Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is the rudest thing someone has said to you?!?!

I know this wasn't a very Christian thing to say but.....I was out walking in the small town I grew up in. A car full of young teens drove by and whistled and yelled "your fat". My response just slipped out. "I may be fat, but you are ugly. At least I can change what is wrong with me." :)

I've had several comments, most from stupid people. The ones that hurt the most and are STILL with me today 8-10 years later) came from my dad. He told me on separate occasions "No one will want to hire you because you're so fat", "Who would want to marry someone so fat?" and (my favorite, about 3 weeks after becoming engaged) "I'm not going to be proud to walk you down the aisle because you're so fat".

I also hate doctors because of what I've encountered. I had been off birth control for almost 2 years and was still unable to get pregnant, so I went to the Dr. We were stationed overseas, and had to go to the base doctors. I had several stupid doctors tell me different things (one told me I was making it all up). My favorite, though, was a doctor who came in, took one look at me and my weight (written on the chart) and said, "You're too fat to have kids. Put down the bonbons, get off your butt and get to a gym". He completely ignored the fact I had been working out 6 days a week and strictly following WW for 18 months with only a two pound loss to show. I took another few months (and a move to another base) before I was diagnosed with PCOS.

Edited by lauragshsu

Most comments I am usually able to laugh off and ignore. Only one comment has stuck with me throughout the years... My grandmother (a royal b!%$#) pulled me off to the side and said that she had something important to show me. At this time I was about 9 yrs old and roughly 40lb overweight. She pulls me into her bedroom and tells me to watch TV. To sum up the tv show it was about how obesity kills people and she said that if I don't stop stuffing my face I'm going to die before she does. She said she's only showing me this because she cares...

I'm gonna call BS on that!

that's just awful that anybody would do that to you. I'm glad you had the state of mind to take up for yourself with that quick quip. I would have been too in shock to come up with something that good.

that's so wrong. I too had a grandma who was always hard on me but she never realized how bad she hurt my feelings. It was years later that she said she never realized how sensitive I was. At this point she was dying of cancer and I guess you rethink a lot of what you say and do to people then.

Yeah, I am about over the pretty face comment, that really ticks me off. Why single my face out, why not tell me that I am a beautiful person. People don't think...seriously. Next time I meet someone who tells me that, I am going to tell them about themsleves, no holds barred.

I do have a recent rude comment at work, by a severely obese man. I told him that I was considering the lap-band surgery, and his reply was well good, you will look great and then you can find a mate. What he doesn't know is that I keep my personal life just that, personal, because my job consists of 50+ white male, southern baptist, republicans who already look down on me because I am heavily tattooed. They would really freak if they knew that I was a liberal lesbian as well. LOL.

Anyhow, I just smiled, what I really wanted to say was "my fat a** has no problem getting dates thank you."

One of my rudest comments was just a few weeks ago by someone I had been dating for the past few years, I was sick (stomach flu) and when he asked what was wrong I said I am just sick cant eat and he said thats good you could stand to miss a few meals, I was crushed, I decided right then and there I would never be that same girl again.

It surprises me every time I hear somebody tell me their stories. It's just a bunch of hot air coming from ghastly people. So sad that they can't see you for who you are.

Wow, it has been great reading these post, now I don't feel alone. I have 2 for you:

I have been going to the same ob-gyn for years. He has saw the scales go up and down like crazy. I asked him is there anything that would help me (meaning meds) He said" sure, duct tape. It really hurts when you rip it off"

Hopefully, I will like my new Ob dr.

2nd jerk, getting a pedicure, same girl that has done them for years. Was talking about Lap band, this nasty man beside me says, "just stop eating"

I shouldn't have been so rude, I just smiled and said, "just stop breathing" Of course then I explained that if I was an alcoholic I could never have it again or if I was a drug addict I could never have them again, however food is required to live. Then thanked him for putting his comment into our conversation. I'm from the south so I sure he didn't realize I was being sarcastic.

Why do people think this is the lazy person's way? I am only 5 days post op and it has been very painful. I didn't come out of surgery skinny. Oh well, let's keep our head up and lose the weight with this valuable tool. Good luck everybody. We are all beautiful.

When I was a kid, my mother used to tell me that if I got any bigger that I would wear hefty bags as clothing. Now she calls me "too skinny" but still tells me I need to lose my stomach. She needs to phuck off.

Okay here's my story. This happened not even 2 weeks ago (after I had lost over 95 lbs). I work in the political world and this potential candidate came into my office and I walked with him over to the cashier's office so he could pay for his maps he had ordered. As we walked away from the counter he turned to me and asked me when my baby was due. I was mortified. I looked at him and in my loudest voice possible I shouted out I'm not pregnant I'm just really fat!!! His face turned beat red and he profusely apologized. I hope I made him feel like a jackass. He definitely won't be getting my vote!!!

I guess it isn't so much as what was said but I was on a plane going on a business trip and the stewardess came over and didn't even try and whisper but she said it would be necessary for me to purchase another seat would I please give her a credit card.. She went charged it and came back and had me sign it. The whole plane watched I was devistated.. They could have been more tactful. I have never flown them again.

Which airline was it?

You know what I think is rude??? People telling you that you look SO much better after losing weight and paying attention to you when you lose weight, when they couldn't care less about you before when you were fat!! That's what's under my skin right now!!

I'm sorry, I know this was posted a year ago, but I just had to comment! This is something I worry about every now and then... I'm afraid that once I start loosing the weight, and people tell me that I look good, or better, or pretty, that I might be offended and wonder, was I ugly before? :biggrin: