Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low Carb Banders Unite

Bonnie - Great job! You are doing wonderful! Let's keep it goin...

I am excited to report that I am down 4 pounds this week. Last week was a no loss week, so this makes me feel much better! I ate some stuff I shouldn't have yesterday and it dropped me down to only a trace of ketones. Blah! Oh well, back at it today.

congrats to you mamato3! I can only imagine what it feels like to be in ONEderland, but now you are just enough in ONEderland where you can say "I will NEVER be 200 lbs again!" I always say when I am 5lbs or more away from a big number that I will never be 260, 255, 250, and as of this morning I will NEVER be 245 again. THAT feels great!:ohmy:

Hey Everyone :crying:

I am trying to low carb it after a wonder vacation in Europe! We got back last week and after eating ANYTHING I wanted, and all the breads of Germany (all the women are skinny...I don't get it), I am desperate to get back on track.

I need some advice, input, suggestions. I know this may be redundant for those who have been involve in the thread from the beginning. I will work through all the posts this week. My question is this. If I want to really jumpstart this, should I focus on under 20 carbs a day? What about veggies? I know meats, cheeses, fish, are all ok. But what about salads? What are the low carb veggies? Any good fruits? I know strawberries are good. How do you know how many carbs are in some of these foods? Are ALL meats ok?

I really appreciate your input. I did this years ago, and now I can't find my Protien Power book, lol. I've been eating stuff like baked salmon w/ lemon and steamed cauliflower and broccli...and I have no idea how many carbs that is and if I am on track.

My band is at 1cc now. I had some major trouble and so he opened me up a bit (9 PB's in one day...on water...yeah, I was a bit tight). I am planning on gettting a fill in the next few weeks but want to really get a good start w/ low carb first!

Thanks in advance!

MSnika- I don't really use the ketosis sticks anymore but I remember reading on a message board once that you could save money on the sticks buy cutting them the long way so they are more narrow. I know they costs a fair amount.

Thanks Rugman, I guess I'll have to try that for the next bottle! :crying: I did find them for about $6 at Wal-Mart, much cheaper than the pharmacy. So, I don't feel so bad about blowing through that first bottle, but I will definitely try that technique! I could be putting that $6 in my gas tank! :biggrin2:

Kity - hello and welcome! I am by no means an expert at this low carb thing, but I'll try to tell you what has been working for me. I really have only been eating meat (all kinds), cheese, eggs, lower carb veggies (leafy green veggies, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans). There are some pretty tasty low carb salad dressings out there, just check your labels. I usually have a low carb slim fast or Atkins shake once a day. For treats I will occasionally do an atkins bar or sugar free Jello with a bit of real whip cream. drinks - I am not a big Water fan so I guess I end up drinking a few carbs a day. Crystal light, hot tea or ice tea with splenda. I've only been at this a few weeks but I am down 8.5 pounds. It also helps me stay on track when I use thedailyplate to track my carbs. It gives you the carb count on pretty much anything you could imagine! I try to keep my carbs around 20 most days. I hope this helps. Good luck!

ALSO... you all continuing to low carb it after banding for what purpose?

Kammi in Everett, WA

Kami, I low carb as I wait for restriction. It enables me to lose weight while curbing my appetite, and keeping me satisfied with my food selection. I find it easy to enjoy a pizza buffet with my kids as I enjoy a salad and a plate full of pizza of which I only eat the toppings. I would not enjoy it as much if I had to sit hungrily nibbling on a salad with fat-free dressing and only one slice of pizza,

LOL... but remember on the serious side.... once you drop your weight and you drop off of low carb, which is hard to maintain over time.... the weight has a good chance of coming back... if you lose it more slowly with good, healthy carbs... then when it comes off you are more likely to keep it off..... but do whatever makes you happy!

I have low carbed off and on many times over the past several years. So, I know that staying at a strict carb limit for the long haul is not possible for me. I hope that I will have good restriction after my next fill, so that I may eat more of a variety of healty foods like fruit, yogurt, Cereal, Beans, whole grains, etc. And even enjoy an occasional bite or two of a "bad" food. Whenever my "tool" works for me, then I plan to stick to good food choices and the other band rules. But until I am blessed with some type of restriction, it's not a matter of what makes me happy. It's a matter of how I am best able to lose weight. Am I happier eating this way? Not on your life. But it's a necessity for me at this time. Because I am happier watching the numbers on the scale decrease instead of increase. :crying:

Edited by MSnika3

Nika... thanks for your taking the time to explain.... I just got my first fill last week and have a little bit of restriction.. eating about half what I was... so I think I either may ride this out a while and see if it stays with me or I might go back right away and get a small fill to increase restriction. In general , I probably do eat more heavily on the Protein side.... but feel fortunate that good quality carbs in a little higher quantities than allowed on Atkins and such are settling well with me without being totally restricted. Good luck to you on your journey, I look forward to reading more posts and learning more!

