Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

scared about the long term consequences and other side effects from the lap band

:biggrin::embaressed_smile::embaressed_smile:I would really like to have some feedback on long term consequences of the band. I am scheduled to be banded on 8/26/08 and commited to making alot of life-style changes, etc...I read about those individuals who had to have the band removed because of erosion, slippage and other issues. How does everyone feel about this? Further, I am concerned about the long term consequences of the band, like can you have permanent scarring and other problems in your stomach. I spoke to my surgeon yesterday, and although she is great, we did not really get into any long term problem/ discussion with it. I started thsi process at the end of May and was pretty clear then and still feel clear about doing this, just wondering what the rest of the lap band community feels. Thanks!

I made a Last Will and Testament...I was that scared.

My recommendation is for everyone to realize the risks AND have a plan B, C, D.

My plan B was if there was a complication...slip or something...where the band had to come out.

My plan B was to have the band removed, not corrected. I was self pay and I couldn't afford long term care for the appliance. This was a one time shot/chance at the band.

Luckily, all worked out.

1 year later I'm 100 pounds lighter and from size 22 to a size 6.

Hi

I too worried about the long term consequences. I work in a nursing home and we struggle daily with the elders losing weight and not eating. I wondered what would happen to me if I ended up in that situation.

But then I thought, geez, I'm young (53 yrs old), and creating so much risk of health problems more serious than eating, that I decided to go ahead with it.

I'm 11 months out, have struggled but doing ok. I've had no problems requiring invasive anything. I do have the sliming, and throwing up at times, but so far, so good.

I am walking better, am off my diabetic meds, almost off my blood pressure meds, am more active, more likely to go out and participate in a physical activity. My clothes fit better.

For me, the benefit was much greater than the risk. That is a personal decision for all of us. When I'm older, and need to put on the weight, I want everything chocolate! :wink2:

Good luck to you!

Sue Stenzel

I was worried too and had my Living Will and Power of Attorney forms completed and given to my mom. I made sure I was on the organ donor list. I made sure I had family and friends agreeable to take care of all my pets... even my mean cat.

Worrying is part of this entire process. By the time of your surgery you'll probably find 100 reasons why you think you should cancel but something about the band led you to all the reading and research I'm sure you've done.

Yes, there are stories of erosion and slipped bands. It happens. But if you look at the statistics you'll find that most people live happier, healthier and thinner lives!

I think benefits outweight the risks...

Im down 97.8 lbs and am beyond thrilled:biggrin:

I gave this reasonable thought, and since I have had a band, even more. I knew that slippage and erosion were a possibility, now I've given thought to whether there might be long term esophageal consequences, I do wonder what always having food in the top part of your stomach could do. Then there's overtightness and reflux etc.

But I figured that what I knew FOR SURE were the long term consequences of obesity. There was not a lot of wondering about that. Early death, probably of heart disease, maybe cancer. Those things could strike anyway, yes, but I feel like I'm living a life now that will do as much as possible to ensure a healthy and enjoyable old age.

My commitment was to do this as moderately as possible. I've never been, nor wanted to be so tight that I'm relying on liquids in the morning, living on Protein shakes, decreasing the variety in my diet. I eat bread and wholegrains because I'd really like not to have bowel cancer one day (family history), I eat plenty of fruit and veg, I get my dairy, etc. I made up the difference with strenuous exercise. Because I'm not overly tight, I rarely PB or even get stuck/slime, so really, I do think I'm doing everythign I reasonably can to ensure the health of my band and my stomach.

But it was a gamble, and who knows what the future might hold. As it is, I've changed my lifestyle enough (particularly exercise wise) that whilst I'm sure I would gain weight without a band, I truly doubt I'd get as fat as I was.

I agree that the long term consequences of being morbidly obese far outweigh (no pun intended!) those of being banded. And being banded has actually removed one of my health problems the very first minute after being banded--the surgery made my horrible GERD go away! That was a pleasant side effect!

Thanks to all of you who responded to my fears which are rationale and irrational. I am going forward and planning to do the lap-band after all because bottom line I must say, I know that I have really tried on my own and it just has not worked. We all know that if we could have done it on our own we would have. There is always that hope, but it just is not the case anymore.

I regret that I have spent so many years of my life muddled in the prison of obesity. There have been brief respites on the losing of 60 or 70 pounds for a time, going down to a "normal" weight and then just to have the crushing disappointment and mind-blowing self-esteem suppresent of gaining it all back and then some

I am done with that. I am glad the community is here to share with. Thanks to all of u ffor being their.:thumbs_down: