Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low Carb Banders Unite

Hi Everyone... some of your names look familiar, so I thought I would respond! My husband and I have been eating low carb for about 6 years... fell off a few times, but overall, generally try to watch carbs closely. I do agree that one thing that gets missed is the Fiber intake when you are eating low carb.... fiber is essential... you need both soluable and insoluable fiber for a multitude of health reasons. In my opinion you need 35-40 grams per day of fiber... but I think most doctors recommend 25 at least. The Kashi Go Lean Original Cereal does have 20 net carbs per 1 cup serving, but 10 grams of fiber and 13 grams of Protein as well.... that is almost unheard of with any food you can eat. That is why I start my day off with it.... I am not yet restricted too much... just got 3ccs in my VG band today (first fill) and still don't have too much restriction... but am really trying to eat about 60-70 grams of protein and 35 grams of fiber... that is tough! But tuna or canned meats are way high and spinach is good too... it's about 75-80% fiber.... 2 cups of shredded fresh spinach has about 10 grams of fiber.... eat that with some canned chicken on it and some slivered almonds with some low carb dressing.... and you get a lot of nutrition out of it. Spinach is so good for you and is pretty band friendly, unlike salad.... it chews down very well. Chewing on coconut meat, dried is best... the large unsweetened flakes gives you tons of fiber as well and is so good for you in many ways as well if you can chew it down good enough. Just thought I would share some things.... can't wait to hear more from you and share more as well.

Kammi in Everett, WA

DOB 5/28/08

335/302/180

1st fill: 7/18/08 - 3 ccs in a VG Band - Unsure of restriction

Welcome KamiCola...thanks for the info. I think that I may add Kashi for breakfast...which one do you eat?

Here is the daily dish:

B: 1 fried egg and 4 slices of bacon

L: chicken salad w/celery and Spinach Dip (frozen chopped spinach, sour cream, mayo, Vegetable Soup Mix & Real Bacon Bits) MMMMMM!

S: 24 Almonds and 4 Strawberries with 2 equal packs.

D: Onion Rings, Chili & Bad Girl!!!! Some bites of Brownie Ice Cream Sundae.

I am so friggin full from dinner...definately over did it. TOM came for a visit today and I think that is why I was wanting something bad for me. Well, back on the bandwagon tomorrow...

Happy Low Carbing,

Cindy

Finally got some moderate ketosis going this evening. Whoo hoo! I swear I've used almost the whole bottle of ketostix in a week, just looking for a little sign of color!

Yesterday:

B: 1 sausage patty, 1 egg with cheese

S: chocolate Atkins Shake

L: Grilled Shrimp Caesar Salad

D: Grilled Pork Chop, seven layer salad

Today:

B: 1 sausage patty, 1 egg with cheese

S: cheese string

L: Salmon Caesar Salad

S: almonds, atkins shake

D: 1/2 Salmon Caesar Salad

do agree that one thing that gets missed is the fiber intake when you are eating low carb.... fiber is essential...

This is so true. Fiber is essential. That's exactly why I eat the Kashi cereals too. That and Fiber one cereal have the highest amounts of fiber.

I keep stressing that not enough fiber in our diets is very bad for the colon. It's a tricky balance not to have too many carbs but yet still get enough fiber, but it's really important.

Thanks for the info Kami. I know I need extra fiber. The only time I'm regular is when I eat unhealthy. When I low carb, I may go once every two weeks if I'm lucky. I may try some Kashi and the spinach suggestion. I can eat salads all day, but romaine and iceburg are not too fiber-rich.

I will probably stick to the Miralax for now, until my next fill. If I get some restriction, then I'll start adding back carbs with the cereal. Right now I'm afraid to touch carbs other than from a few veggies, cheese, and eggs. Speaking of cheese, putting that on hold for a while might help get things moving.

MSnika- I don't really use the ketosis sticks anymore but I remember reading on a message board once that you could save money on the sticks buy cutting them the long way so they are more narrow. I know they costs a fair amount.

Hi Everyone,

I was banded three weeks ago and have been low carbing for about six years. Of course, I had a hard time staying with it and made the choice to get the lap band to help keep me on track. So far, I am down 40 pounds and looking forward to losing the rest. I stick to an Atkins way of eating and try to keep my carbs at 20g or less per day. It seems to be working and I feel so much better.

I have a question for everyone:

I have to go to a dinner on Thursday at a Mexican restaurant. Any suggestions for something low carb and lap band friendly???? THANK YOU!!!!

chicken or steak fajita salad is what I used to get when sticking more to the low carb lifestyle with ranch or blue cheese or salsa dressing.... Taco Salad minus the shell works too.... those generally did well... just skip the chips at the beginning....

