Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

After the band, what about co-morbids?

I'm interested to hear how the band has improved peoples co-morbidities.

I do have diabetes and there is indications that with bypass surgery goes away, but I have also heard that it can get better and off meds with the band. My doctor is trying to push me toward the bypass surgery.

Also what about sleep apnea?

I have all the co-morbids so besides wanting to look better and be more comfortable, I really need the weight loss for health reasons.

I really need some more insight. I desperate to get this surgery.

Anne

These are questions probably best answered by your doctor who is equipped with hard research to back his opinions. He's also familiar with your particular case. If you don't trust what your doctor is telling you, get a second and third opinion.

Hi TravelLady,

I understand what you mean about getting healthier and losing the co-morbidities. I am a type 2 diabetic with sleep apnea and high blood pressure. I was banded June 5th (will be a month this Thursday). Since the surgery, my sleep apnea is gone. I had a hiatal hernia repair at the same time and apparently that took care of that problem. My insulin is at 1/3 of what I was on. I am already off one of my blood pressure medications. Still have one to go. I have lost 22 lbs since my pre-op diet.

The National Institutes of Health actually has published statistics on reversal of co-morbidities for both lap band and bypass. For lap band, I believe the diabetes reversal rate is about 85%. They have found an almost 100% cure rate with gastric bypass because the duodenum is severed and for some reason that causes a total reversal. The research on that phenomenon is just now underway. I thought the stats for lap band were pretty darn good for a much less invasive procedure, but you might want to check out their website www.nih.gov

I wish you lots of luck!

My surgeon said that 85% of people with sleep apnea get relief when they lose weight. I'm really hoping so....would love to come of my Bipap!

I didn't have issues with sleep apnea and diabetes, although there is a family history of diabetes. My fasting blood sugar did tend to run high, so I was on my way there.

Before surgery, my blood pressure was starting to get into the borderline range. Friday at the doctor's office, it was 25 points lower on the top number. That shows me that the little bit of weight loss so far is already making me healthier.

Mary:

Thanks for your reply. It's so good to hear that your BP, sleep Apenea and type 2 diabetes have gotten better since your banding. I also have those same medical problems and am your same age, so I feel that you are a great example for me. This helps put my mind at ease, because my physicians have been no help, when it comes to Lap Band informaion.

Anne from Pasadena, Ca

Anne, you are so welcome. I really understand how important it is (and comforting) to know there are others with the same issues and they can get better. Do you have a surgery date yet?