then when I had my regular doctor's appointment I told my doctor of my plans to seek out the Lap Band. He agreed with me and helped me with the tests the surgeon requires. I called the surgeon's office before I even had an appointment with him. I explained that I had attended a seminar, sent in a huge packet of paperwork, and had an appointment with my PCP. I asked them what should I tell my doctor and they said I would need an Upper GI, done, gall bladder ultrasound, done, and to have my doctor write a letter of referral and fax it over to them, done! My insurance requires a sleep study so I had my PCP send me over for that, also done. So next month when I see the surgeon for the first time I should have everything done except for the nutrition eval. I actually started with a jerk of a doctor who didn't do much of anything for me except start a phone call eval with the psychologist. I asked the psychologist if she could fax over the results and she said she would. I work for a school district so I am hoping that with most of the tests out of the way I can schedule my surgery over fall break. I work with an autistic child and it's better for both of us if she doesn't have too much time with a sub. She can be Hell on Earth when I take one measly day off of work. LOL!!! I hope I have helped you some. Lisa

Hi Grama,

Thank you for the info. When I called the surgeon's office they told me to go to the seminar, bring the packet with me, which was asking about my history, diet history, weight, weight loss attempts and doctor info. They told me after the seminar, they would contact me to schedule an appointment with the surgeon. I went to see my primary care physician on Friday and told her what I was planning and she just said if the lap band doc needed anything, then she would gladly comply. So, now I guess it all rests in what the surgeon wants. I hope it is soon though. I hope you get yours soon and good luck to you. :crying:

Hi PSJ71,

It sounds as if you are on your way. It took 22 days after the seminar to get my call to schedule my first surgeon's consult. My doctor works out of more than one hospital and I believe most of his twice-monthly seminars are standing room only. I see him Aug. 12. That will make it nearly two months from seminar to first consultation. I think the only thing I need to do now is get an appointment with the nutritionist. Then there will be whatever they require for pre-op. Good luck! Lisa