Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calling All 12 hour shift people

I work 12 hour shifts and find myself too tired to exercise on those days. Also I have a hard time making good choices on what to eat when I finally get home at 8pm. I am pretty hungry when I get home because it's been 5 hours since I had lunch. I don't always have time at work for a snack in the evening when it would be a normal dinner time.

Anyone else have this challenging schedule or any suggestions on what to eat in the evening? Do you think I should be exercise on my work days?

Tess

I don't know if you have the same opportunity as I do to bring food to work, but this is my typical day:

5:20 - out of bed, drink a sugar-free Red Bull

5:40 - on bike

6:40 - end of ride, time for a shower

7:14 - Drop son off at school and begin commute - Eat a Quaker Oats Breakfast cookie and bottle of Water

8:30 - Arrive at work, with meals in small cooler type lunchbox

8:45 - Eat one yogurt and one sugar free pudding - bottle of Water 30 min after

10:30 - eat Clif bar - water 30 min after

11:50 - lunch - tuna salad and Soup

2:00 - Yogurt and sugar free pudding bottle of water 30 min after

3:30 - Red Bull - time to wake up. :tongue2:

5:00 - Start commute to gym - eat a Clif Bar and drink bottle of water on way

6:00 - arrive at gym

7:30 - leave gym

7:45 - arrive home and have some type of fruit and water...if it is a cheat day I may have a little full-fat, full sugar ice cream...moderation is key - never buy more than a pint at a time, then tell yourself not to finish off the pint that week. :smile:

In bed by 10:00 - non-essential chores get done on weekends.

Great question. I haven't been banded yet, but will be struggling with the same issues. The only difference is I work 12 hour night shifts (7p-7a). Hopefully, I will be working day shift by the end of the summer. I know working nights has contributed to my weight gain, as all I have the energy to do is sleep. I eat on the run and or at bad times.

I can't wait to read the replies you get, as I am also facing this challenge.

Stephanie---Waco, Tx

I too work 12 hour shifts, but I work nights. I work weekends, get my three days in a row and I'm done. Having the same 3 in a row every week helps me a lot. While at work I eat mainly Protein meals/snacks.

I will make a large pot of pinto Beans and eat on them all weekend while at work. I always have bacon at the beginning of my shift. I know these are not low fat foods and the bacon is certainly not healthy. But, as a nurse I work hard and the Protein foods taste good help me feel nourished and stay with me longer than any other foods.

I never go to the gym, I'm just not ready for that yet. I do walk 3-4 times a week. Hubby and I walk the kiddos to the park, it is great family and exercise time. I do not do this on the weekends when I work though. I am too tired to even consider it.

Hope you find what works for you.

This is a hard one....working that many hours alone drags our bodies down then add in hunger it can be a recipie for disaster. Something that I found saves me is having a small snack on the trip home. Something small like a portion of a power bar, some beef Jerky a few small chunks of cheese. Enogh to kill the "I want to gnaw your face off hunger" so that when I walk in the door i'm not overdoing it becuase I just want food. That way I am able to be more objective about what I eat. Then, on long work days I personally don't exercise most of the time, what I do is stretch....I may just lay on the floor and relax stretch and not get crazy others I end up in a full on yoga routine. The stretching helps calm me down and get me back on me/home mode.

Good luck!

Thanks for the input so far!:biggrin2: It is really a challenge somedays!! I wish I had the energy left at the end of the day to do a little exercise, but it just isn't there. I get up at 5:00 as it is and I'm not willing to get up any earlier than that. Wouldn't it be great to have a treadmill that went in the shower!!!:)

I always take a lunch to work, I can't count on getting to the cafeteria on time, and this way I know I planned what I'm going to have and stick to it. Sometimes my DH waits for me to get home and hasn't fed the kids and they want to go out to eat. I can do pretty good with my dining out choices for the most part. But sometimes when I get home, I stare at my fridge and want too eat everything I'm soo hungry!!! I'm going to try the Protein snack on the way home and see if it curbs some of that hunger!!!

Tess

Hi: I figured out using the crock pot and having the food ready really helps. I set the timer and then its all done--I also fix quickie little meals and freeze them and actually put them in the crock on a timer as well. Good luck!

I have enjoyed reading all your posts. I know I didn't originate the question, but your suggestions are very helpful. Will be getting banded on June 30th.

Besides food and soda, my biggest addiction is the home shopping channels. The other day I bought a new pressure cooker. Will have to try making meals and freezing them for those days when I just don't have the energy to cook.

I also work all my days in a row, but mine are during the week. Have gotten lucky enough to not have to do weekend shifts, but I am sure when I go to days, that will not last. Will keep checking back soon for additional posts. Thanks.

I work nights, straight 12 hr shifts and I go work out on my way home from work in the morning. It is HARD, but it had become a routine (until my mother got ill).

For food, I usually have a yogurt in the morning after I work out, before bed. I know, I am eating too close to bed, but I fell like I need a little something. I figure a yogurt isn't bad considering a "little something" used to be a full Breakfast meal at BK or McD's.

