Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is the rudest thing someone has said to you?!?!

My gosh yes Carrie! You are so right. I really hate that, but for me being the type of person I am, I let them know with honesty and sincerity. When I lost weight before, I looked pretty ok, there was this person (male) who never even gave me the time of day (I worked with him) I would ask a question and he'd look at me as if I was stupid. . . after I lost weight with the phentermine (100 lbs) it was " hey Erykah how are you, you sure look good. . . I just stood up and said to him " You never once spoke to me or acknowledged me when i was fat, do you really expect me to talk to you or even give you the time of day now? Please remove yourself from my view" Of course I was called a B . . ch but considering the source I took it as a compliment. . . I was very cool about it and he was let go for using bad language. . . but yes, I agree with you about that being the most rudest ever!!

ONE of the rudest things anyone said to me was... My mom came with me to my Lap Band prep appointment. The nurse was in the process of taking my weight, blood pressure etc. I was very excited (I'm sure you can all relate). My mom was excited too, but not for me exactly... She said "I finally get my beautiful daughter back!" The nurse looked at me like "Wow!"

Yep, that's my mom. LOL

Hi Marie, I am "thinking mode" It has taken me 1 1/2 years to convince hubbie dear to let me even go to a seminar. . he thinks yes I need to lose weight, but not that way, he thinks I'm going to die. . i did phentermine for over 1 year (I was buying it over the net) but after so long, your body goes funky, stopped and regained all the weight (very heartbreaking) so right now, I have my financing approved for the whole amount, have the seminar set up, am talking to ya'll, and I'm thinking if hubbie says no after the seminar, I'm going to have to tell him "sorry bud, this is for me" and go ahead with it. he has told me many times he will never support me if I do this, but I think if he is coming to seminar, maybe he is reconsidering things. . . wish me luck, seminar is on the 23rd at 6pm. . . I've prayed about it, but sometime God is too busy with more important things then listening to my little requests. . . :biggrin:

Erykah -

I started the process a few years ago. My husband was totally against it. He felt that if I would just walk or exercise I could do it. I knew that it would take more than that. I decided not to do it at that time. We had a health fair at my job and a there was a weight loss center there. I just passed up the table. One day one of the ladies I work with mentioned that she had gotten information from them and had attended the seminar. I decided to give it try again. I attended the seminar (with my DH after I tricked him into going.) I prayed about it and after I kept receiving green lights I knew it was meant to be. I was banded on 12/15/09. I'm still having a few issues but so far I haven't regretted the decision.

- Val

ONE of the rudest things anyone said to me was... My mom came with me to my LAP-BAND® prep appointment. The nurse was in the process of taking my weight, blood pressure etc. I was very excited (I'm sure you can all relate). My mom was excited too, but not for me exactly... She said "I finally get my beautiful daughter back!" The nurse looked at me like "Wow!"

Yep, that's my mom. LOL

Sounds like something my mother would say!!

I've had a few moments over the years... but one really stuck out in my mind and I'm not sure why this particular one? I am a mother to 3 older boys. Right now ages 20, 18 & 15... none of them hefty like me... all nice and muscular and none of the kids in this area give them much guff. However, one day I was downtown doing some shopping after I dropped off my oldest two to get a haircut. I heard 'squealing'... like a pig... 'squealing', then 'Here pig, pig, pig...'. I looked across the street and this KID was there... he was about 15... making fun of me. I finished my shopping and picked up my boys and told them about it. We made it a point to drive by so I could show them who it was... and when he saw who was in the car with me he pedaled his little bicycle off as fast as his little feet would carry him. Haven't heard anymore about it.

:unsure:

... and the one I WASN'T going to share... was my Dad. All my life it was "Lardbutt" or "Butterball" or something-or-other. He was the nicest man, he really was. Everyone... EVERYONE... loved him.

When he got cancer in 1992, he was only 50... he lost his hair. He was so embarrassed, but I never cared? He was always handsome to me. Girls chased him all the time, even when I was a teenager. He was very, very handsome... but when he lost his hair, he thought he was ugly. He was a perfectionist.

He called me out of the blue one day about a month before he died. He was crying. He said to me, "I'm so sorry about all the times I teased you about your weight. I never thought it might be hurting you. You tell anyone who says anything about it that you need someplace to carry a heart as big as yours... and you tell them I said so."

I think when he lost his hair that he maybe put himself in my place once.

But to be truthful... I always thought of the things he said to me to be more loving pet names than to make fun of me? I never felt bad? He could call me whatever he wanted if he were here today... I really wouldn't care. :unsure:

Oh Nebraska - my heart aches for you. I lost my dad at 18 and I agree - he could pretty much say anything to me at this point. But, my dad was always loving and never said anything to me about my weight. I was a chunky kid, bulemic teen (when he died) so my biggest weight came as an adult.