Kammi in Everett, WA

I thought I would chime in on the why I am eating low carb question. I guess it is my opinion that this is basically the eating style my surgeon wants me to use anyways. His rules : Protein first, then veggies and if you have any room left some healthy carbs. Almost sounds the same as low carb to me. I usually don't have any room left after protein and veggies. (8cc's in a 9cc realize band)

I am by no means perfect at this. Yesterday I ate some cantaloupe (sp). I have occasional not so low carb foods. But this is working really well for me right now so I am going to stick with it for awhile. I feel good and I am loosing weight. Those are the goals for right now. I'll worry about what comes next when the time comes :crying:

Mamato, You are right, Inamed's diet reccomendations for bandsters closely resembles low carb dieting. That is why I chose low carb. As you all know, I have chosen to add some healthy carbs. This will probably slow my weight loss a little, but I have done strict low carb for long enough that I need to shake things up a bit. I found myself cheating. STRICT low carb is hard to do long term, but I thnk moderate low carb will always be how I eat. BTW, I have gained about 4 pounds while cheating on low carb. Since changing my diet I have lost 2 of those pounds, which puts me 2 above my ticker weight. So....I don't see all of the weight I lost low carbing coming back. If we continue to watch our diets then I don't think that is something you guys should really worry about. Preband, it didn't matter what diet I chose, when I went off I gained the weight back. i think it is different now that we are banded.

I say all that to say this. If low carb is working then keep it up as long as you can!! Once it get too restricting, add some good carbs to shake things up. I fully anticipate that there will be times in my journey that I go back to less than 20carbs/day. Remember, there is no right or wrong way, and everyone is soo different.

whether I am eating healthy carbs or doing strict low carb, I will always be aware of and watch carbs. I will always be a low carber!! Just sometimes more so than others.

Edited by renewedhope
typo

Ditto to Mama and Renewed. Those were definitely the rules of my surgeon. My only problem is having too much room for carbs after the Protein and veggies! :unsure:

Thanks for the suggestions. What are the sticks you all are talking about...6$ at wallyworld? What are they for? I am sorry to be so "needy". I am really trying to do this...Thanks!

HI everyone!

Well I went back for what I thought was going to be my second "fill", but he said that since I lost 6 pounds this month that he didn't want to adjust my band anymore :unsure:

He said an average that they want to see is between 4-8 pounds a month, which I knew that going in and I am super happy that the 6 pounds are gone forever now, but at the same time I wanted to see bigger numbers and felt maybe I could use a little more restriction. I see him again in 4 weeks so I guess we will see. So....

I guess I am not waiting until the end of the week to start my low carbing!

BTW, Kami~ I think I may have read a post that you were questioning about why some of us are low carbing, the way my surgeons group explained for us to eat was that we are to have a Protein a veggie and a fruit on our plate. Eating the protein first then veggie then fruit, hoping that the protein will fill us up faster and keep us full longer rather than eating the carbs. I dont know if that helps...but thats what he reminded me of again today.

mamato~ congrats on the weight loss! I can't wait to be in onderland!!

Well, I guess on a positive note, that after a 3 week plateau, I finally lost a pound on Saturday!!! So I will see how I do with this coming month attempting the low carbing!

Have a wonderful week everyone!! :blink::tt2::tt1::eek::w00t:

I haven't had a chance to get on lately. Haven't been the best low carber and the scale is definately showing it...up about 3-4lbs. Getting back on track though...I lose better on low carb.

B: 2 eggs, 2 tbsp cream cheese & real bacon bits & butter

S: Cheeze Its & Chipolte Peanuts

L: Cheeseburger & peppers/onions fried

S: Cheezits & coffee w/cream & 2 equal

D: steak & salad & Zuccuni...very bad PB...most of it came back up...

S: Caramel & Choco. pudding with real whip cream & walnuts

I did one hour of Water aerobics this morning and cleaned my downstairs...it really needed it and I must admit that I hate it with a passion.

Keep up the great work everyone.

Cindy

I have never used the sticks and I have low carbed off and on since the 1970's. They are sticks that you test your urine to see if you're burning fat.

My dr. has told us from the very beginning 75% Protein, and 25 % veggies and a little bit of fruit. It's how I have always eaten anyway when I dieted, until I "fell off the wagon" which I did very badly over the weekend. I went to a family reunion and ate brownies all day.

But I am back on track today! I have always found I can still lose if I am under 30 carbs per day. some days I do have 30 and some days it's way less.