Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

July Butterflies Master Thread

I am so fustrated that I am looking into gastric bypass or the sleeve. Any suggestions? I am trying to get into see another doctor for a fill and they are 1 1/2 hours away. If they do it under flouro it is $350 with out it is $200. I am out close to $11,000 so I am going for the $200 since I have had the 20 fills and unfills with the flouro.

I am so fustrated that I am looking into gastric bypass or the sleeve. Any suggestions? I am trying to get into see another doctor for a fill and they are 1 1/2 hours away. If they do it under flouro it is $350 with out it is $200. I am out close to $11,000 so I am going for the $200 since I have had the 20 fills and unfills with the flouro.

I would skip on the Gastric Bypass.. my parents both had it and they get sick almost everyday and after their intial loss they are gaining weight back.. adjustable, although a pain in the bootie gives you more options,, if you get the GB and stretch out.. your options are gone.. I think they really wish they would have known about the band,, although I kind of doubt my dad could have been successful with the band.. he doesnt have the discipline.

I have a friend who had the band taken out and got the sleeve.. she seems to be doing fine. but she already lost all her weight with the band before she got the sleeve..

Joiful, If you decide to have revsion surgery to bypass or gastric sleeve you need to really investigate which is better for your lifestyle. With gb you will lose faster, but you may not be able to eat sweets. With gastric sleeve you need to stay on a weight loss plan so you won't stretch the pouch. They all have their pros and cons. Whatever you decide may I recommend a book by my doctor. It is "An Expert's Guide to Weight Loss Surgery"by Dr. Garth Davis.

Hi everyone, just thought I would check in with my anniversary coming up. I am sorry to say that I don't post much, but read when I can, and you are all very inspiring and helpful!

It's been a tough year for me, I am thrilled to be down 47, but it's been so hard. It took until April to find lasting restriction. And even with that I am finding that if I don't work out, I don't lose. That is a hard lesson to learn, but I am learning.

I am looking forward to my second year. I will keep exercising. I will keep trying to eat better. I wish I could stick with a food journal! It helps me so much, but after a week or so I slack off.

So that's my check in. I am happy to be where I am but disappointed in myself for not doing better. If anyone else is struggling, I would love to hear from you.

Now is when I remind myself that it's a 3 year goal. Isn't that what the bands say? A 3 year weigh loss journey?

Here is to a great 2nd year for all of us!:D

You are so right, mich. I did forget it is supposed to be a 3 year journey. That really does put things into perspective! Thanks! It makes us realize we are doing a great job so far.:D

Mich, I agree. It is a 3yr journey but I think all of us are wanting to rush it into one, It's hard not to and it sets us up for disapointment. But i'm glad you reminded us of that becuase when you look at it that way it really shows the progress we've made this first year. I'm really bad at the exercise I just can't seem to find anything I can really get into and enjoy. So I'm gonna buy a bike and try that. Hope it works out better then my treadmill that has turned into a $400 clothes rack and dog bed. And I really hope no one I know sees me as I'm sure it won't be one of my more graceful moments. I'm gonna go for the crusier becuase I'm built more for comfort then speed and really try to put more effort into it then I've done in the past.

Edited by kimaly

Joiful, Just wondering how much weight you've lost as you never seem to mention it and I remember you weren't all that big in the begining compared to alot of us. I know you've had some terrible struggles with your fills. I also wanted to remind you not to look at others numbers because it has to be based on % of your over all weight and not just in lbs lost.

Thanks for the kind words crzytchr and kimaly.

Joiful, my fills are never under fluro. I had surgery and all my fills at a top rated hospital. I did have one fill that went missing, she had a hard time finding the port and must have missed it. As long as it seems like they find the port easily, I would skip the fluro and save the money.

I do relate to your frustration. From July 08 to April 09 I lost a total of 10 lbs. That'a it, 10 miserable pounds. I also had 8 fill in that time. But I finally seem to have a good fill and have lost 20 lbs since April.

I spent a lot of time thinking about what I would do if it never worked. I figured I would give it the three years, if I could make even some small progress, I would keep trying. If for some reason I totally failed I would look at the Sleeve.

Kimaly, I bet you will look great on a bike! We have been doing a lot of that at my house this summer. My husband and I and our 2 kids all set out for a bike ride a couple times a week. It's fun! I found a weights DVD I like, it's only 30 min and even has an abs section. The exercise that I think makes the most difference is running. I can only run for about 60 seconds, I quick walk 5 min, run 60 sec, repeat 3 more times, then a 5 min walk at the end.

I thought I was going to do the Couch to 5K program. But after a month and a half I am still on week one. Eventually I will up to week 2.

Mich, good to hear from you and Happy Bandiversary! on the 30th. I had a cortisone shot in my back in April and I have battled the same 3lbs up and down since then. I did have an unfill in May. I go on the 30th and hope to get more restriction. You gave me hope when you said you lost 20lbs with the last fill. I set a three year goal for myself. Fifty last year, fifty this year, and fifty the 3rd year. I still believe I can do it.

As my bandiversary approaches this week, I am not happy by how little I've lost, but I resolve to keep trying.

My husband still hasn't gotten a job. I'm doing a lot of praying and too much eating. I don't remember signing up for this crap.

As my bandiversary approaches this week, I am not happy by how little I've lost, but I resolve to keep trying.

My husband still hasn't gotten a job. I'm doing a lot of praying and too much eating. I don't remember signing up for this crap.

Orea, I am so sorry you having to go through this crap. I would be eating too. Heck, I don't need stress to eat. If you can, try to get out and walk off the extra calories. That is what I have been doing. It also gives me a little energy. I will keep remembering you in prayer.

HUGS!

Arlene

Hi Orea.,

Hang in there we are all here for you. Stay strong and if you can at least walk some everyday that might help the stress to. I am sending prayers and love your way.

Orea I will be thinking about you and wish you the best. Any little stress makes me eat!

AT the beginning I weighed 208. I was not stopping. I was even closing my business to go get ice cream! I got down to 166 and now I weigh in the 180's. I haven't weighed I can tell just by looking at myself and my clothes don't fit any more.

The main reason I want my band to work it because of the mind game. My mind goes over and over and over and doesn't shut up until I eat the food. Donettes in the morning, cheap chocolate chip ice cream in the evening and some times one or the other during the day. I have high anxiety if I don't eat it. I don't know how to get past the anxiety so my brain will shut up. Does any one esle have the anxiety?

I called Garth Davis's office to see if they would take some one banded in Mexico and they wouldn't. I do have a new doctor I am going to drive 1 1/2 hours to but it will be worth it if my band finally works.

Thanks for posting info on the sleeve and the bypass. I am glad you did I am not going to pursue either one. I have a friend who had bypass 4 years ago and she is starting to gain. I think with the band you learn how to eat right and the others you just can't eat that much.