Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A thought...especially for the moms on the forum

I went to my bariatric surgeon today to get a slight adjustment to my band and we were talking about the positives losing so much weight has had on my life. I was speaking about how thrilled I am that my girls are watching a healthier mom who gets up and moves and takes walks and jumps on the trampoline etc..instead of sitting like a sloth in my chair like I used to. While I was on my tirade, he stopped me to say(something like) this:

"Yes, it is great that your kids have a better role model, but the best part is that YOU are having fun. After a life of being trapped and virtually unable to have fun because of your weight, you are having fun...and while the benefits are good for your kids, you're the best part of losing the weight."

HOLY SMOKES...He was right. I forgot about me.

I, for one, feel infinitely better and am thrilled to be doing this for myself...And I did need to be reminded of that....As a mom, I think I make the mistake of putting my children before me at all times...But I have to remember that one day they will move out and I will be left with myself...so it is imperative that I remember that my weight loss is for me.

I have to love myself enough to accept that I am important enough to be the reason.

Just a thought.

Edited by Rainer

I went to my bariatric surgeon today to get a slight adjustment to my band and we were talking about the positives losing so much weight has had on my life. I was speaking about how thrilled I am that my girls are watching a healthier mom who gets up and moves and takes walks and jumps on the trampoline etc..instead of sitting like a sloth in my chair like I used to. While I was on my tirade, he stopped me to say(something like) this:

"Yes, it is great that your kids have a better role model, but the best part is that YOU are having fun. After a life of being trapped and virtually unable to have fun because of your weight, you are having fun...and while the benefits are good for your kids, you're the best part of losing the weight."

HOLY SMOKES...He was right. I forgot about me.

I, for one, feel infinitely better and am thrilled to be doing this for myself...And I did need to be reminded of that....As a mom, I think I make the mistake of putting my children before me at all times...But I have to remember that one day they will move out and I will be left with myself...so it is imperative that I remember that my weight loss is for me.

I have to love myself enough to accept that I am important enough to be the reason.

Just a thought.

I had a similiar experience last week at the plastic surgeon consult. while Dr was asking examining me naked. And I was trying not to cry from being so mortified at anyone having to see my deflated body, he asked what bothers me most and what did I want to have done first? I turned to my husband and asked him,,, His answer was, Nothing about you bothers me honey, I love you just the way you are, BUT I know that there are things that bother you and I know that YOU would be happier with a TT. BUT again I am only here to supoprt you and stand beside you whatever you and the Dr decide....... Ahhh I love that man........ :unsure:

Rain you look wonderful, you have come so far and your face shows so much happiness. Keep up the wonderful journey for yourself,,, and your family.:thumbup::wub:

Wow! What great stories! And both of your stories are true in that we are ultimately doing this for ourselves but we tend to forget that and focus on others, as usual! Women are very good (bad) at doing that! thanks for sharing!

Rainer:

You've done amazingly well. I have to admit that I have too. It does feel so good to be able to move again. I was getting bored with walking so I bought a trikke. Now I love exercising. It's so much fun that I forget that it's a workout because it feels like playtime to me.

Enjoy your newfound freedom from the fat. I wish I had a trampoline because that sounds like a blast too.

Thanks for sharing your happy feelings. I think that happy feelings can be contagious once shared!

Take care.

Sue

I agree Rain, that we do tend to put our kids first----and mine are all closer to 30 than 20 now!!! I just wanted to add, that while it truly IS important to do this for you---the lessons you are giving to your children by doing something like this for yourself are wonderful!! They see you taking care of yourself, and they learn to take care of themselves. The new ways of eating and exercise are lessons they will have with them all their lives. So by doing this for YOU......YOU pass on wonderful life lessons for them to carry on.

While my DD's are as I say older 25 & 26, it was impressive even to them for Mom to commit and actually do it and follow through and be successful, I could not ask for them to be prouder of me! It feels great to show them that they can do things for themselves and not be viewed as shallow or selfish.

Especially important lessons for daughters I think.

Congrats on your success!

Kat

Yep, aren't families wonderful sometimes? I was talking to my daughter about my surgery and how much better I will feel and look and she looked at me and said, 'Mom, I love you no matter how much you weigh, you're the best', I thought I was going to cry. She is 15 and the sweetest girl in the world!! (I may be biased) Anyway, your doctor is right, you are the best part of this and by recognizing your value you have done the right thing for you and your family. Keep up the good work!

Well stated!!!! Congrats on your wonderful weight loss. It is nice to actually be able to say that I did something for myself. I have a 2 year old and wanted to be around longer for him and be able to keep up with him. But I definitely did this for myself too.

Wow, I am really going through the same thing. I had my surgery on 10/11/07 and lost 78 pounds by Easter. Well, I have gained back 34 since then. I cannot get enough sugar. Cookies, ice cream, chocolate, I feel like I eat it non-stop. Getting fills makes it harder to eat the healthy stuff, so I end up with the stuff that does go down. The more sugar I eat the more I want! I feel a huge cloud of depression when I think about how well I was doing. I was exercising an hour a day and wasn't eating anything bad for me. I got off track, and now I'm in a downward spiral. I went to my doctor's office and the nurse said I still have to have self-control. I thought afterward that if I had self-control, I wouldn't have needed the lap-band! How are you guys losing over 100 pounds! I need to lose another 100 to get to a 'normal' weight, and with my addiction to sugar I just don't think it's possible. I am so impressed by those of you who are so close to goal.

Well, the first thing you need to do it to get off that sugar!!!!! You are feeding your addiction with sugar. NOT GOOD!!!! Stop!!!!!! If you are so tight you just eat junk, get an unfill for awhile so you can eat something that is good for you. The only way is to NOT eat sugar. Later on you may be able to add it in, but if you can't without losing control, then don't. You can do this. You can do this for you!!!!!