Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help me choose between Realize and Lap bands! Surgery Tommorow - please help

Well, I guess I just figured that the Realize Band had a lot of attributes that seemed like plusses to me. For example, I really like the low profile port, and the shape of the port is wider so they can find it without a lot of digging around. I also like that it seems to have less port flips because it has a different anchoring mechanism. Also, the tubing from the port to the band is in a different location so the risk of the tubing getting punctured during a fill is lessened.

Regarding the band itself, the low pressure appeals to me because I think it would help prevent stuff from getting too stuck and it seems gentler on the stomach. A guy on the OH Realize message board emailed me and said that seems to be true for him and people in his local support group. Also the band itself is wider and this supposedly helps reduce slippage. The triangle thing still bothers me, but I think the softness of the silicone keeps it from being too big of a problem.

If I had more time I would probably really hound my surgeon and the Realize help people to get more answers, but I had to decide now. I mean I don't consider all these things to be "facts", just theories that I can see as plausible (other than the port shape). Part of the whole "band experience" that kind of frustrates me is the fact that it is so individual. Everyone has a different story - rate of weight loss, stuff they can't eat, recovery, head hungries.

I still wonder if the triangle shape will cause the band to rub against itself and erode itself, but I will cross that bridge if I come to it.

I think the Lap Band is still a great band, and if I had had surgery a month ago it wouldn't have even been an option, since my guy is just now offering it.

Hopefully I will be able to keep everyone updated next week - I need all the support I can get!

Deb

The surgeon I'm going to uses both bands, so I've been very interested in this thread. I know this is a silly question :blushing:, but what does "low profile" port mean? I know what the port is, but is it flatter or something?

Deb - thank you so much for sharing all of this information. I think it looks like we all can use the continued support, and so far this site seems great for that. It's been an amazing tool to me already (for research), and I don't even have the band yet! :blushing: GOOD LUCK and be sure to let us know how it goes for you.....

I talked with my surgeon and I have no ax to grind but he also mention the thing about the folds of the balloon of the realize band. He also mentioned a few other things:

The low port is nice but there isn't much difference between the stance on the Realize port thus making it more difficult to find the proper placement of the needle for fills(think volcano shape, easy to tell where the lava goes as oppose to a small inset on a box size shape). Because it is so shallow he said that it is hard to know where the bottom is for the fill. He anticipates this will mean more people done under flouro. Also the tube from the band to the port doesn't show up on x-ray whereas the other does (don't know if this is usfull). He showed me the ports and it made sense though I know its hard to communicate what I am saying over the net.

Also said J&J insists that it be put in unfilled so when they do there first fill and he extracts the contents( I think they have to or else the pressure of the air wouldn't let the saline go in) first to fill, it gets air in it. Whereas the other gets some primer in it.

Also, he showed me how the part of the band around the ballon slides easily. He said he isn't sure if that is a good thing or not.

These are his words. Just food for thought. I have decided against the Realize band, but it seemed that either were fine. I am sure some dr are just more comfortable about what they have always done. Good luck with your surgery tomorrow and in making your decision.

It's been really nice reading this thread and seeing everyone stay calm, and not get hostile or defensive about liking or not liking one particular band! I've seen a few threads where people got pretty worked up in favor or against one band or the other and in the end, I don't think it's a huge difference. Both bands have been used for years (Realize has been used in Sweden for a long time) and both bands have their fans.

NewHere, hope your surgery today is going really well.... let us know!

i bet if we look at the web pages 2-5 yrs from now we are going to see many other new bands just place the choice in the surgeons hands he/she done enough to know whats best for you good luck!

HI, I have the Realize C band which is precurved so there is no triangular shaping when filled. I certainly feel good with it. No problems except one time I ate too fast. But that is not the bands fault. I have to wait at least 90 days between fills so I have not had much restriction. I have had one fill ( 8cc) rather agressive and I need another one but that will not happened until Sept.

so the weight loss has been slow. My concern is that I only have 3 cc's left and will I have long term restriction and hit the sweet spot

Hmm so I read this whole thread and it was very interesting. I myself have the realize band and for the very reasons you have pointed out the low port and the wider band all I liked. So now ONE YEAR down and lost a total of 75lbs! I couldn't be happier it was a slow loss but when I began this journey I didn't sign up for a "race" I signed up to lose weight and I have done nothing but lose!!!!! It's been while but I wonder what band they chose afterall...