Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Port and Chest Pain (2 days post)

Hello, I just got out of the Hospital today. I am experiencing ALOT of pain. I really have chest and Port pain. I was so nautious in the hospital, I threw up so much.

I know I am being paraniod but, I feel like a moved my port pueking. Becuase this pain is unreal. I brought this up to my doc and his reply was "I was going to be in alot of pain near the port"

Also, last night I freaked out when the chest pains started. They took an EKG and Blood. No Heart Attack Thank God, but, It just scared me.

The Port Pain is my main concern right now, especially, now that I am off the Morphine and really are feeling everything to the point of tears.

Did I do the right thing? This question keeps repeating in my head. I know this is what I wanted but, I think that I am panicing too much. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Very Very Scared. Please Help!

The chest pain you are experiencing is most likely the gas they use to blow you up during surgery. The gas pain will come and go. There are usually certain signs and symptoms of an actual heart attack. They include sweating, tightening of the chest, arm pain and I can't think of any others. Usually though at this point it is just gas. I am two weeks post op, and still feel the gas occasionally. It should get better eveyday. I can't help you on the port pain, because I have had no trouble with mine, I had to ask where it was (I was lucky in that area). I think if your port pain gets too bad I would go back to the doctor. Did they do an endoscopy barium test prior to you leaving the hospital? If they did, than they should have been able to see if you damaged anything from all the vomiting. I do pray that you begin feeling better. Keep us posted!

Hi Jennifer,

First, congratulations on your banding!!

My guess is that you're not an experienced surgical patient? :) From your description it sounds like you're having the same sorts of feelings that many of us had--sharp pains in the chest area, port pain around the large incision, nausea and so on. They can be very alarming indeed, but some discomfort is obviously to be expected.

Each day you will feel better, and by the time all the anaesthetic leaves your system your nausea will be gone. Then you'll wake up one morning and your port pain will be gone too. Just take it easy and don't feel guilty about RESTING!!! Several days in an easy chair and you'll be good as new. :D

Please let us know how you're doing. Welcome to Bandlandia!

No Alexandria, I am not an experienced surgical patient. There is no Nausia anymore, My fear was that I moved the port.

I had ADEMIA in the hospital. (Swelling around the band)

I also have alot of Diareah since yesterday. Has anyone had that? I called the Doc This morning and he told me that was NOT normal. He wants me to start on Antibiotics just incase there is an infection in my lower intestons. Anyone here heard of this?

I had diarrhea too, for a couple of days post surgery. A liquid diet can do that to you. :)

In fact, until the anaesthesia completely wore off I didn't even have a bowel movement -- that's like three days or so. And until I started on mushy foods there just wasn't a lot solid to make a BM with. Sorry for the grotesque detail, but suffice to say that lots of people have experienced post-surgical runs.

Also: a liquid diet can result in a whitening of the tongue. I don't know why, but lots of people experience it and it's nothing to be alarmed about. It's not necessarily a yeast infection, but that's the first thing that comes to mind so it's easy to get alarmed.

Powerwing,

Try (if you can) to walk around--that will help get the gas out of your system faster.

I have my surgery tomorrow & I am going tot ry & get up as fast as I can to start walking.

Hope you feel better!

Linda

Sorry Jennifer, in my first post I asked if you had the endoscopy barium test. DUH! I meant flouroscopy barium test. Just fixing my mistake. I guess you can tell I'm not a nurse. I did have diarrhea after surgery. I just figured it was from only drinking liquids. Hope you are feeling better.

Jennifer, I do not want to sound gross either, but you would not even believe the embaresment i had due to my diarreha. It went away in a few days. Hang in there.

the diarreha can also be a sign of dehydration. i would get a sports drink to sip on... just in case!!!!

i really feel for you i felt like my surgery was pretty rough to. it brought me to tears also... looking back though it is an easy pain to forget about. if that makes sense!!

my advice... popsicles, pain meds, gas x, and the remote control!

