Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do you eat in a Mexican Restaurant?

Tonight is the third time in 3 weeks that I have had either a work or family function in a Mexican Restaurant (oye!) and I am at a loss for what to eat. I have ordered refried Beans, but I can't eat just a plate of beans (I end up scooping them up with chips or something!) and just about everything else I have ordered in the past has had some sort of tortilla on it. I LOVE LOVE LOVE tortilla's but they get stuck so I really hate to even order anything with one because I end up sitting there picking at one and before I know it I am pbing. Should i just put on my big girl panties and order some sort of burrito and just eat the filling (the chicken/onions/peppers etc) or do you have other ideas? Thanks guys!

First off, check the menu online if you can before you go. Most places have the nutritional information. Try Soup if they have it, like albondigas soup. Lean toward corn tortillas instead of flour - they go down easier and don't have as many calories. Enchiladas can sometimes be a half way decent choice. Macayos, which I think is a national chain, has Pollo Espinaca Enchiladas that are only 300 calories. I know, only 300?! But it's pretty low for mexican food.< /p>

The last time I ate at our favorite mexican place I got chicken fajitas and cut it up real good and ate it without the shells. It was delicious and I had a total of 4 meals out of it!!!!! I ate some of the refried Beans that came with it too.

YUM!

Tess

The only time I have gone to a Mexican place since my band I ordered a cheese enchilada. When asked if I wanted an order of enchiladas I said no, I want one enchilada. that is what I got and it was the perfect size. I ate slow with tiny bites and finished about the same time my family finished their monster platters. I was more concerned with eating something that would stay down than the calorie count at that point.

I always get the green chile chicken enchiladas. I have no idea what the calorie count is but I never seem to be able to eat enough of it to do any real damage. I never eat the shell and usually pick out the chicken. I rarely touch the chips & salsa because as much as I love them, the kick to the salsa usually makes me want to drink and obviously that is a no no.

Well..by me being a mexican, it has been real hard not to make tortillas, enchiladas, and all the other mexican dishes that I so much loved to eat and make. I found that by limiting and I mean limiting the portions I eat when it comes to that type of food, hasn't deprived me of eating them at all.

I love to look at the healthy/stay fit magazines. They have wonderful recipes for all types of foods. All you do is omit what you know is not healthy and change it around a little.

Try it!

I go to mexican places all the time. I usually get a taco salad or fajitas or nacho's.. it's usually my 'bad' meal once a week... lol. But you had a good idea about picking the stuff out of a burrito or taco..

We eat at a Mexican restaurant a couple of times a month. I usually order a chicken burito without the tortilla. I think they give me more filling stuff when I order it without the tortilla then when I used to just order it regular and only eat the insides of the burito. It is very yummy and usually makes 3 or 4 meals for me.

The last time I ate at our favorite mexican place I got chicken fajitas and cut it up real good and ate it without the shells. It was delicious and I had a total of 4 meals out of it!!!!! I ate some of the refried Beans that came with it too.

YUM!

Tess

I came on to post that. IF you get the build your own fajitas, get the shrimp, chicken or steak or a combo of them. Then don't eat the tortillas, but as Tess said cut it up really well, and eat it with the guacomole and salsa. Its great, even when you have it left over and cold.

the little place we go serves spinach enchiladas (corn tortilla, which seems to go down nicely when flour insists on a re-appearance...you know?) i asked the proprietor for the nutritional information, cause it's really a "hole in the wall" (you know--where you get the BEST mexican food). she gave me the ingredient list and it was a perfect 6 point WW meal. nice.

I can eat a chile reno, sometimes I get the nacho cheese beef burrito and eat just the inside part, the beef nachos don't bother me either

First I start of with chips and salsa

Then I get more chips and salsa

Then I order nachos

Then I leave really pissed off at myself.

Two days later repeat above.

It is amazing to me that almost everything I eat gets stuck, but those dam chips I can eat by the handful with no problems. Of any food that I wish I had problems with, Mexican would be my first choice because I like it so much, but no those dam things just slide right on down. :sad_smile: