Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bad bander, but curious question!! ha ha

Ok so ive talked to many people some people follow directions to a T, but thats usually not my style! lol bad i know, but hey this is me and if im gonna do it, im gonna do it my way!! I still follow main rules dont worry!! But im on the pureed diet now!! Just wondering how many followed this really closely? I started eating solids before i was done with my liquid stage, taking it slow and chewing well!! I watch out for problem foods and eat slow, but i have not had any problems!! I get my first fill is July 25!! so excited!! i know i will be much more restricted then!! But just wanted to get some other's input!! Thanks so much!!

Ebeth, I'm one of those serial rules followers! I've done everything by the book. The reason for the liquid stage is to allow your body to heal. Solid foods are harder to digest, which can impact the healing. So, I would encourage you to get back on the liquids. After all, you've gone through a lot to get the band...you might as well take the best care of it possible. Good luck!

The rule for not eating solids is so that your stomach won't churn to digest the food. It has nothing to do with ease of "getting it down".

You want your band to seat well and for your stomach to remain quiet while the healing is going on.

There are reasons for the rules. Make sure you understand why they exist before you break them. :lol:)

I followed the rules to a T. It's for a very short period of your life.

I agree, The rules are there for a reason . ESPECIALLY POST OP .

You just had major surgery and your going to take it upon your self to decide its ok to go against medical advice of someone who spent 12 yrs in medical school ? That confuses the hell out of me im sorry . Im a rule follower as well. Why ? Because someone who know's better than ME Made those rules for a reason .

Not following the rules w/ the band even if its "Not your style" is not only not a joking matter but will cause you to lose your band at some point.

I dont understand why or how people can say " OH I did it and Im fine , I caused no harm " HOW Do you KNOW That ? Harm could come a month a yr down the rd from something that was done today .

Not following the rules can cause your band to errode, slip and cause you to lose it !!

Sorry to seem rude but I just do not get this train of thought ? Maybe that's just me . I feel it does no one any good to say " you should be fine" Because I Dont if you could not follow the rules or were not ready then maybe it was not time to have the surgery ?

Just my thoughts

Mindy

The rule for not eating solids is so that your stomach won't churn to digest the food. It has nothing to do with ease of "getting it down".

You want your band to seat well and for your stomach to remain quiet while the healing is going on.

There are reasons for the rules. Make sure you understand why they exist before you break them. :o)

I followed the rules to a T. It's for a very short period of your life.

Actually I look at the rules as to be followed for the rest of my life.

Not drinking carbonation , not drinking while or after you eat. those are all things that can seriously affect your band .

But that's just me

Mindy

Yea i asked for input not a good bitching!! You are no one to tell me i wasnt ready thank you!! but whatever!! I do follow the no carbonation rules, and drinking rules!!! All im having a heard time is on the pureed!! I need to hear advice, not to be put down!! But thanks for making my day that much better!!:o Whatever!!!!! Ill be fine!! Thanks anyways tho!!

Yea i asked for input not a good bitching!! You are no one to tell me i wasnt ready thank you!! but whatever!! I do follow the no carbonation rules, and drinking rules!!! All im having a heard time is on the pureed!! I need to hear advice, not to be put down!! But thanks for making my day that much better!!:o Whatever!!!!! Ill be fine!! Thanks anyways tho!!

Did not mean to offend you . However I am not one to tell people what they want to hear either. What I said and meant was If the rules were something that you were not ready to follow maybe it was not the right time for the surgery ? we all have to get to the point that we are ready for this in order for it to work . If you feel your at that point great.

I Will NOT tell anyone " You will be ok for breaking the rules " Espically " Weeks post op . I honestly am not sure what your asking ? Not being rude , are you needing recipes for the pureed diet ?

I can help w/ that .

Mindy

Mindy didn't say anything wrong, she was not "bitching". She was telling you the truth and truth can be a hard pill to swallow.

Yes, she is one to tell you that you aren't ready for solids. She knows what she is talking about and she also explained it to you in detail. You are the one that is not following your MDs advice, she does know what she's talking about.

Instead of focusing on the fact that she called you on your behaviors, why not just do as your doc says?

Great way to ruin your band.

Everyone gave awesome answers, listen to them.

I wouldn't be surprised if you are in the hospital with band problems in the future.

Go back on liquids, let your stomach rest! :o

Hey Ebeth

I was banded on May 5th and my diet from my doctor for the first week after surgery was pureed/mushy food. Then On May 12th went back to the doctor and they told me to eat regular foods with the no carbanation/no fluids after meals etc.... But that was it, it was important for me to eat the regular food and get use to the rest of my life. I had my first fill yesterday did clears for 24 hours as instructed and then regular food tonite as I was told, I picked mushy but was ok. I think you will be fine with your diet every doctor is different. And this is a tool for the rest of your life and you have to learn how to use it. Good Luck on your way it looks like you have got a great start.

Shee,:o

Hey Ebeth

I was banded on May 5th and my diet from my doctor for the first week after surgery was pureed/mushy food. Then On May 12th went back to the doctor and they told me to eat regular foods with the no carbanation/no fluids after meals etc.... But that was it, it was important for me to eat the regular food and get use to the rest of my life. I had my first fill yesterday did clears for 24 hours as instructed and then regular food tonite as I was told, I picked mushy but was ok. I think you will be fine with your diet every doctor is different. And this is a tool for the rest of your life and you have to learn how to use it. Good Luck on your way it looks like you have got a great start.

Shee,:o

And we wonder why slips have more than doubled. Hmmmm...

Excuse me was I directing that towards you, no. Every doctor is different and I had a fill with flouro yesterday and everything is still in place. I was not wishing ill will on anybody. And not trying to be rude. Sorry if that offened you.

Shee

I follow rules that I see as vauable and reasonable rules. I followed the post op liquid/mushies/solids regime to a T because I wanted my band healed firmly in place. I didnt want to risk complications and it wasnt difficult for me anyway.

Now as to Protein first, not drinking with meals, half a cup and no more, I dont follow those rules. They were never mentioned to me as rules by my surgeon anyway because we seem to do it slightly differently in Australia, instead I follow our rules - eat sensibly from all five food groups and eat only till satisfied, not full.Its generally advised though not written in stone to stick to three meals a day too, something I do try to do because it works well for me.

So although I'm not non-compliant, if I were to move to the US and have to find myself a band doctor, would I follow all the Protein first, half cup, no drinking with meals rules? No, I wouldnt. I know my way works and is doable for me so I'd pretty much ignore the doc on that one.

But would I follow the post surgery rules from ANY doctor. You bet I would because its safer not to play around with those ones.

other rules I bend slightly sometimes. I have taken NSAID's on occasion because I've needed to. I would never take them on a regular or semi regular basis though.

It's not the answer you want, so you attack the other posters? Sorry folks, but no one should feel they need to apologize for offending anyone.

HEAL FIRST, the message is simple. Successful bandsters are giving advice because you, ahem, posted and asked for it.

If you are going to post about cheating, breaking rules, and generally doing things your "own way," you have to expect someone to say something contrary to what you want to hear. Hell, the first post even says, "bad, I know."

If you already know it's bad, you know you shouldn't be doing it... yes? What are you expecting by posting? If you don't plan on doing it they way the doctor (or successful bandsters) describe, then don't post looking for commiseration.

If you're having a hard time on the puree diet, call your surgeon's office and ask to speak with the PA, NP, or dietician. Often, they will allow you eat 2-3 additional foods to get your through the hard times. Because every surgeon is different, it's best to call and follow the advice they give you.