Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is the rudest thing someone has said to you?!?!

Without a doubt, the rudest things have been said to me here.

Its the "it was easier for you because you dont have sleep apnoea, you werent as fat as me, you dont have two heads" variety of excuses that piss me off the most. Of course it wasnt any easier for me than anyone else, I just chose to stop with the excuses and self delusions when I got banded. That's WHY I got banded, because I was ready to get real and get on with it.

I also get a lot of the "you're just a mean reformed fatty" comments. When people dont like real, honest, practical advice and instead want to be told that its OK never to exercise because you have sleep apnoa and that makes you special and you will lose weight without any exercise even though nobody else can, they can cut up VERY nasty. And rude.

So I'm some magically gifted person upon whom some greater being decided to bestow this wonderful, effortless weightloss for which I had to do absolutely nothing? And its fine for ME to run an hour a day because I like it, and that makes it somehow effortless, whereas poor baby who's having a go at me, doesnt like it therefore how can SHE be expected to exercise?

Man, those assumptions are far far ruder and more offensive than anything that was ever said to me in a previous fat life.

I have to say that the most hurtful comment was from a guy in high school I wanted to date so bad. He told me that "if I wasn't a fat chick, he would go out with me". SO~ here I am 20 something years later going for the lap band and you know what I'm going to do ~ I'm going to by 20 year high school reunion and I'm going to flaunt my new self in his face!

The most hurtful comment ever came from someone on this site...i had posted that i lost 100 pounds in about 4 months and the person replied something to the effect if its even true...it was true and i had liked this site because most people were very kind and supportive...apparently not every one.

The second comment came from an aquaintance since I had the surgery...first of all i tell everybody i know about my surgery because it is the greatest thing that has happened to me...anyway i was telling this girl about how i had the surgery and how much i lost and she said i dont want 2 be rude but i think u need to get another one.

It makes me very sad when I read that some of the most unsupportive and rudest comments have come from this site. I try to be very careful about how I word things so as not to offend anyone...sometimes the written word is hard to interpret. I think some of it (just like in the real world) is jealousy. I think other people just don't know how to say things in a constructive, tactful way. For others, I think it's just the fact that they have anonymity and feel bolder than they would if they were standing right in front of you.

Hi all you beautiful people, Just think we have learned true compassion for our fellow men/women because we were chosen to have a weight problem as our cross to bear. It has taught us that everybody is not perfect, our problem is visible for everybody to see, but other people have problems that we can't see so it makes them feel better about themselves when they put us down. Knock us down, and we won't be around them long enough to discover their hidden problems. Let's just keep our heads up and be proud of our decision to help ourselves. Maggie:thumbup::thumbup:

It makes me very sad when I read that some of the most unsupportive and rudest comments have come from this site. I try to be very careful about how I word things so as not to offend anyone...sometimes the written word is hard to interpret. I think some of it (just like in the real world) is jealousy. I think other people just don't know how to say things in a constructive, tactful way. For others, I think it's just the fact that they have anonymity and feel bolder than they would if they were standing right in front of you.

I tell you all now.... I am jealous! I am however very proud of each one of you that have started your Lap Band journey's already. I am SO ready for mine to start ~ Just think, you have come a very long way and I think that people that are being ugly about it need to really think before they speak. We all have endured being teased at one point in our lives about being big, but we chose to do something about it. My middle daughter is over weight and when gets teased in school I tell her to let them know that at least she can loose weight!

36_1_44.gif This was me.7_5_142.gifThis is me36_1_1.gifThis will be me when I am at goal.

In 5th grade a girl put her lunch in my locker and told the teacher I stole it cause I was fat. The teacher knew better and luckely someone seen Coleen put it in my locker.. I had nick names like "Semi" "Whale" of course everyones favorite song..." fatty fatty two-by-four could'nt get thru the batroom door".... you get the drift. along with "you are so pretty, but"

Latest one was a man I was dating (5 yrs ago) had asked me to marry him. When his family found out he actually broke it off because of them! I was to fat for them! I see him all the time because he works at the store where I do all my shopping at. I remain polite to him. He has asked me several times to go out with him again, because we don't have to let his family know! I don't think so! I told him I am way better than that. Well when I reach goal I will go over to his family and let them see me. The same person fat or thin. I will also go to my next high school reunion and feel sorry for all of those that teased me as a kid and see how much they gained.Then I can feel sorry for them. sorry so long.

sig.jsp?pc=[object Object]&pp=ZRxdm609NVUS

36_1_44.gif This was me.7_5_142.gifThis is me36_1_1.gifThis will be me when I am at goal.

