Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Almost 5 years since surgery

Hello! I'm back from a long vacation from LBT. How are my old friends? Anyone still hanging around here?

I am coming up to my 5 year anniversary on October 25th...and maybe I'm getting sentimental but I've been really thinking about the journey I've been on lately. I'm also back on the losing wagon because my goal was to loose 100 pounds and I've been stuck at 80 pounds for a couple of years so I've kicked myself in the butt and gotten busy.

I won't write a long rambling post, but just in case any of you out there are struggling or wondering if it's all worth it- let me tell you- IT IS!!!!

My life is amazingly different and wonderful. After surgery, I got myself into therapy and because I could no longer eat my feelings away- I've learned new ways of dealing with things. I got a new job, new hair, new clothes, new, awesome boyfriend, and a new life. I eat...I eat well. But I don't necessarily eat a lot. But the band is not something I think about all the time- it's just a part of me now. It reminds me it's there sometimes when I do something stupid but otherwise, it's really not a big deal.

I have been struggling lately because I really want to get to my goal of 100 pounds lost by my 5th anniversary. I've only got about 23 pounds to go. I decided I needed some help so I joined weight watchers. Now, I know most of you are going to say- "But I thought I'd never have to diet again if I got the band!!". For some, that's true- for me, not so much. I need some help to get back on track with portion sizes and making good food choices. I do not look at it as a diet but just a check in. Plus, it helps to have someone to be accountable to other than myself. That's all. Again, no big deal.

Enough about me- I'm curious to see how all my old friends are doing.

And if anyone has any questions an old bandster like me can help with, let me know!

Megan :(

WHOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I love posts like yours!

Congrats on MAINTAINING 80 lbs lost! I know you will make your goal.

How much did you weigh when you started? I enjoyed reading your story.

Thanks for posting. It's great to hear about others who have maintained their weightloss and are still happy with the band. Congratulations on your success and good luck getting those final pounds off.

Hi Megan! Congrats on the weight loss, I waz banded 14months ago, have been tetering between 179.5 and 180.5 for acouple weeks now. It is a slow process but I am getting used to it, the great thing is that so far I have only lost not gained*a first*! I am stugling with this last 30lbs it just won't go lol. I have started working out ( i know i know about time)! I ride my bike and walk, my dog is my excuse to get me motivated he needs the walks and runs so it gets me motivated! got to go now will cheeck back!

Megan, Weight Watchers is an excellent plan. I am thinking of rejoining to lose the last 20 or so. Congrats on your maintenance and future loss.

Megan, Thank you for posting your message. It was so encouraging to me. I have just begun the journey and so look forward to a new, more energetic me! Have a great day :(

Hello! I'm back from a long vacation from LBT. How are my old friends? Anyone still hanging around here?

I am coming up to my 5 year anniversary on October 25th...and maybe I'm getting sentimental but I've been really thinking about the journey I've been on lately. I'm also back on the losing wagon because my goal was to loose 100 pounds and I've been stuck at 80 pounds for a couple of years so I've kicked myself in the butt and gotten busy.

I won't write a long rambling post, but just in case any of you out there are struggling or wondering if it's all worth it- let me tell you- IT IS!!!!

My life is amazingly different and wonderful. After surgery, I got myself into therapy and because I could no longer eat my feelings away- I've learned new ways of dealing with things. I got a new job, new hair, new clothes, new, awesome boyfriend, and a new life. I eat...I eat well. But I don't necessarily eat a lot. But the band is not something I think about all the time- it's just a part of me now. It reminds me it's there sometimes when I do something stupid but otherwise, it's really not a big deal.

I have been struggling lately because I really want to get to my goal of 100 pounds lost by my 5th anniversary. I've only got about 23 pounds to go. I decided I needed some help so I joined weight watchers. Now, I know most of you are going to say- "But I thought I'd never have to diet again if I got the band!!". For some, that's true- for me, not so much. I need some help to get back on track with portion sizes and making good food choices. I do not look at it as a diet but just a check in. Plus, it helps to have someone to be accountable to other than myself. That's all. Again, no big deal.

Enough about me- I'm curious to see how all my old friends are doing.

And if anyone has any questions an old bandster like me can help with, let me know!

Megan :smile:

Hello Megan, my name is Della and I enjoyed your post! It is so great to hear success from a long time bandster. Congrats on your wonderful new life and success!! :scared2: I do have a question....how much does your band hold and how full is it? And shouldn't a fill be the answer instead of ww? That just kinda scares me to need other diet plans I have been on for some much of my life. I really thought that the fills were the answer along with healthy and sensible eating.

Hi Della...here's my experience...it doesn't matter how much fill I have- everyone is different. I am as tight as I can be without having nightly reflux so I am not able to tighten my band anymore. I haven't had an adjustment in two years. But you know what- a tight band can be eaten around, too. I've learned some tricks over the past few years that I need to unlearn- no little Fluid in my band will help that. You hit the name on the head with the "healthy and sensible eating". That's the part that WW is helping with again. I don't see it as a long term thing- just long enough to reach my goal and remind me how good I feel when I eat well...that's all. It's nothing to be scared of. This is a lifelong journey not a sprint!

Hello Megan, my name is Della and I enjoyed your post! It is so great to hear success from a long time bandster. Congrats on your wonderful new life and success!! :smile: I do have a question....how much does your band hold and how full is it? And shouldn't a fill be the answer instead of ww? That just kinda scares me to need other diet plans I have been on for some much of my life. I really thought that the fills were the answer along with healthy and sensible eating.

Hi Della...here's my experience...it doesn't matter how much fill I have- everyone is different. I am as tight as I can be without having nightly reflux so I am not able to tighten my band anymore. I haven't had an adjustment in two years. But you know what- a tight band can be eaten around, too. I've learned some tricks over the past few years that I need to unlearn- no little Fluid in my band will help that. You hit the name on the head with the "healthy and sensible eating". That's the part that WW is helping with again. I don't see it as a long term thing- just long enough to reach my goal and remind me how good I feel when I eat well...that's all. It's nothing to be scared of. This is a lifelong journey not a sprint!

Thanks for the info! I guess I see what you mean about WW helping you get back on track because it really does force you to make better food choices to keep within your points. The band just makes you feel full so you don't feel like you are still hungry as I always do with any diet even WW. It does work but I find I end up sabbotaging myself in the end because of the hunger. Which I am sure is partlyhead hunger. Thanks for breaking it down for me! Do you have any before and after pics that you can share? And again....congrats on your success for losing and keeping it off!!! That is soooo awesome and VERY reasuring to us pre-bandsters and newly banded. And I do realize this isn't going to be easy nor a "sprint" but I do know it is gonna get me to a place I cannot get to on my own.

Congrats on your weight loss and wish you the best of luck in hitting the goal weight. If you've maintained then you will do great I am sure :thumbs_down:

welcome back and good luck with the rest of your goal!

not sure if ww still does journaling, but i just joined thedailyplate.com and it is really helping me to track what i eat and learn the calories in everything!

Congratualions.

I will be banded next month, and it's encouraging to know that there is long term success!

What would you say is on of the hardest thing about being banded?