Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello this is my first post. I am 41 and have a BMI of 47. 6'1" and 365Lbs. I have been lookin at this website for awhile but never registered until today. I would love to feel different by losing weight but I am very scared to say the least. Mostly of the operation and more intently on teh feeling of not having control over what they are doing to me. One big problem for me is the breathing tube, I have so many problems when I am awake that I cannot imagine them forcing a tube down my throat, are you knocked out enough to not care? Nothing after the surgery seems to come into mind that freaks me out, just the before and during. How do you overcome these feelings as I know I cant be the only one with them. I see the after pictures and hope I can be that way some day, but how do you control your fears? When you start losing weight can you control the extra skin or does it tighten up with exercise? Has everyone had to have plastic surgery to remove the leftover skin? I hope this doesnt seem too idiotic being that I am 41 years old but when I see the pictures of people that have made it, I actually want to jump on the OP table now but then I come to my senses or fears.

Have you already decided on lapband or are you still doing research? I think it's impossible to totally control those fears of surgery, but you can help minimize their effect by not letting yourself ruminate on every disconcerting circumstance.

Everyone has a different surgery experience, but mine was that after I got onto the table, they put some merciful drug in my IV and I was out. So relaxed just before as well. I don't even remember any breathing tubes, etc. coming near me. If you do go through with this, ask your doctor about the exact process and share your fears so they might be able to make you as comfy as possible.

As for the skin issue, this is also going to vary per individual. Some of the factors are age and how quickly the pounds come off. But, ask most people around here and I think you'll find that they'd much rather have floppy skin and opt for another surgery rather than have the weight.

Good luck and I hope you can get all your questions answered!

Guest Leslie2Lose

You have to stop fixating on your fears and focus instead on the benefits of surgery if LB surgery is what you have decided to do. As for the tube (I've had 2 surgeries since April), I never knew it was there. My throat was a little bit sore afterwards, but they put it in after you are asleep. I had questions about the stretched skin too, but realised I'd rather have extra skin than cutting my life short being morbidly obese. Do your research and try to make an education decision on what you want to do. I personally love my band and feel better and am healthier now than I have been in years.

They will give you something that makes you not care, and you are asleep by the time they put in the breathing tube. They can even give you something before getting you on the table if you are very anxious on the day of surgery.

Also, don't be afraid to discuss these fears with your surgeon and/or the psychologist. (most surgeons require a psych consult) A lot of people are afraid of surgery but it is really very safe.

Good luck with your decision! And feel free to come chat about your fears here -- everyone's been through it to some extent or another.

MY EXACT fears as well...I come here daily and just read and read talk myself into doing it then I start thinking of all the things you listed. I am only a phone call away of scheduling mine because I have been through all the pre-op stuff, my father gets sick and it gets me down once again. But these last few days I have gotten closer and closer to making the phone call and have decided to do it tomorrow. The only fear I have is the damn IV I know people it's prolly no big deal hell I faint at getting blood drawn go figure but I am so tired of being OBESE it's out waying my fears as of now, so tomorrow is the day I will have a date and will be here for LOTS AND LOTS OF SUPPORT so please people help me get through this. I would love to be your buddy to get us where we need to be!!!!

What's the worst that can happen when you get an IV? That you faint? That it stings? -- A small price to pay for a tool that can help you become slim and live the rest of your life comfortable and fully, don't you think?

Here is my advice as a seasoned volunteer platelet donor with over 100 donations to my name: Drink a lot of Water for several days prior to hydrate yourself well, which will make their job as easy as possible. And do warn the phlebotomist if you really think you might pass out.

Yes, the needle will sting a bit, but you can handle it. I don't like needles, either. But the funny thing is, the little finger prick they give to test your blood actually hurts more than the big old needles they use with the platelet machines! No kidding. And yours will probably be much smaller than that.

You CAN do this! Life is short, don't waste any more time. You'll be glad you did this and you'll wish you had done it sooner, judging by what I hear from my banded friends.

Orea

Thanks you Orea!! I really need the push thank you so much can I come to you the day of?!?!?!?!

Ill be your buddy too. Im afraid of needles and faint. I fainted when I gave blood and they said not to come back, I made others quesy when I fainted. I fainted when I had to have my head stitched up, knocked it in a dive on the diving board etc. Always been afraid of needles ever since I can remember. I cant even watch them on tv.

My thinking is .... lets not even LOOK at the needles. Im ok if they dont make me open my eyes.

What's the worst that can happen when you get an IV? That you faint? That it stings? -- A small price to pay for a tool that can help you become slim and live the rest of your life comfortable and fully, don't you think?

Here is my advice as a seasoned volunteer platelet donor with over 100 donations to my name: Drink a lot of Water for several days prior to hydrate yourself well, which will make their job as easy as possible. And do warn the phlebotomist if you really think you might pass out.

Yes, the needle will sting a bit, but you can handle it. I don't like needles, either. But the funny thing is, the little finger prick they give to test your blood actually hurts more than the big old needles they use with the platelet machines! No kidding. And yours will probably be much smaller than that.

You CAN do this! Life is short, don't waste any more time. You'll be glad you did this and you'll wish you had done it sooner, judging by what I hear from my banded friends.

Orea

Also many times if your needle phobic they can do things to help you get through it, when I cam down with MRSA I was hospitalized for 6 weeks! With heavy duty IV therapy. after the first week my veins started protesting the treatments (some of the places took months to go back to normal).

And it got to the point they had to change my Iv's twice a day. They had numerous tricks to handle this because by the second week I would literly cry when the nurse came in with a new IV setup. cause I knew what was gonna happen. And I am NOT needle phobic.

They did all sorts of things from rubbing on a numbing agent, then injecting one and having a second nurse come in and keep me occupied so I wouldnt SEE the other nurse working. And with all the numbing I couldn't feel it either.

This is something you need to talk to your surgeon about.

and the nurses etc. the morning before surgery. They are used to people being needle phobic and will most often times have ways to get you around it. After all its part of their job and no matter how needle phobic you are they have probably seen dozens before you :cursing: