Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should people barely over 200 lbs or below 200 get Lapband or any WLS...?

Should people barely over 200 lbs or below 200 lbs have Lapband or any other WLS.  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Should people barely over 200 lbs or below 200 lbs have Lapband or any other WLS.

• Yes, they have the right to if they want it.
    • No, it's a waste of money and not worth it.
    • I don't know and I don't care.
    • No freaking way!!! Just eat a little less dangit!!!

Hi... I'm new to this site, but I was just over 200 lbs when I had the band put on. I paid for this myself. My ideal weight by medical standards is 135. Both sides of my family are severly overweight, and my mother had both knees replaced, which is something many in her family have had, and my knees have a tough time keeping up with my 3 year old twins. The only opinions I would consider where mine, my husband and my doctor.

I'm 5'2, over 200 is obese, but my insurance did not pay a dime. I was self pay and don't regret spending the money.

I believe if a person has the money, they should have the right to have the surgery. The longer a person waits, the more they will have to lose and the more difficult the surgery and the weight loss becomes.

PS

I love my band!

Hi all,

Just thought I would throw my hat into the ring.

At 5"2" and 220lbs, I had extreme health problems. Severe PCOS, insulin resistance, high cholesterol, joint problems, depression/anxiety/self esteem problems. I was pre-diabetic and I was advised by my doctor that if I didn't lose the weight, not only would I be infertile from PCOS but I would be risking heart attack, stroke, and various other problems in the next 5 years. I'm 22!

I tried everything -- Weight watchers numerous times, liquid diets/optifast, jenny craig, therapy, the works. Nothing helped until the band.

You can only decide whether this surgery is right for you -- no-one has the right to decide what is best for someone else. I think it's sad that people have been attacking each other on this board. We are all here to support each other, through THICKNESS and health.

Here is a pre-surgery picture of me -- I don't think anyone would disagree that I needed help.

post-233338-13813137636407_thumb.jpg

Hi AnnieDub!

I think you were/are gorgeous. But yes, 220 pounds is just a lot of weight for a short person. I'm so glad I got my surgery. My quality of life has improved dramatically just from the hiatal hernia repair.

What I don't get is, I've done the diet and put on, diet and put on merry-go-round. Why on earth would I want to make someone else have to suffer that ride when I already KNOW it doesn't work?

I would also venture to say that must of us who have reached the obesity designation has yo-yo'd dieted along the way. Once obese, I'm in total support of someone having WLS as a viable option to become healthy. This isn't about some ideal of beauty; it's about our health and quality of life. Having a nice figure is a fringe benefit.

I think what alot of people don't realize is that WLS does not solve the problems of yo-yo dieting and all the other pitfalls. WLS is only a tool to aid in healthy weight lose. There are people that WLS has not worked. I'm curious are any of those people out there? Or do they avoid this site because they are not doing well or perhaps gained weight back or maybe were not successful at all.

I think I've been pretty vocal about my issues with the band. I was a yo yoer and I did not do well with the band and it was removed last Friday. Had it for over 13 months.

I think what alot of people don't realize is that WLS does not solve the problems of yo-yo dieting and all the other pitfalls. WLS is only a tool to aid in healthy weight lose. There are people that WLS has not worked. I'm curious are any of those people out there? Or do they avoid this site because they are not doing well or perhaps gained weight back or maybe were not successful at all.

We're out here. A lot of us just lurk, though. But even though the lap band hasn't been the best "tool" for some of us, some of us still haven't given up. I just got a gym membership and am doing things the old fashion way. Some days my band kicks in, but most days, I don't feel like I am even banded. Still trying, though.

Good for you Jasmine :tt1: I'm glad your still going straw and trying to do good Healthwise. I hope your band starts working the way it should too.

I have been all over the board on this one.......i am short, and i am morbidly obese with my initial BMI at 42. I have been doing the presurgical diet thing and have lost around 11 pounds which brings me to BMI 40.........I work for a doctor, and I am a nurse. I see people who have several co-morbidities and are much heavier than I am.........I don't think that anyone should have the right to decide about WLS except for that individual and that person's medical provider. I have been discouraged all along my process thus far with statements like........"YOU are not 100 pounds overweight!" or "Sure you will loose weight when someone ties your stomach shut" or "Exercise...." yadayada u get my point......it wasn't until i really decided that i was going to go for it that i was sure and i don't think anyone can base that on weight........each person for him/herself.....

Good for you Shassy!! There is a big difference between someone who is 5 ft weighing 200 lbs. and someone who is 5'6" or more. For me 200 lbs. is almost a healthy weight I can't wait until I get to 200 lbs. I'm not that tall 5' 5" &1/2 but I am a large woman. My feet are bigger than my husbands and so are my hands ect. I think you get what I'm saying. Even at my thinest the smallest size I ever got into was a 10 , by societies standards that huge. We have gotten to where if a women isn't a size 2 or less she's considered fat. Also health concerns should trump everything else. If losing weight will make a difference for someones health that's the most important factor. What is fat for me may not be for another. We all come in different shapes and sizes. Good Luck Shassy and everyone else in improving their health. As much as I enjoy the compliments on my weight lose what really makes me happy is knowing my health is improving each day.We wouldn't have this discussion about any other life saving surgery.