Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Couch to 5k.....come join me!!

Ok. I survived the weekend and my stomach virus. I was way sick. Stuck with mostly fluids over the weekend and what do I get for all my troubles?? A gain of 4 pounds!! I could just scream!!

Anyway, I just finished day 1 of week 2. At first I didn't think it was any harder than week 1, but by the end those 90 sec running intervals were burning more. It feels good to be active.

Tommorow I will do body sculpting and then ready to run on Wednesday!!

How is everyone else's day going?

I did week one again...my heart rate was in the 170s during my run so I am glad I didn't push it even harder! It felt great...awesome workout!

great job renewedhope on week 2 day 1

congrats to you, whosya for completing 10k!

Everyone is doing so good. Its wonderful to have great support here!

Ok. I survived the weekend and my stomach virus. I was way sick. Stuck with mostly fluids over the weekend and what do I get for all my troubles?? A gain of 4 pounds!! I could just scream!!

Anyway, I just finished day 1 of week 2. At first I didn't think it was any harder than week 1, but by the end those 90 sec running intervals were burning more. It feels good to be active.

Tommorow I will do body sculpting and then ready to run on Wednesday!!

How is everyone else's day going?

don't stress about the weight gain! It's likely Water weight- when you are sick your body produces all sorts of inflammatory cytokines that can screw with Fluid retention! Glad you are feeling better (I agree with you about week 2) :biggrin:

Bonnie- good for you for pacing yourself! Its better to do that then get frustrated and burn out.

congrats on the 10k! whosya

lyn- there is some good info about treating/preventing shinsplints on the coolrunning website :) feel better!

I am so proud after I finish a workout. First, because I actually did it. Second, because I didn't DIE, and third because I finished it.

Bonnie, nice cardiac workout - what is is resting heart rate?

My resting heart rate is in the 50's and I can get it up to 150's; but I am huffin and puffin. I ususally burn 350 calories per walk/run.

I wear a pulsar monitor and I really like it.

what is resting heart rate?

My resting heart rate is in the 50's and I can get it up to 150's; but I am huffin and puffin. I ususally burn 350 calories per walk/run.

Says the American Heart Association:

What is resting heart rate? This is a person's heart rate at rest. The best time to find out your resting heart rate is in the morning, after a good night's sleep, and before you get out of bed. The heart beats about 60 to 80 times a minute when we're at rest. Resting heart rate usually rises with age, and it's generally lower in physically fit people. Resting heart rate is used to determine one's training target heart rate.

Go here: Target Heart Rates to figure out your target heart rate.

How should I pace myself?

When starting an exercise program, aim at the lowest part of your target zone (50 percent) during the first few weeks. Gradually build up to the higher part of your target zone (75 percent). After six months or more of regular exercise, you may be able to exercise comfortably at up to 85 percent of your maximum heart rate. However, you don't have to exercise that hard to stay in shape.

Great work everyone!!

I usually burn only 250 calories in 30 minutes during walk/run and my heart rate is between 165-173...whats up with that. I burn a lot more calories on the elliptical for doing a less strenuous workout. I will never understand that! I am dying on the treadmill but on the elliptical--not at all! I don't know what my resting heart rate is..I have a hard time finding and keeping track of my pulse.

Edited by BonnieMcC

I usually burn only 250 calories in 30 minutes during walk/run and my heart rate is between 165-173...whats up with that. I burn a lot more calories on the elliptical for doing a less strenuous workout. I will never understand that! I am dying on the treadmill but on the elliptical--not at all! I don't know what my resting heart rate is..I have a hard time finding and keeping track of my pulse.

I have a bodybugg and have found what the machines say I'm burning vs what the bodybugg says I'm burning are VERY different. For the eliptical to give me the "accurate" bodybugg reading (and I put that in quotes because the bodybugg isn't 100% accurate- I think its in the 80-90% range) I have to put a weight in of 110 lbs!!!! There is a benefit of these walk/runs- there is data that high intensity interval training where you go moderate intensity (fast walk) with bursts of high intensity (run) can increase your metabolism long beyond your workout so try not to get fixated on what the machine is saying you are burning. :)

did week 3 day 1 today. The second 3 minute jog was not easy. I was able to finish and my heart rate came back down very fast but this week may be the one I need to repeat before week 4's 5 minute jogs. I'll see how I feel at the end of the week.

happy running everyone!

I read your posts the other day and was so inspired, I thought that I would join you.

Last night I did the first walk/run for the first week. Oh boy, I did okay to begin with, but the end was a struggle. I did it though!!!! :)

My 11 year old son and his friend joined me last night. My son will be walking/running with me on a regular basis. :cool2: We live on a one lane country road with a few hills. It never failed, Zachary always said "run" when we were walking UP the hill. :tt2:

I think however, that I will be doing each week twice. At least in the beginning. We will see.

Whosya - I will be following your advice about doing the time and not worrying about speed. :mellow:

I am thinking about (possibly) doing a 5k that we have locally in October/November. I'll have to check my progress first.

Have a great day!!!

Edited by SugarBean

Congratulations, everyone, on your progress! This week I planned to repeat week 1, but I looked at the times and said, "What the hell, what's another 30 seconds of jogging!" I would just like to echo renewed hope and say....

Ok. I just finished day 1 of week 2. At first I didn't think it was any harder than week 1, but by the end those 90 sec running intervals were burning more.

I agree with lynlyn, also. It feels like such an accomplishment to complete one of these workouts without dying or passing out. When I heard the final chimes, I felt like Rocky. (I tried to run up those art museum steps once...:))

Anyway, I think I'll definitely be repeating this week. I looked ahead and at this point I can't even fathom jogging for 3 minutes straight. But we'll see. Last week I didn't even think I'd be able to jog for 90 seconds. But I did..SIX times!

Keep up the good work everyone!

You guys rock. I didn't get to do day 3 of week 1 (I have been sick). So I am going to repeat week 1. I am a bit scared. Since I have started going to the gym a few months ago, I went every single day, missing, at the most 1 day a week and that was rare. I have missed 4 days and still feel crummy. I hope I can continue my regular workouts. I feel like if I miss that much I may never be able to do it again!

Thanks for this thread. I have been lurking and decided to start the program. I have heard of the couch to 5k before, but didn't know it was a program. I love it! Thanks for the Podrunner downloads, they are great! I just finished my first week. I like the idea of repeating each week twice. My goal is to run the Susan G Komen this year.

I also get the "Rocky" feeling when I hear the final chimes. I feel like turning around on the treadmill and taking a bow in front of the entire gym!

Thanks again fellow Bandsters!

Mal,

Thats funny about wanting to turn around a bow because I think that too. Or I want yell "YESSSSSSSSSS!" but I am afraid it will sound too orgasmic! haha!

I have a hard enough time not singing along with my iPod while in the gym. Luckily there are no lyrics to podrunner (even if there were, I am too out of breath to sing!)

Wendy,

I know what you mean about being out of the gym for awhile. Its hard to get started back up. I have done that throughout the past several years of my life. I have had a gym membership throughout the whole time I have been overweight and I go religiously and then if I miss a few days (or months!) it is so hard to get back into the groove. You feel like its day one again!