Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How come the weight isn't coming off?

I had my surgery on April 14th. I've lost 32 pounds to date, which is great. However, I haven't lost a single pound for about 6 weeks now. I had my first fill and felt nothing. My insurance won't cover any fills until 3 months out. I'm scheduled for my 2nd fill on July 16th. This is where it gets frustrating. I can't seem to tolerate anything other than cooked veggies, very cooked chicken breast, yogurt, cheese, cottage cheese and Soup. It gets stuck and hurts quite a bit if it's anything else. I do realize that there is some restriction in there, but since my calorie intake is practically nothing, why isn't the weight coming off? I do exercise (walking) 3-4 times a week, too. I know this isn't a miracle fix, but I just thought that I'd be losing a little more than what i have. Is there anyone else going through this? Like I said, 32 pounds is great in a little more than 2 months, but I'm so ready to lose more. I thought I would be able to eat more things, too.

7_5_142.gif Are you eating7_1_110v.gif enough calories? If your not then your body goes into saving mode. It thinks your starving, so it slows way down on matabalism.(sp) I think your weight loss is awsome! As far as foods go.. do you have trouble with other foods, like getting stuck or what? Maybe chew more. I have a problem of not chewing enough and I know it! I hope your problem improves and you can eat more foods. Good luck.

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb114&pp=ZRxdm609NVUS

I agree with the last post, you might not be eating enough and also not chewing thoroughly. Try tracking your calorie intake for a couple of days, fitday.com, thedailyplate.com, etc. You probably need at least 1000 calories a day and make sure you're getting your Protein.< /p>

I agree with the previous posts, but that being said, sometimes we plateau. Your body may be freaking out that it has lost 32 pounds in 2 months-that's alot! You may have periods where you don't lose for a month and then you start losing again. Another thing to try is to mix up your routine. Try a different exercise than walking. Try to have 1000 calories for 3 days and then 1400 one day. Repeat the cycle. (You can decide on your exact calorie counts, but mix them up to trick your body not to go into starvation mode). Be patient with yourself. You are doing great.

Wow, I am having the same problem. My surgery was 4/15. I've lost right around 35 lbs. I've completely stopped losing. I actually called doc to get my 3rd fill moved up b/c I'm eating soo much. I have NOOO restriction. I've never had any. Any weight I've lost, I"VE LOST, the band hasnt seemed to do much for me. But I'm tired of dieting, I'm getting burnt out and have slowly crept back into the old habits. Now I need to jump back on the bandwagon but am having difficulty doing so. My willpower is one of the reasons I got the band. I thought it would help tremendously. so far nothing. sad. discouraged. disappointed. Everyone keeps saying "wait til you get to your sweet spot" I hope its soon. I'm close to giving up. :wink_smile:

You guys are not alone. No wonder they call it bandster hell. I'm starting to get a little down and frustrated myself. My surgery was May 15th and I've had two fills. I have a little bit of restriction -- I can't eat a whole over-sized restaurant meal. But otherwise I have to rely on will power. The frustrating thing is that I've really been doing well, I plan my meals ahead of time and figure out my calories, Protein, etc. on The Daily Plate. I haven't had a snack or eaten between meals in months. And in the last 3-4 weeks I've lost around 3 pounds. I go for my third fill on Thursday. The thing is, though.... if I'm already "dieting" and the weight is coming off so slow, what good is restriction going to do me?

I'm going to keep adjusting my diet.... more calories, less calories, lower the carbs a bit more.... in the long run it can't be all bad, I'm certainly eating a whole heck of a lot healthier than I have in years and sooner or later the weight has to come off. Right?

I know that this, too, shall pass.... but yes it does get discouraging.

How many calories are you eating per day? It could be that you are too tight. If your food is always getting stuck, and you are chewing well, you might be too tight. But your weightloss so far is incredible.

I am by no means an expert, but I got stuck at 31 pounds lost. I just started logging my calories at thedailyplate.com and I discovered that I was only eating 600-700 calories, which, for me, is way too little. I was totally in starvation mode. I added in a Protein shake and an extra lowfat yogurt (I'm still on mushies) and I try to keep my calories at about 1000 - 1100. I lost a pound right away when I did that.

Now, I'm on vacation, so I don't have MY scale to tell me where I'm at, but my clothes are fitting bigger, so I think I've lost some more.

I'm also exercising a lot more, so I have to CONSTANTLY remind myself that I AM adding muscle.

I'd suggest logging your calories to see if you're coming in too low. Wouldn't that be nice if you could actually eat MORE and start losing weight again???? :wink_smile:

Good luck!

This is the story of my life!!!

I was banded April 8th and have lost a total of 18 pounds since my surgery--23 all together. I exercise (go to the gym, run, hike, bicycle, swim) every day, eat very little, had 2 fills and have decent restriction, but cannot lose pounds!!

Don't feel bad--we were banded around the same date and you have lost far more weight than I have.... you are doing great!!!!

P.S. Like the others have mentioned, I also have started logging my food intake and exercise on myfitnesspal.com and I may be eating too few calories...try it and see where you come out....

Edited by lynzz

I lost 30 pounds before surgery. Since surgery on May 7th I lost 12 pounds and then gained 5 pounds :smile2:. I had my first fill but I don't really feel any restriction at all. My biggest problem is being plugged up since the surgery. I think I am also at a plateau.

Another place to log what you eat is on sparkpeople@com .

Pattic- if you're plugged up, try some Miralax. I find that it works quite well. I've tried justs about everything and I find that this is the best for me. I used it for a day or 2 and then I'm fine for 10-14 days and I use it again. This is an ongoing problem for many of us.

Okay, well I'm glad that I'm not the only one. I'm very discouraged. My first fill is tomorrow and I'm actually looking forward to it! I'm staying hungry and not losing an ounce!!! I need to find my sweet spot soon!!!

Pattic- if you're plugged up, try some Miralax. I find that it works quite well. I've tried justs about everything and I find that this is the best for me. I used it for a day or 2 and then I'm fine for 10-14 days and I use it again. This is an ongoing problem for many of us.

Thanks for the info. I will try it. It is amazing how much being plugged up affects you. :lol:

Hiya!

I've not even lost 1lb in nearly the last week.

I was on 700-800 calories a day ....is that enough to lose weigh??

I tried for a few more yesterday....maybe 900

Confused as to whether to have more cals or less to get the weigh moving again!!

Amanda

x