Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Salsa's Summer Surgery!

So as if the whole world did not already know, my surgery is set for July 3 at 7:30AM. I will have to be to the surgery center at 6:30. To the dismay of many around here, this will be an outpatient surgery and is scheduled to last 6 hours. Here is what the doc said yesterday.

1. I will have 2, (possibly 3) incisions. One that runs hip to hip (about 3/4 of the way back on the hip), 1 that runs vertically from groin to breast bone, and then possibly one that is horizontal just underneath the bra line. She won't know until she sees how much puckering there will be at the top. I really don't give a CRAP about scarring. I just want to see my belly button!:sneaky:

2. She has no idea how much muscle repair I will need. She said she wouldn't know until she gets in there.

3. She may or may not move my port. It depends on how much of a fat pad there is between my port and the muscle. If there is not a lot, she will leave it. If there is a fair amount, then she will unstitch the port, remove the fat, and resecure the port to my muscle. Lovely...port pain again! :thumbup: She will not be changing the location of the port and has the complete support of my lap-band surgeon.

4. She will Lipo the mons area and lift as well. This is being thrown in as a bonus. She said she is not going to charge me for the lipoing of the mons area because she didn't originally think I would need it, but now she thinks it would be better. She said it is not enough to justify recalculating the fees.

5. I will be receiving a pain pump that will last for 48 hours. She gave me the option of showing me how to remove it myself (WTH!):rolleyes2: or to move up my post-op and come in on Monday and have her remove it. I opted for the second! I am not a biologist/doctor...that is what I pay them the big bucks for!

6. She is so excited that I am running the half-marathon before surgery because it will cause great circulation and put me in the best shape of my life. She was not concerned about the weightloss because of my muscle tone. She didn't want to see me losing a lot of weight just due to low calories and poor nutrition which can be a problem for healing. But after seeing the muscle tone in my arms and legs she is EXTREMELY confident in my ability to heal quickly.

They took a bunch of pictures and I got my prescriptions for surgery. They are all liquid as this was the only thing that my lap-band surgeon suggested. I did not want to get a pill stuck and be throwing up! So I will just gag from the flavor instead.:tongue2: liquid pain meds and liquid antibiotics. Sounds like a party. I can sit in my recliner like chair with a straw and party umbrella in my medical cocktail and feel like I am sitting on the beach...with my new "bikini body"!:rolleyes2:

And now...what everyone has been waiting for... the pictures...as hideous as they may be! I know a lot of people like to see before and after pictures and I will be posting a lot. There are not a lot of people that have the vertical incision and it has been very difficult for me to find before and afters so I am going to do the best I can to provide this information for other's searching.

Karri:

Thanks for giving us bandster plastic surgery wannabe's so much information. You are very brave!

I'll be thinking of you on 7/3 and look forward to reading about how successfully the surgery went.

I've never heard of outpatient abdominoplasty, but your doctor must know what she's doing. I hope you have a great support system at home for help post surgery.

Take care, and stay healthy!

Thanks again for sharing with us.

Sue

Congratulations!! on your upcoming surgery. You are exactly one month after my surgery. I had a TT, MR, BL, BA, & Lipo done at the same time and was sent home the day of surgery. My surgery was only 4 hours but you should do fine going home the day of surgery. I didn't have the pain pump but had some good liquid pain meds. I was off all pain meds by the third day after surgery but I am taking Motrin right now because of the 20 lb watermelons sitting on my chest. I would suggest a recliner to sleep in for the first few days. I didn't have the option of using a recliner beause my friend who is helping me recover doesn't have one but I really would have loved to have hd one. Good luck on your upcoming surgery. The last few weeks should just fly by. Wishing you no pain!

Salsa, I can't be;ieve it's time already. July seemed so far away. You must be beside yourself with excitement.

Thanks for sharing the before pictures. I bet you are going to have a great result. You have such a tiny little body now with so much loose skin = but no excess fat. Heck - your legs and butt are very slim. Plus, as athletic as you have become, you are in great physical condition. I am sure you will be one of your surgeon's prize "before and afters".

Best of luck on the half marathon. That's such a nice distance. Long enough to feel like you accomplished something very tangible, but short enough so that you do not beat the crap out of your body.

Make sure you pay attention to how it feels and write it down after the race. You'll want to compare it to when you run your next one with your new, fabulous body.

Karri:

Thanks for giving us bandster plastic surgery wannabe's so much information. You are very brave!

I'll be thinking of you on 7/3 and look forward to reading about how successfully the surgery went.