ALSO... you all continuing to low carb it after banding for what purpose? Just curious... I am losing, even those slower now since my recent fill didn't give me too much restriction.... but I am not really watching my carbs too much... just making sure they are healthy carbs.... I was on low carb, high Protein for years due to diabetes, but now that I am banded, my diabetes went into immediate remission. I know how well you can lose weight on a low carb diet, but I do think you often neglect some of the nutritious foods that your body needs to be balanced for multiple reasons.... so I would love to hear why you are continuing low carb after banding....

Kammi in Everett, WA

Okay, South Beach Phase I ... ready, set, go!

Anyone else using the South Beach food guide?

I wanted to give you info on a flour that I use as well... since flour typically is a no no due to being so high in carbs and also makes breads sticky due to the wheat gluten therefore not being too band friendly... I use coconut flour. It has only like 6 net carbs per 2 tablespoons and often you don't use very much in cooking due to it's high fiber content... I have a great cookbook that uses 100% coconut flour in it's recipes.... although you can substitute it for like 20% of your wheat flour and it brings down the glycemic effect of the wheat flour... the cookbook I have is by Bruce Fife and you can get it off Amazon... it is recommended for low carb diets.... check it out... I am a huge fan of coconut oil and coconut in general as it is so darn healthy for all sorts of things! Great for your skin too!

Nutrition Facts

274-0001

Aloha Nu

Coconut Flour

2 lbs.

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size: 2 Tablespoons (28 g)

Servings Per Container: 32 pixel.gifAmount

Per Serving% Daily

Value*pixel.gifTotal Calories124 pixel.gif Calories From Fat38 pixel.gifTotal Fat 4.2 g6.5% pixel.gif Saturated Fat 3.9 g20% pixel.gif Trans Fat 0 g pixel.gifCholesterol 0 mg0% pixel.gifSodium 56 mg2.3% pixel.gifTotal Carbohydrates 16.6 g5.5% pixel.gif Dietary Fiber 10.5 g42% pixel.gif Sugars 1.9 g pixel.gifplus_box.gif Show Net Carbs

minus_box.gif Net Carbs

Minus Fiber

g

pixel.gifProtein 4.9 g10% pixel.gifpixel.gifpixel.gif*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.This product contains NO TRACES of the following allergens: eggs, fish, milk, peanuts, shrimp, soy, walnut or wheat. 100% pure USDA certified organic. Certified organic by Organic Certifiers. Kosher Certified Rabbi Sholom B. Dubov. Kosher Pareve.Ingredients: Organic Coconut.Recommended Use: See label for recipe. See also the cook book Cooking with Coconut Flour.Certifications:

kosher pixel.gifIf you notice any errors in the information above, please let us know. If you have further questions about this product, please contact Aloha Nu at 719-596-4875

I absolutely hate cooking but I am so bored with my day to day "same ol same ol" so figured I'd try something new!

I was browsing some low carb recipe sites, printed out quite a few recipes and now have a rather large shopping list for today :thumbup: ... anyhow, one of the recipes calls for "almond flour" ... never heard of it, don't even know if they carry it in the "regular" store or if I'd have to go to the health food store.

I'll have to check out that book ... would be interested to see what sort of recipes call for "coconut flour" ... thanks for the tip Kammi (I used to live in Everett ... miss it :teeth_smile:)

LOL... but remember on the serious side.... once you drop your weight and you drop off of low carb, which is hard to maintain over time.... the weight has a good chance of coming back... if you lose it more slowly with good, healthy carbs... then when it comes off you are more likely to keep it off..... but do whatever makes you happy!

Almond flour or meal is good, I buy mine at Trader Joe's.... it's like finely ground almonds... you can make your own by grounding raw almonds in a food processor till as fine as you think you can get them... this prevents you from having to find it to buy it.... just be careful as you mostly can not replace 100% flours with these low carb alternatives... but experiment.... we eat coconut flour pancakes... and they are pretty band friendly and good fiber.... my 5 year old daughter loves them more than life!

Kammi in Everett, WA

PS.. where are you now BlooEyez?

Hi Everyone,

I was banded three weeks ago and have been low carbing for about six years. Of course, I had a hard time staying with it and made the choice to get the lap band to help keep me on track. So far, I am down 40 pounds and looking forward to losing the rest. I stick to an Atkins way of eating and try to keep my carbs at 20g or less per day. It seems to be working and I feel so much better.

I have a question for everyone:

I have to go to a dinner on Thursday at a Mexican restaurant. Any suggestions for something low carb and lap band friendly???? THANK YOU!!!!

Hollins -- I am having dinner at a Mexican restaurant on Wednesday. I'll tell you how it goes. What I plan to have is the fajita taco salad -- (chicken or steak, lettuce, onions, bell peppers, tomatoes, cheese, guacamole, sour cream) minus the shell. My problem is going to be passing up the cheese dip and margaritas. :ohmy:

I am OFFICIALLY down 20 pounds this morning. Finally lost that weird 3 pound gain from last week and then an additional pound. I am so excited and just had to share!