In 5th grade a girl put her lunch in my locker and told the teacher I stole it cause I was fat. The teacher knew better and luckely someone seen Coleen put it in my locker.. I had nick names like "Semi" "Whale" of course everyones favorite song..." fatty fatty two-by-four could'nt get thru the batroom door".... you get the drift. along with "you are so pretty, but"

Latest one was a man I was dating (5 yrs ago) had asked me to marry him. When his family found out he actually broke it off because of them! I was to fat for them! I see him all the time because he works at the store where I do all my shopping at. I remain polite to him. He has asked me several times to go out with him again, because we don't have to let his family know! I don't think so! I told him I am way better than that. Well when I reach goal I will go over to his family and let them see me. The same person fat or thin. I will also go to my next high school reunion and feel sorry for all of those that teased me as a kid and see how much they gained.Then I can feel sorry for them. sorry so long.

sig.jsp?pc=[object Object]&pp=ZRxdm609NVUS

I tell you what....I have heard that WAY too many times to count. What really has hurt me the most is my daughter calling me fat. She didn't mean to be ugly (I don't think) but she did. That was the turning point for me. I think I might have embarrassed her at some point.

I was standing in line at a gas station after getting off a 12 hour shift standing the whole time. I have weird feet and I was in a lot of pain so I shifting my feet from side to side as I was in line FOREVER. The guy beside me asked why I was moving around. I told him my feet her I stood all day at work. "you stand all day, at work? It doesn't look that way, it looks like you sit all day" and then he laughed.

I said "looks can be confusing. I thought you looked intelligent, well damn if I was waaaay off"

LMAO! That is a good one! My daughter is overweight and she told this little boy one time "Well, I can loose weight but you can't wash off ugly" ~ I like to have DIED!

OMG - I love that! What a great girl - seriously, you can't teach that kind of spirit and that is awesome. My son recently had an issue with a kid at school giving him a hard time (not about weight or anything, just in general) and I told James to tell the kid "You're acting like a butt, so all I hear right now is farting." It made James laugh and the kid laugh when James said it, which really helped ramp down the tension. Plus he is 8 so he thinks that there is nothing funnier than fart humor. :smile2:

That is awesome! I will have to tell Hope that one too. She has a hard time in school some days ~ that will really brighen her up! Hey, I saw on your signature that your are finally under 300 lbs. I wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! I am looking so forward to my surgery date (don't have one yet).

Thanks!! And I love her name Hope. You know, school sucks so bad no matter what - I guess unless you are literally the prom queen. I was thin and pretty in high school and I had great grades. And it still sucked big time!! I thought I was fat (if only I had known...), I never felt as pretty as people around me, I wasn't as smart as those guys, I got teased about being a geek from these guys, blah blah blah. And in grammar school I was on the outskirts of the other kids - super not popular and I still don't know quite why. I wasn't fat, I wasn't dumb, I wasn't ugly, I wasn't poor - so I didn't have the generic label but I didn't have the best labels either, I was moderately outgoing, I had a happy family that was low key (so no family drama), etc. And the most popular girl? Actually kind of ugly! And then when I went to high school, it didn't matter that all of a sudden I had filled out and looked really pretty - I was still that girl from grammar school. So dating me was a no go. Luckily, I went to a big high school and it was pretty easy to avoid them and get a clean slate with kids from other grammar schools. So the point of all that is that I really think popularity and all is just intangible and a mystery. Which actually makes things better, because it means that once you leave high school a lot of that crap is left behind. So girls like Hope can finally step out of these stupid and often unjustified labels and be seen for HER - which is apparently a pretty freaking awesome person! I am 31 and I still couldn't stand up to someone the way she did! Kudos to you both!