Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Flying with the band

I am supposed to go down to Florida to see my family in the next couple of months. I have heard some stories about problems with the band when flying. Met someone in the Dr's office who was telling me about her band collapsing when she flew.

Please share your experiences .............. they will be greatly appreciated!!

:wink2:

I would too be very intrested in hearing how the expirience is.. Im actually going to be flying on aug 14, to go on vacation to Las Vegas!!!. Ive been banded almost 16mths but have never expirienced flying with the band?!?!:wink2:

I flew 3 days out of surgery with no problems. I was still sore from surgery but my band did not bug me at all. But, as with any time you have a concern, you should contact your doctor.

HI there, I have been banded since April 2006 and work as an international flight attendant. In my experience my band tightens during the flight, especially as they are 13+ hour duties, and can take a few hours after landing to right itself.......I have Protein Shakes and Soup on board to keep up my energy. I have regurgitated a lot of food over the years while flying so just stick to liquids and hummous, hope this helps and have a great flight!

XX:teeth_smile:

please do a search on this - it seems that every week there is a thread about it and I end up posting a long post.

short story - it is hit or miss. I fly several times a week on average, and some flights it is no problem, some I can't eat solid food for a few days.

When you fly does customs pick you up as it does with people with hip replacements?

I've flown twice since being banded and x-ray is not a problem. Since the band is not metal, it won't set off any alarms (I even have a stent and a plate in my elbow and they don't set off any alarms). Both of my flights have been to Florida and I've had no problems at all or even any sense that the band was affected.

Thanks for all the input............it helped with the anxiety of flying.

I asked my Dr and he told me to have a drink and relax and it will be fine !

Bon Voyage!!!!

I've flown twice since being banded and x-ray is not a problem. Since the band is not metal, it won't set off any alarms (I even have a stent and a plate in my elbow and they don't set off any alarms). Both of my flights have been to Florida and I've had no problems at all or even any sense that the band was affected.

Thank you for the reply Sandy glad I wont need to explain alarms going off.

I fly a lot. Just flew to Europe and the longes segment was 11 hours.

When I fly for short segments (4 hours or less) I usually don't have any issues. However, on long segments I will notice some swelling and am tighter than usual.

I have never had any "collapsing" or even heard of that before.