Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low Carb Banders Unite

renewedhope---

I honestly don't mean to push you on your decision. Absolutely do whatever you and your family think is the best thing for you -- but I just want to point something out before you go. If you go to Pub Med at PubMed Home which is the National Institutes of Health medical website containing the abstracts (and sometimes the full paper) for every single medical study that get published in medical journals worldwide you can do your own search on low carb and muscle. Just enter those terms, “low carbohydrate” “muscle”. I have already done it. There have been several studies done testing this question for the past several years. Both single focus studies (just studying low carb) and comparison studies (comparing low carb/high Protein to high carb/low fat) have shown that low carb/high Protein is more effective in preserving muscle with weight loss and/or exercise. I don't mean to second guess your MD but may I ask if he sent you for a BOD POD Test or were you completely immersed under Water to have your FAT MASS weight versus Lean Body weight measured? Those 2 methods are the only 2 accurate measures. Or perhaps he used some calipers on you which is less accurate but still is a pretty good rough guess? I had the Bod Pod test last week. My lean body mass is exactly what it was when I began losing weight 48lbs ago. I make sure that I get at least 60g of protein which is needed to protect my muscle mass. The only time low carb interferes with exercise is when the exercise is very strenuous – then more carbs should be consumed – but it doesn’t need to be a lot of carbs. Again -- I don't mean to upset you but I just felt the need to offer this before you left. Whatever you do, I wish you the very best.

renewed---of course you can still hang out here...low carb or not. I really wish you the best! You really have to do what is best for you and your body! Keep us updated on new food changes.

Hi all again--

I'm just watching the eve new (NBC). They are putting a story on tonight on a major newly released study out today -- saying that low carb is more effective that low fat for losing weight. I just did a news search and found this link in the London Times. I'm sure you'll see it all over the news in the next couple of days.

Low fat diets 'not as effective for weight loss' - Telegraph

Renewed; wishing you the best in any decision you make. It sounds like you are going to be doing South Beach which is a very good low carb plan. It allows you to eat the best carbs. I plan to move in that direction when I get closer to goal. You need to hang out here because we would miss you.

Rugman...you are wealth of knowledge!

Did pretty good today.

B: The insides of a McDonalds Egg cheese & Bacon Bagel

S: 32 oz Water

L: 3 Steak Tips and 1/2 cup of Broccoli

S: 1/2 pickling cuke, Blue cheese Dressing, 24 almonds

D: Enchilada Bake, salad with Bacon Ranch Dressing

S: chocolate Cream Puff

chocolate Cream Puff recipe: Low Carb Examiner - You big cream puff! - Examiner.com

No Water aerobics today...had to work and couldn't squeeze it in. I miss it though.

Have a great night everyone.

Cindy

Renewed - We would miss you way too much! I hope you keep posting here. Afterall... you are the one that got this thread goin, so you get all the credit for bringing us all together!

Things are continuing well for me.... keeping it low carb. No loss last week, but the scale has moved 1.5 pounds so far this week. Trying to be good but I have a ton of stress going on. My hubby is going in for back surgery tomorrow. I'll be so glad when it's done and he can start feeling better!!

Thanks everyone. Hollyberries, you are right. I am not switching to low Protein, low fat. I will still eat high Protein and I will still limit carbs, but I plan to add good fruits, some grains, Kashi Cereal (can't wait to try it). Protein is definately needed to build muscle. Like I said, I do believe in the low carb concept, but since I increased my exercise I have no energy. Now that I found out that I may be burning some muscle, I am convinced that my body needs some carbs. While deciding what to do I have pretty much eaten crap. Really good, huh? The bad carbs I have eaten are not good, but I have t say I have more energy. I didn't realize how drained I was. This is because I need some carbs. Healthy ones. I hope this makes sense.

So I guess it's not really that I am not eating low carb, but that I am adding some carbs to my low carb diet???? Something like South Beach or Sugar Busters.

Thanks for the support!! You guys are the best!!

Bonnie... The scale will move back in the right direction. Just keep on keeping on. A "professional" once told me that it takes 3 to 6 days to see a gain from what you've eaten... Maybe it's from something else? Could be Water.. could be hormones. Keep plugging along! :cool2:

Renewed: I would hate it if you left us, so please stay. I was also going to suggest something like South Beach. It's still "Low Carb" just not like Atkins. I think if you stick to good things like fruit and maybe starchy veggies like sweet potatoes, etc that if you're still exercising you'll be fine. I think it's the processed crap that sends up into crazy cravings and makes it hard to control our decisions about what we put in our mouths. Best of luck. I know you'll do great.

Thanks Skinnie. I am at the opint in this whole journey where my focus is brginning to shift from "how am I going to lose all this weight" to "how am I going to eat and what am I going to feed my family from now on?" There is a different mindset, and both are necessary at different times. I have about 25 pounds to lose before PS and then only 15 to goal, so I am trying to switch to a lifestyle of eating healthy. I will still make Protein my priority and I will eat healthy veggies and fruits. Only whole grains and very little bread.< /p>

If it doesn't work I can always go back to strict low carb. I am really nervous about this decision. I fear cravings and weight gain, but I think, like you said minnie, that if I stick with healthy choices then I will be ok.

I am not going anywhere!! You guys rock!!

Renewed, my style is also a modified lower carb versus a straight low carb. Once in a while, I need more carbs because of activity, stress, female monthly stuff, etc.

