Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Slow loser thinking of gastric bypass

Lately my my port has been bothering me and there is this huge bump that hurts at the largest incision? This is after 2 years. I'm going in for my 2nd annual check-up in July to my lapband doctor and ... well, you all know how it feels to slowly lose..... I'm not looking forward to this appointment, I'll tell you. I haven't been on lapbandtalk.com because I was too ashamed and felt like a failure. A few weeks back I decided that even though I haven't lost as much as I had anticipated to (gaining a bit back ... after I had my total hysterectomy a year ago it seems the gain came after that) I've not given up on trying. I think I would have gained even more if it hadn't been for the lapband. So I guess I'm better off than without it. So there's a quick history of life after being banded I am a slow loser as well and after having a total hysterectomy a year ago (one year after the lap band), I've gained this year (10 pounds). I've lost a total of 55 pounds. Although I keep remembering a statistic that a lapbander's 5-year average is the same as a gastric bypass patient's total weight loss, I still sometimes regret and am still pondering gastric bypass. Which leads to this thread's question ... has anyone had any success of insurance covering a gastric bypass after already covering a lap band? Thanks.

Howdy! I don't have any answers about the insurance covering Gastric Bypass after LapBand. I just wanted to give you some encouragement! 55 lbs is alot of weight to lose!! Celebrate the success you've had to date. If at all possible, avoid judging your progress by someone else's. I know that can be difficult! Please remember that the Band is your tool to weight loss. We need to remember to use it as such. Have you had any fills lately? How much can you eat? If it is a couple of cups, make an appt. to see your dr and have a fill.

It is easy to get down on yourself for your supposed failures, but look at the success you've had!! If It Is To Be, It Is Up To Me!!! You can do it!!!!

Didn't mean to go so long without a reply. That's not like me, just have been under the weather as of late (summer colds are a pain). Anywho, thank you so very much for the reply. I appreciated the keep the chin up and not a comparing weight loss to others ... thanks again. You're doing great.

Gosh, your post touched me.

Tracy, I dealt with all of it. I was where you were. BIG TIME.

The story is too long to recount but trust me, I have been there.

I was "The Worlds Most Remedial Bandster" - I mean really. I knew folks who had the RnY Bypass around the same time, and of course, they seem to lose so quickly. Then I actually had people around me (5 were my CLOSE friends) who gave me so much flack.They meant well but they were like "Errrr.... it's not working, is it?" And those were the nice comments. My body wasn't doing all that it should have do with the band, and no matter what I did I couldn't lose my flabby lower abdomen area. :lol: I was so desolate - I also thought of the RnY Bypass. Luckily, I stuck with the band and I'm glad I did.

It all worked out and three+ years later I can say I had the last laugh.

• I got to goal (slowly but in time, I started losing & losing) and a bit past it.
  • I found out I didn't have a flabby lower abdomen - it was fibroids. My Plastic Surgeon found them. Oy vey! That meant a fibroid removal surgery that was the equivalent of a C-section. OUCH :) Recovery was so slow & long but I now have a smoother mid-section.
  • Of those 5 toughest critics, 4 (yes, 4 of them) are now LapBanded too.
  • I lost as much as some friends who had RnY. It took me longer, but the slower weight loss helped now look (to strangers) as if I've never been heavy.

As they say, living well is the best revenge. (There are pics on the Before and After thread that document my progress.)

Don't give up yet. You've got a great tool, don't beat yourself up. It can happen.

Thank you so very much for your encouraging words (and you look muhv-a-lus, dahlink). I am currently working with a holistic nutritionist to get off all the processed foods that are within my counts (1200 cals, Proteins, etc.) and to go back to basics ... and become healthy. Your quote of "living well is the best revenge" really fits that. Thanks again ... you've helped me to make it through another day.

Hey TracyD... did you ever get the "port" issue worked out?

I remember when I was first banded, I knew there was something wrong with my port. Also, all of a sudden I wasn't losing weight and I could eat alot more. It felt just like how you described...bothering me and sticking out a little. I knew it was supposed to be sewn tightly to the abdominal wall. I kept bugging my dr's about it. They continued to say everything was fine, just external examination.

It kept bothering me and I kept bugging them about it. Finally, they took an x ray of it.

Turns out, my band's tubing had twisted and broken away from the port and was hanging loose inside my body. All of the saline leaked out of the band. They had to replace my port and the tubing and it's been fine ever since. (well, everyone has their ups and downs!) Supposedly this happens to only 4% of banded people, but I just thought I would suggest it as possibly a reason why you weren't losing any longer.

Anyway, I know it's been forever since you posted, but just wanted to give you a suggestion that helped me.

Take care & hope you are well!