Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How to Avoid Loose Skin After Surgery

Hey folks.

There has been some talk of body stockings in addition to exercise as a way to avoid much of the loose skin flaps hanging down after losing weight.

Does anyone have knowledge of these?

Thanks

ww

Ive read that lack of Protein will contribute to excess loose skin..so Im trying to get all the protein plus some..but that is hard..Im just gonna get mine cut if it ends up to bad...

I think it boils down to age and genes. I know I will have loose skin. I lost over 80 lbs on nutrisystem. Once you are past menopause, the skin just isnt as elastic and the more past it you are the worst in the majority of cases, there are always exceptions. I went thru menopause about age 40 and Im turning 58 next month and I know I would have to have complete body surgery to feel good about how I look. My stomach sagged, my under arms sagged and the skin near my neck got wrinkly when I lost, so I look ridiculous in a sleeveless dress or tee shirt. The skin on my upper legs also showed the cellulite and hung loose. Pretty awful. And I only lost a little over 80 lbs and then I gained it all back, so I know it wouldnt be better since I stretched out my skin again.

Age is a big determining factor, lets be honest. If you are 20 or 30 you probably woudlnt have saggy skin, odds are.

I too am a little worried about this. I lost 100lbs about 5 years ago on adkins, had another baby and gained it all back. I didn't have any loose skin then, but I was only 26 too. Now I'm 32 and the same 100+ have to come off. I think I am going to aim for around 150lbs end weight. That way I'll still be a little full figured, and probably not have that much loose skin, because it will still be filled out a little.

I'm VERY worried about this. My sister lost 100+ lbs and has sooo much saggy skin. She's trying to get her dr to day it inhibits her movement (which it does) so insurance will pay for the plastic surgery needed to remove it. We talked to her DR and a couple others and they say the large amount was that she lost a LOT of muscle w/ it as well.

I have been told to eat LARGE amounts of Protein and make sure I train with weights to gain muscle while loosing weight at the same time. That will help me have the "least amount" of saggy skin. Dr's tell me it's pretty much a GIVEN that I will need surgery to remove some though. UGH!!!!

My mom had a Tummy Tuck years ago and it was painful. But she said she would do it again in a heart beat. I see a big difference in the way shirts fit her, and agree that I WILL get it done when the time comes!

No doubt about it, losing weight without exercise (and therefore losing your muscle) will worsen loose skin. I have been pretty pleased with how lightly I got out of this but I will say I only average 40 to 50 grams of Protein a day and I dont have loose skin. They dont tell you to do Protein first or to get any particular amount of protein in Australia - so that would tend to suggest to me that EXERCISE is the most important factor. I get most of my exercise with running, I just do some basic bodyweight stuff like pushups and tricep dips for toning, as I really dislike working with weights. Its been enough, I have plenty of visible muscle tone! And running has well and truly taken care of my lower body, my legs are like steel and my stomach is flat.

But I still do have *some* loose skin, my boobs are wrecked and I have a really saggy bum. I think the only way to prevent loose skin after weight loss is to not lose any weight. Other than that its down to luck and genetics.

If you don't want to have loose skin you should be young and not have too much weight to lose (LOL)

Oh well, there went my chances! :)

I know someone that lost all his weight but still will not wear shorts because his legs are saggy and his belly is saggy as well as his arms.

It isn't fair that the insurance companies don't pay to have it ALL removed. It's not vanity it's mental health!

We are trying to get healthy and having that extra skin isn't healthy for the body to have to drag around and it certainly isn't good for mental well being! I have been told that your mind can make the body sick so if our minds are not healthy then our bodies will still not be completely healthy!

Need new laws for a healthier country! Eating healthy is expensive and losing weight and not having the complete results is not healthy! Wish we could all get together and make the people in power really change things for the people that are giving it their all to be healthy and a productive part of society!

Just my opinion!

weight/resistance training can defnitely help

I had to attend a few support group sessions as part of my insurance approval, and several of the post-op folks said that if they knew then what they know now...they would have lifted weights as soon as they were cleared to do so

For those of you out there who still haven't found a definitive answer to the saggy/loose skin dilemma, I have read tons of articles and spoken to trainers, plastic surgeons, and my doctor about it. All of them have told me that if you keep your Protein intake at 1oz per meal and tone up while losing weight, you'll decrease your chances of getting loose skin. It may not help to keep it away completely, but you may be one of the lucky few to not have a lot of it. Get a good personal trainer who knows what their doing (if you're going to the gym and working out) and make sure you let them know that you need resistance training, Pilates, and some weight training as well as a mix of cardio workouts. If you're working out at home, mix it up. Aerobics, ab workouts, tricep dips, and bicep curls will help to eliminate most (if not all) of that saggy skin. For the skin that may sag around your thighs, Pilates and resistance training helps!

I wish all of you tight skin! LOL :lol:

I read in my insurance benefit information that if it is causing a rash, pain, etc. etc that it could be covered. I don't remember the exact terminology but it could be worth looking into.