Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

8 days Post-Op... Incisions are itching! HELP!

Hi There!

I am new the site and have a question regarding my incisions! I am 8 days post op and they are itching like CRAZY ... I also still have a little bit of soarness when I get in and out of bed... Is that normal??

I need some advice on how make the itching stop and I was also wondering if anybody had any good ideas to reduce the scaring... Vitamin E???

HELP!!!! :lol:

Thanks Gang,

Susie Girl!

Hi there.

I was the same. My wounds were itching like crazy, but it eventually settles down. I thought it might have been the dressings, but no it was the incisions themselves. I know its difficult, but try and leave well alone. You could always try and anti-histamine, it might relieve the itch.

Also, when your wounds heal - apparently Bio-oil is very good for scar tissue (very popular with pregnant women for stretchmarks )! Good Luck.:lol:

I don´t know if this is an old wives tale or not, I´ve always been told that when wounds start itching it means that they are healing.

I rubbed mine gently to relieve the itch from time to time. I also took the steri plastors off at day 8 to allow my war wounds to dry up. Check with your doc if that is okay to do.

I´m stitch free as of today! Yippeeee!!

I used liquid Benadryl, it didnt stop it completely, but it did take the edge off.

HTH

Shawna

I don´t know if this is an old wives tale or not, I´ve always been told that when wounds start itching it means that they are healing.

I rubbed mine gently to relieve the itch from time to time. I also took the steri plastors off at day 8 to allow my war wounds to dry up. Check with your doc if that is okay to do.

I´m stitch free as of today! Yippeeee!!

Yeah, I thought it was just the wounds healing, too, the first day they started getting itchy. Then it turned out that I ended up with hives and blisters that looked like chicken pox all over my stomach because my itching was actually a delayed reaction to the steri-strips. It seriously looked like I'd been burned (and once the blisters healed, all my skin peeled off just like a burn, too).

I held off calling the surgeon when it started because I had day-10 appointment scheduled, but it got really terrible two days after the itching started and I really should have gone in to have the strips removed sooner. I still have the scars from the hives three weeks later.

If it continues to get worse, you may want to follow up with your surgeon's office sooner than later to see if the strips can be removed. I took crushed-up benadryl (50 mg 4x/day) and used the benadryl spray once I was told that the incisions were fine. I also soaked in a cool tub with aveeno once I was cleared for that. I itched for a good four or five days after the strips were removed.

I have a lot of allergies and have had hives many many times, but these were the worst I've ever had, in terms of severity and itching.

hi there! i got a small bumpy rash around 3 of my incisions 4 weeks after surgery! they are still there (week 5) and they itch like crazy. i went to the surgeon's office and they told me it's a minor reaction to the dermaglue and they told me to use Vitamin E cream or an anti-itch cream on the bumps - but don't get it on the incisions (not easy when i sit, and the skin above and below them rolls and thus spreads the cream all over the place).

anyway, mine has not gotten worse. but not better either -yet. i'm tempted to try benedryl tonight just to see if the rash goes away.

do you have any bumps? if no bumps maybe it just normal healing?

ps i still have soreness moving around near the port site and sometimes off to the other side - when i've just eaten - maybe too full? i don't know yet. this is a bunch of new experiences that's for sure!

yeah mine were itching too, horrible. Much better now stitches are out and the fresh air can get to the skin. I'm putting pure aloe vera gelly on the skin to help it heal and hopefully reduce the scarring.

Julia

On 7/11/2008 at 11:57 AM, Susie Girl 75 said:

Hi There!

I am new the site and have a question regarding my incisions! I am 8 days post op and they are itching like CRAZY ... I also still have a little bit of soarness when I get in and out of bed... Is that normal??

I need some advice on how make the itching stop and I was also wondering if anybody had any good ideas to reduce the scaring... Vitamin E???

HELP!!!! :lol:

Thanks Gang,

Susie Girl!

4 days post op and I feel great. Little soreness but I feel great. And the stitches are itching sooooooo much. I forgot to mention to my surgeon who called to see how I was doing.
they say take Benadryl on websites, I put a cold water bottle today because I couldn’t take it anymore snd it worked perfect !

cold packs for itchyssssss works great !!!!!

your a trip!

It’s most likely a reaction to the adhesive they use for the steri strips. I had this as well and tried everything possible to help including antihistamines and topical benedryl. The best thing I found was using a kaolin clay mask for 10 mins and rinse off. It helps draw out the oils that caused the allergy and soothe the skin. Calamine lotion would help as well. Make sure all the strips are moved as well since they are just trapping the allergens.

I have like a film over the incision is that what it is ? i am going crazy with the itching too. I put cold packs. i can text my surgeon in the am and ask if i can remove the clear film. i tried benadryl and it puts me to sleep. i cannot take it all day long