I've never heard of outpatient abdominoplasty, but your doctor must know what she's doing. I hope you have a great support system at home for help post surgery.

Take care, and stay healthy!

Thanks again for sharing with us.

Sue

Yeah my friends at home are a little concerned that I am going to be under anesthesia for so long and then going home the same day. When I questioned the doc about she said that if I lived a long ways away that she would consider it. I am having the surgery done in the neighboring town and my local hospital (at which she has privelidges) is about 2 minutes from my house. My WONDERFUL DH will be here with me and fortunately I have the 4th of July weekend where he won't be working and will be able to stay with me for 3 full days. Plus I think my brother (who took care of me after lap-band surgery) will be coming down the following week.

Congratulations!! on your upcoming surgery. You are exactly one month after my surgery. I had a TT, MR, BL, BA, & Lipo done at the same time and was sent home the day of surgery. My surgery was only 4 hours but you should do fine going home the day of surgery. I didn't have the pain pump but had some good liquid pain meds. I was off all pain meds by the third day after surgery but I am taking Motrin right now because of the 20 lb watermelons sitting on my chest. I would suggest a recliner to sleep in for the first few days. I didn't have the option of using a recliner beause my friend who is helping me recover doesn't have one but I really would have loved to have hd one. Good luck on your upcoming surgery. The last few weeks should just fly by. Wishing you no pain!

I don't have a recliner but I did purchase an "anti-gravity" chair that is an outdoor lounge chair. However it takes almost zero energy to recline it. It has locks to prevent it from moving. It was the only thing that I could afford and that would fit in our VERY tiny apartment. It is very sturdy and I hope that it will do the trick.

Salsa, I can't be;ieve it's time already. July seemed so far away. You must be beside yourself with excitement.

Thanks for sharing the before pictures. I bet you are going to have a great result. You have such a tiny little body now with so much loose skin = but no excess fat. Heck - your legs and butt are very slim. Plus, as athletic as you have become, you are in great physical condition. I am sure you will be one of your surgeon's prize "before and afters".

Best of luck on the half marathon. That's such a nice distance. Long enough to feel like you accomplished something very tangible, but short enough so that you do not beat the crap out of your body.

Make sure you pay attention to how it feels and write it down after the race. You'll want to compare it to when you run your next one with your new, fabulous body.

I am getting very excited...though I have to say that for right now I am more excited about the half-marathon. It is one week from tomorrow. I am of course nervous because I have some tendonitis going on in my left achilles tendon, but I am resting today and tomorrow. Then I am going to take it for a 3 mile spin on Sunday and see how it feels. This will be the first Sunday in months that I haven't run or walked more than 10 miles. I can't wait to not have to wear the heavy duty compression garments when I run after the TT. They cause major chaffing and open sores on my legs when I run for long distances. Also, the tightness makes it a little hard to breath. I know how different my activity level is with all the weight gone... now with the excess skin going to be gone...I can't even imagine what I can do.

Thanks for all the well wishes!

WOO HOO!!! Go Salsa!

Thank you very much for sharing your info and before pics. You are right, most seem to go with the lateral incision only so your procedure is fairly new to most of us. I've no doubt you are going to love the ease of movement and a wonderful flat belly when all is said and done.

soon.... very, very soon!

Good luck with the run tomorrow (Sunday) and I am SO jealous about both the half marathon AND your surgery! I'll just have to live vicariously through you!!!

GOOD LUCK AGAIN!!!!

Salsa,

Good luck! You have done amazing! You darn "yung uns" really rock!

I'm 50+, but I'll get there too!

You are a great inspiration! you go girl!

Salsa, thanks for sharing your details. I know you'll do great and we will be following your story closely.

The anti-gravity chair is a great idea for those who don't have a recliner. I hope you don't have to fight DH for it, lol. Becky

Hi Salsa,

Wow! The date is closing in fast!!!!

You'll do beautifully and will be SO happy that you did this.

Good luck with both the surgery and the big race :redface:!

Karri - I am so excited for you!!! I'm also personally very interested in your results as my tummy looks EXACTLY like yours!!!

Dr. Schulman just posted in his thread recently about the bra line incision to address the muffin top.

Edited by Candle

Salsa,

Your day is coming quick! I'll be thinking of you. Thanks for sharing all the details!

Keep us updated. I am going to do a lower body lift in September but I don't have a date scheduled yet. Best of luck to you (1/2 marathon and surgery)!

Salsa, in case you didn't notice, your surgery is one week from today, lol! I'm starting to send the quick healing vibes your way.

Good luck on the marathon too, Becky