Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New In Knoxville

Hello Everyone,

Anyone in Knoxville TN? I am going to my first meeting this Tuesday July 8th @ Parkwest Hospital.

I dont even know if my insurance will pay. I bet that is everyone's first concern, insurance, then when they find out they will, that's when they panic and really get scared. I know that's how I will be, big chicken that I am.

To be honest, I am known for my cooking, and the thought of giving that up and all the good food , well, that scares me too! I love trying out new recipes, I collect recipe books, even have a job cooking for a lady one day a week.My life revolves around food. Giving up my hobby, my job, my life... but I know its to save my life.. It's just scary. And all that scares me that I may not have the right mindset and then I end up in a vicious circle in my mind asking myself if I am really ready.

Someone help me, did anyone else fight this battle? Am I doing the right thing now or do I need to wait till I can say none of this matters anymore?

I mean I can live without it but its just scares me to think I can't do it anymore. It's giving up a love, a old friend, something that brings me comfort when nothing or no one else can.

Maybe they will have answers Tuesday night, Maybe I will figure it out then.

Anyone else going? Look for me, I will be the 245 pounder there! LOL

I hope to learn a lot in this group, I am so glad I found it!

Wish me luck!

I'm from Rogersville (about an hour east of you). I don't think there are many people on here from our end of the state, at least not that I have noticed. I am also just starting my journey, but I haven't been to any meetings, groups, or seminars. I have done all of my research online and am getting all of my support on here as well (with the exception of my family who are also supportive.) I think a meeting might be nice, but I'm sure I'd have to drive to K'ville or Johnson City to go to one, so I probably won't.

As for your love of food and not knowing about giving that up, I am having some of the same thoughts. I read that you can't have Pasta post-op, and when we ate at the Olive Garden this week, I thought to myself, "Can I really go without this for the rest of my life?" I think that is a natural part of the process. We would be unrealistic if we thought we could do this without mourning some of the things we love from what will be our "former" lives. I think we will be able to have most things "in moderation" with is certainly going to be a new concept to me. I too love food, so moderation is really going to be a new word to my vocabulary, but I'm sure it will be worth it.

I have a co-worker who had RnY, and she says, "Nothing tastes as good as this (being thin) feels." I certainly hope I can have that attitude.

Good luck in all your efforts. I'd love to hear how your meeting goes tonight.

Take Care!

To be honest, I am known for my cooking, and the thought of giving that up and all the good food , well, that scares me too! I love trying out new recipes, I collect recipe books, even have a job cooking for a lady one day a week.My life revolves around food. Giving up my hobby, my job, my life... but I know its to save my life.. It's just scary. And all that scares me that I may not have the right mindset and then I end up in a vicious circle in my mind asking myself if I am really ready.

Someone help me, did anyone else fight this battle? Am I doing the right thing now or do I need to wait till I can say none of this matters anymore?

I mean I can live without it but its just scares me to think I can't do it anymore. It's giving up a love, a old friend, something that brings me comfort when nothing or no one else can.

Hi! I'm from NJ, but I did live in Knoxville for a few years! I am newly banded (5 weeks ago) and have lost about 27 lbs. I tell you this because I think you are being hard on yourself. I don't believe that you have to give up the hobby that gives you pleasure. I also don't think its realistic that you will "ban" things forever. With the band, you can still have a taste of things here and there, it just won't rule your life. You will always need to make good choices, but maybe you can look at cooking as an adventure on how to make things a little healthier. Last week I celebrated my birthday and guess what? I had a little cake. Wasn't the end of the world and I didn't gain because I kept my daily limit of 1200 calories in mind. You can do this!

I'm from Rogersville (about an hour east of you).

As for your love of food and not knowing about giving that up, I am having some of the same thoughts. I read that you can't have Pasta post-op, and when we ate at the Olive Garden this week, I thought to myself, "Can I really go without this for the rest of my life?" I think that is a natural part of the process. We would be unrealistic if we thought we could do this without mourning some of the things we love from what will be our "former" lives. I think we will be able to have most things "in moderation" with is certainly going to be a new concept to me. I too love food, so moderation is really going to be a new word to my vocabulary, but I'm sure it will be worth it.

That's it! Moderation! :embaressed_smile:

I wanted to pop in and say Hi from Sweetwater, (about halfway between Knoxville and Chattanooga) I used a surgeon at Chattanooga only because at that time (banded in 2003) it was the only one covered by my health insurance.

Hope you gathered lots of useful information at your wt loss seminar and do feel free to contact me anytime and I will be happy to try to answer any questions you might have.

Hopefully you will be in BANDLAND soon! Good luck.

lapbandfan

My blog with wtloss pics is at: Brenda’s Blog Look for lapband page at the top of the screen.

Anyone in Knoxville TN? I am going to my first meeting this Tuesday July 8th @ Parkwest Hospital.

Hey ftcitylady,

I hope that you were encouraged by your seminar at Parkwest. I've just scheduled my lap band with Dr. Boyce at Parkwest on August 26th. I attended my seminar on May 13, had my consultation 2 days later, then went through the psych evaluation and diet counseling.

It took almost 2 months for me to get all of the correct medical records from my PCP. Then, my insurance company (UHC) used the wrong criteria to evaluate my approval and denied coverage. I was able to figure out where they screwed up and got an approval about 2 weeks later. I was lucky to schedule my procedure just 2 weeks out, because of a cancellation, otherwise I would have had to wait until October!!

I've been to a couple of the support group meetings in Knoxville, and it was really helpful to talk with people who have had the surgery, and those in the preliminary stages. No Doctor or Nurse can give you the range of personal experiences with the lap band like someone who is living with it.

Hope to see you at one of the meetings.

Bryan