I watch my carbs and eat no refined sugars, no bread (the occasional tortilla/wrap is allowed), no cereals... but I include fresh fruit, Greek yogurts, and fresh vegetables. I choose Protein supplements with 0-2 carbs max, I don't eat sweets, and, except as noted for the wraps, eat no starches (potatoes, breads, pastas, etc.).

I also (fairly militantly) watch my fat and calories, making sure that I get vegetable Fiber, plenty of lean Protein, and just a small amount of "good" fats (whether from fish or produce) to balance it all out.

Doing all this, I am losing 4+ lbs per week while feeling great. I try to have less than 40 carbs, but some days I go for more and cycle things around. I have found this to work for me, so I keep doing it.

The long-winded point is that, regardless of what you read or research, you have to do what works for you. I feel very strongly that low carb is great... adapted, as needed, for an individuals needs. If it works, then it works, and that is what you need to focus on.

Good luck with the changes!

Rugman -- you are awesome with your low carb wise self!

Holly -- I haven't posted in a few, but I have printed of a binder full of recipes from the link you posted the other day! Thanks!

Felicia -- Dang girl, you are doing it up! Can I get where you are! 4 lbs a week is amazing! I don't know what the heck I'm doing wrong. My scale will go up and down with no change in eating whatsoever. I don't get it! I keep losing the same few pounds every week!

Renewed -- I would like to echo others and also add that what you are considering also sounds like Weight Watchers core plan. When I was on it, I loved it. It is similar to sugar busters and south beach. You eat from a list of core (healthy foods), limiting your intake to what satisfies your hunger. The list includes leaner meats, cheeses, eggs, whole grains, potatoes, brown rice, fruits, vegetables, etc. It eliminates processed foods, refined sugars, white stuff (flour and junk), and limits fats (w/lean meat and low-fat cheese, skim milk). It also allowed for a certain amount of non-core foods. Of course it was suggested that you don't have them, as they aren't the healthy way of eating, but if you must, they are factored in. I found it very satisfying and plan to eat that way when I get closer to goal and have good restriction. That way, if I have a "treat" every once in a while, I won't overdo it for weeks and undo all my hard work. Which, of course is why I'm low carbing, now!

You have done so well, and are such a great source of information and encouragement. Best of luck in what you decide, and please do stick around. You will always be a low-carb bandster at heart! :)

Edited by MSnika3

Hey MSnika,

I guess it comes down to watching all of it. Calories still count - expend more than you take in and you will lose weight, regardless of the type of diet you prefer. I watch my caloric intake, keep it within my preferences as noted above, and follow my/the band rules.

Track everything, too. It helps you keep an eye on what you are eating.

You can do it!

OK, I watched the info on the new study. I watched it on Good Morning America. They compared Low Carb, Low Fat, and Mediterranean. They followed 322 obese people. They had dieticians assist them. The cafeteria's at their work places prepared "allowed" foods, etc. With all of this support here were the totals....

The average dieter lost the following over 2 YEARS!!

Low Carb - 12 pounds

Mediterranean - 10 pounds

Low Fat - 7 pounds

Low carb won, if there is a winner really. For me, this supports the difficulty America is having with weight management. 12 pounds in 2 years is hardly stellar. I am feeling even more blessed that I have my band to help me with whatever "plan" I am on.

There was a Dr (i think) Tim Johnson on discussing the results. He said that he believes we should do some of all of the "diets".

He said that if we follow the following 5 "rules" we will lose weight and be healthy.

1. Cut down on saturated and transfats (dairy products and marbled meats)

2. Cut down on refined carbs (sugar and desserts) Consume some good carbs)

3. Count calories (It is still calories in vs calories out)

4. Focus on plant foods. (they are lower in calories and high n nutrition)

5. Exercise He really stressed that we have got to get moving.

He said that we should follow a diet that we can do long term.

So my friends....The above is my new plan.... This is what I was thinking that I have just had trouble putting into words. Thank you Mr Johnson for doing it for me.

So its high Protein, low fat, no processed or refined carbs, count calories, eat plant foods and EXERCISE!! Sounds alot like our ancestors ate. I'll call it Eating Back to the basics at Amy's House.

I read about this on the NYTimes.com site this morning.

The problem with the study is that the controlled meals were only once a day, lunch, and it doesn't talk about calories. (I'd like to see exercise, too, but I realize the focus is on types of diets).

All other meals were on their own based on their education in regards to their specific diet type.

2 years and only 10-14 lbs? You can do that on any diet if you modify the calories properly. Did they have different calorie levels? Did everyone have the same?

I am not posting against you, Renewed, just thinking out loud after reading that article.

Did the TV version have more info?

No it didn't felicia. I actually agree with you 100%. The point the man on Good Morning America was making is that these are all commercialized diets. He reccomended these 5 things instead of following any diet. For me, the results showed what a difficult time our culture has with weight management. I didn't see that any group really excelled. if you look at those 5 steps it's really a combination of all 3 eating plans. Even more than that, for me it seems to get back to the basics of being healthy and eating well. I may be going too far with my opinions on this thread. This is a low carb support group. I don't want to bash low carb in any way. Low carb has served me well. I just find the article interesting as I am choosing a new direction in my eating. I am NOT saying that low carb is not ok. We should all do what works and supoprt each other in that!!

if you look at those 5 steps it's really a combination of all 3 eating plans.

Interesting! (Says the TV guy) "Here, let's analyze these and create a stir over 14 lbs, then proceed to remind everyone that you need balance to succeed in the long run."

*shakes head*

Must be nice to be an "expert....."

=) Thanks for sharing!

Edited by FeliciaLevy75