Now, my in-laws, totally different story. Let me see...

Father-in-law is a big guy. Of course, he lost like 80 lbs about 7 years ago but has since gained it back. Of course, when he was "thin", the comments would fly. One time at a family gathering, we were all sitting there and I was minding my own business. My husband's cousin (who is a larger girl) was swinging with the kids and his dad goes "Hey Ginger - why don't we go get on the swings with Kelly. I'm sure they'll break then." Mind you - there were probably 10 or so people sitting there. I was mortified. I just said "well John - I'm glad you pointed ME out in front of everyone."

Hubby's mom made a comment to that effect one time. She was talking about someone and she was like "She's a big girl - sort of like you." Nice.

Then, there is his sister. Ms. Size 2 when she was younger but now too big to wear a bikini but still does. When she was getting married, I was forced to be in her wedding. (By hubby and his parents) She had this friend of hers that was going to be in it and she goes "You remind me of my friend, Alice. She's a big girl, too." Needless to say, Alice ended up not being in the wedding and broke off their friendship. She probably told Alice "You remind me of my SIL. She's a big girl, too."

Of course, I could go on and on about the fat tauntings and teasings. It's the worst ever. I think that even when I do lose weight after the surgery (my consult is on the 20th), I'll still be the "fat girl" inside. I think that this weight has prevented me from getting more money at jobs, getting the better jobs, etc. I truly do believe that.

I don't understand it. It's not acceptable to make fun of anyone based on race, age, sexual orientation, religion, etc. However, fat discrimination is acceptable. It really bothers me.

You couldn't be more right! I once watched this show (can't remember what it was called?) where these guys sent a girl in without make-up and frumpy clothes to different stores where she asked for samples of food or discounts for things and didn't get a thing. Then they dressed her up all sexy and sent her back to the same stores and EVERY SINGLE STORE gave her something for free?!! It was crazy... and it is true. :smile2:

Just hours after my surgery to get my band, I was in my hospital room. An aid walked in to take my blood pressure. We talked about the New Year that was 2 days away. She said "this year you will keep your weight loss resolution and not even have to do any work to make it happen".:thumbup:

I was stunned.....wish I had been more bold and less sedated to remind her that it is not a magic band and still requires a ton of work!

My grandfather said to my husband and I, at the dinner table with a whole lotta family present, "Jack Spratt could eat no fat and his wife could eat no lean" I said, "Thanks Grandpa, you made my day" and my very angry husband and I left.

This is also the guy who pitched a wiffle ball to my three year old son and accidently hit him in the face - this made my son cry..... to which my grandfather says, "Yep, he is a sissy boy and sure to grow up Gay"......My husband came around the corner of the house, picked up our son and said,"You truely are a bastard" and we left the family gathering once again. If it wasn't for my Grandmother and ailing uncle we would never even go over there.

I do have to say that after my husband called him a bastard he has toned it down a lot.

Family...... gotta love 'em.

Just hours after my surgery to get my band, I was in my hospital room. An aid walked in to take my blood pressure. We talked about the New Year that was 2 days away. She said "this year you will keep your weight loss resolution and not even have to do any work to make it happen".:tt1:

I was stunned.....wish I had been more bold and less sedated to remind her that it is not a magic band and still requires a ton of work!

OMG! If the band is considered "no work" then I hate to see what real work to lose weight is!!

I can't count the number of mean things people have said to me, the countless moos or honks from passing cars, disapproving looks while out in public, questions about when I'm due...but I think my favorite recent one had to come from my best girlfriend. We were at a concert and she was telling me about this girl on her roller derby team who was "huge". To further illustrate her point, she goes on to say, "like your size, big". This chic is not tiny-she's a 16, but apparently I'm a moose at an 18/20. Nice. And even though I know she didn't mean anything by it, it's all I can think about when I see her.

OHHHH!!! And I almost forgot---when I was in high school, we were forced to run in our God awful short gym shorts. I also happened to have severe asthma then, and was limited with how fast I could run. So I was walking, and the gym teacher was running with a couple of guys and said to them "and I bet she wonders why she is fat"

Or also in gym class, different year, we were forced to play volleyball. One of the "hot", popular guys obviously didn't want me on his team (and who can blame him? I suck at volleyball) tells his buddies they should tape a "wide load" sticker to my butt as a warning.

And people wondered why I couldn't wait to graduate.

I was at a party with a lot of girlfriends and we were talking about my surgery. One of my girlfriend saids I can tell you lost a lot of weight. But I have always thought you were pretty, I mean your face.