Originally posted by Alexandra

a liquid diet can result in a whitening of the tongue.

I don't know how true this is, but I once looked into various fasts that people do for short periods to detoxify their bodies, and those people were thrilled when their tongues turned white as it supposedly indicated that toxins were leaving the body. The theory is that once the liver gets a break from its daily duties with digestion, it can turn its attention to cleaning up the body. Who knows... but if my tongue turns white, that is the theory I am running with. :)

Linda - I noticed your surgery was today. I hope everything went great and that you are now in the comfort of your home!

Bob

The theory is that once the liver gets a break from its daily duties with digestion, it can turn its attention to cleaning up the body. Who knows... but if my tongue turns white, that is the theory I am running with.

That's fascinating! My experience was just that I noticed my tongue was whitish, but I didn't think much of it. I figured it had something to do with the fact that I wasn't eating anything. Then someone on Smartbandsters said it was happening to him and asked whether anyone knew what was up. Lots of people chimed in that it happened to them too! There were several comments about yeast infections, but I think that's just because no one had ever compared notes on the subject before. It's way too common to be a yeast infection!

Let's hear it for the elimination of toxins!! :)

:D <==imagine a white tongue

A white coating on the tongue could be from many things....

First things first! you should brush your tongue every day two times a day!!! Your tongue accumulates plaque on the surface, just as your teeth do. You can use your toothbrush or a tongue scraper... either will do the job. If you gag, then try breathing out when you brush...it really works!

So my first guess would be plaque... you have changed your eating habits ...and food choices.. no longer are the hard/dry foods... more softer... food is a natural "de-plaquer" to a certain extent... Also ... brush your tongue in the morning.. then in the afternoon look at it... then drink milk and look at it..you will have a coating of "whitish" stuff on it.... milk!

a fungal infection was mentioned.. yes it could be one... in our mouths we have fungi, bacteria (good and bad) who live in a semi-harmonious relationship..the good bacteria along withour immune system keep the fungi and "bad bacteria" in check... but sometimes this balance can get out of whack and a fungal infection can start up. If I see a fungal infection in one of my patients, I am more worried about their general health than I am the fungal infection because it's telling my their immune system is compromised for some reason..and I need to find out why (but if they have been using Chlorohexidine... fungal infections will occur because the micro-organism balance has been disrupted)

The tongue is a muscle... nothing more..nothing less... it is not the outlet for the toxins the liver has eliminated.

Any questions..please feel free to ask...

and to add to my signature.. Dentist...so you know that I have studied this stuff :)

Originally posted by karen

The tongue is a muscle... nothing more..nothing less... it is not the outlet for the toxins the liver has eliminated.

Hi Karen,

There are many, many people in this world that follow Chinese medicine, and one of the first things any CM practioner will do will evaluate your tongue for insight on your health. They certainly consider the tongue to be reflective of overall health. For thousands of years, CM used accupuncture while Western doctors quietly snickered, and now any of our doctors that follow the peer-reviewed journals often recommend it without knowing why it works. I find it interesting, even though I never really sought out a CM practioner to explore further.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&q=chinese+medicine+tongue

Yes ...there is a huge difference between Eastern Medicine and Western Medicine.. I fall in the middle I believe. I practice some "eastern philosophies" for myself (my own health). What western medicine has the idea that if we can not prove it consistantly and know why it happens... it's not "real"..... Now that younger more "open" thinkers are entering into medicine, we are seeing more "non-traditional" practices being employed. With all that said.... for some reason I fall into the "west side" of the fence when it comes to the tongue.... I dunno why?!! :-) I should start researching what you have said and see if it makes sense to me... again..that western training coming out in me....

Thanks for the insight!!!!!:rambo

advice from a nurse, if your tongue is white, eat some yogurt that has live cultures of lactobacillus acidophilus in it, most do, this is the happy bacteria that normally live in your body to fight yeast. your balance of yeast to happy bacteria is probably off, yogurt will restore some of it!