I eat light before work, maybe a Carb Control (better Protein than any of the other SF's) Slimfast in a can, or a yogurt with granola or a stop at McD's for a grilled chicken snack wrap. I eat a snack around 2300, maybe cheese and some deli meat, a Protein Drink, something like that. I eat "dinner" between 0200 and 0400, depends on how my night is going. I have a piece of fruit or a SF pudding on my way from work to the gym.

Hope that helps!

Ok, Tess415......I also work 12 hr nights (4 of 'em!). I was having the same problem, and here's what works for me:

If you're getting home at 8PM, plan on eating a little mini-meal (high Protein, little bit of veg) around 4PM. Plan on eating lunch around noon, if that is feasable.

When I first got banded, I'd eat very little during my work nights.....but I'd be raveneous by the time I got home in the AM. I've found that eating a little something every 4 hours or so helps me not to overeat when I do get home.

I work nights (7p-7a) 3 to 4 nights a week. I have found it challenging to get all the Protein needed during my shift since I am usually so busy. All liquids was not as bad as I thought. I took my Magic Bullet with me since I liked my shakes from the doctor better than Slim fast. On liquids I would bring shake stuff with me, sf Jello and pudding. I would also bring cup at hand Campbell's Soup. I would eat every 3 hours. I am about to finish finish mushies and have added bringing refried Beans, mushy chicken or tuna salad. I have trouble getting workouts in on work nights when I am on a stretch but try to talk walks on breaks. Good Luck!

Hi Tess, Hi all,

I too on occasion will work 12hour shifts. Tess if I can ask what do you do and can you eat at work at your desk or whereever?

I have the luck or the unforunate role as a Police Officer, I eat in my car. Not the greatest. That is how I gained all my weight. Eating fast food for 12 hours a day 4 days a week.

Anyway, I now bring food and I try to make time for lunch, we only get 30 minutes for lunch so now I bring food with me.

My breakfast consists of yogart, fast and easy, and since I have a problem eating in the morning so the smooth liquid seems to go down. Then I keep chexmix or some type of Cereal with me, to snack on along with a lot of liquids. I eat a Pasta for lunch or a Soup since I am limited on time. Towards the end of the day I will eat string cheese or the chex mix snack if I have any left.

The cheese seems to really help hold off the cravings, if I don't get it I'm like you ready to ravage the fridge. Then I usually eat too much to fast and PB and feel miserable the rest of the night.

Then for dinner I try to get a pure protien and maybe a veggie in if I have room.

Good luck. Keep up the good work. Think healthy Snacks.

Oh yeah, I don't have the energy or desire to workout either when I get home. So I don't. I get yelled at regularly by my surgeon.

Edited by Ann D

All of you have some really great tips. I will have to write all this down to reference after I am banded on the 30th.

Fortunately this time of year is not too busy for me at work, unless we get a trauma or diabetic pt. The busiest time for me is during the winter and early spring months. So hopefully I will be able to get the eating part down during this slower period.

I guess the good part is, I will be getting banded right before my mday (July 9th), so I will still be in the healing process and won't be able to overdo it, LOL!!!!

...Towards the end of the day I will eat string cheese or the chex mix snack if I have any left.

The cheese seems to really help hold off the cravings, if I don't get it I'm like you ready to ravage the fridge. ...

Oh yes, cheese is a LIFESAVER!

Kraft makes snackable size 1 oz individually wrapped 2% fat Cheddar bars, they are wonderful! I love string cheese, but until I found the Kraft cheddar bars, string cheese was all I could find in lowfat or "lite" cheese.

I also really find that snacking on almonds is very satisfying (if you are at that stage yet in your diets).

Hi Tess, Hi all,

I too on occasion will work 12hour shifts. Tess if I can ask what do you do and can you eat at work at your desk or whereever?

I have the luck or the unforunate role as a Police Officer, I eat in my car. Not the greatest. That is how I gained all my weight. Eating fast food for 12 hours a day 4 days a week.

Anyway, I now bring food and I try to make time for lunch, we only get 30 minutes for lunch so now I bring food with me.

My breakfast consists of yogart, fast and easy, and since I have a problem eating in the morning so the smooth liquid seems to go down. Then I keep chexmix or some type of cereal with me, to snack on along with a lot of liquids. I eat a Pasta for lunch or a Soup since I am limited on time. Towards the end of the day I will eat string cheese or the chex mix snack if I have any left.

The cheese seems to really help hold off the cravings, if I don't get it I'm like you ready to ravage the fridge. Then I usually eat too much to fast and PB and feel miserable the rest of the night.

Then for dinner I try to get a pure protien and maybe a veggie in if I have room.

Good luck. Keep up the good work. Think healthy Snacks.

Oh yeah, I don't have the energy or desire to workout either when I get home. So I don't. I get yelled at regularly by my surgeon.

Hi everyone!!!! Thanks for some really great suggestions! I really appreciate it!!!!

Ann, I am a critical care nurse. So I never get off of the floor for lunch! And I am pretty diligent on having breakfast around 9 or 10, lunch 1 or 2 and I don't usually get another break, but I could eat a small snack around 5. I keep something to drink with me all day except the hour after eating.

I think it's just the environment of not for sure getting relieved for breaks, they get cut short, interrupted and sometimes its just too wild to eat while everyone else is busy and need help. It's the nature of the beast and I don't think it will ever change, so I just go with the flow for the most part.

Tess