Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If you're researching lapband, you should know. . .

. . .about the miracle that it's been in my life.

I had Lapband surgery 4 months ago. Here are some of the things that have happened as a result:

• I have lost 66 pounds.
  • My BMI has dropped over 10 points.
  • My clothing size has gone from a 30/32 to an 18/20.
  • I can cross my legs now.
  • I feel stronger as a person.
  • I am much more confident.
  • I have a different relationship with food. I honestly don't miss the junk food that I was mourning the loss of before I had my surgery. On occasion I will have a little bit of something and then find that it no longer appeals to me like it used to.
  • The post-op diet was hard at times, but nothing I couldn't handle with some planning and lots of reading around here.
  • I eat normally. I have yet to find a food I couldn't eat as long as I'm careful in my chewing.
  • I am rarely hungry.
  • I eat to fuel my body, not because I'm driven to by an insane hunger.
  • I wake up every morning grateful for the blessing that this surgery has been for me.
  • My friends and family have all been supportive. Every last person I have spoken to about my surgery has been positive, supportive and kind.
  • I want to cry when I look at my face in my before pictures. I didn't realize how lost I had become in my body/fat. I am almost giddy when I look at my current pictures because I see hope and happiness there.
  • My family is eating healthier because of my food habit changes.
  • My kids are proud of me.
  • My husband is proud of me and thrilled with the changes in me, both physically and emotionally.
  • I haven't uncovered any secret emotional reasons to why I overate. I'm still doing fine emotionally, in fact, I'm better than I've been in years.
  • I have hope for a very bright future because of the changes that having the Lapband has helped me to achieve.

Now, I still have 77 pounds to go until my goal weight, so I'm certainly not there. But even this much of a change has done so much for me.

Anyone should go into surgery with both eyes open as to what complications you can run into, etc., but I just wanted to put my story out there, because there are some people who don't have complications. Sometimes the band is a perfect solution to why we're overweight and can be a virtually problem-free answer.

I do follow my surgeon's rules and make good food choices most of the time. You do have to learn how to eat the best way for your weight loss, but it is important and you can do it. I do use willpower at times, but it is a hugely different experience with the band than before.

Sometimes I don't post about how easy things have gone for me because I don't want to frustrate those who are struggling and trying hard, only having slower success. I don't want to come across as bragging in any way. But it's not a true picture if you don't get all perspectives, and this is my perspective. Hope it was helpful.

Thank you so much for sharing, I am feeling discouraged on my pre-op diet and that just give me more modivation to keep going on the journy that i have stated. Thank you for sharing.

Thank you so much for sharing. It's wonderful to hear from someone who has had great success and is doing so well! For awhile, it seemed that the only posters on the board were people with problems- totally understandable, but a little bleak for someone just going into surgery. I'll come back to this as inspiration when I'm having a tough day.

I loved your post!!! I come in expecting to find something totally different!!

I often point out to newbies concerned about how many complications they are reading about, that when people are having yet another good day they do not always start threads saying so!!! I am thrilled that you did just that!!!

I too met with success using my band! Do I worry at times about the future? Of course! But I decided even in the worst case scenario, something should happen and I would lose my band---I have a whole new place to begin! I have learned soooo much in regards to how to eat the proper foods, and how eating them really does affect my body, my hunger and my future cravings! I have learned HUGE amounts about portion control!

Would it be hard without the band, heck yeah! BUT---I am armed with knowledge and support I did not have before!

I would also be going into it without over a hundred pounds to lose! It would not be so intimidating!

Furthermore, I have given my body a health break! I have not tortured it with high blood pressure, or high blood sugar or high cholesterol for 2 years and going strong.....every day I treat my body right, I have gained life!

And as you have said, learning to love yourself again is a bonus in and of itself. Not something often referred to when discussing whether to be banded or not!

And the friendships developed here, are invaluable! Just last month 11 of us met in Texas, and had such a good time, we are already planning our next meet up! Never would we have gotten together without being banded, I treasure those friendships! We have all met with varying degrees of success, but I feel confident in saying we would ALL do it again!

I personally want to thank you for bringing such a positive experience to light, and I wish you continued success and happiness.

Long Live our Bands!!

Kat

You know, I feel the same way that you do. I, too, have been banded for a little over four months now. Was banded on 1/31/08 at the University of PA, Phila., PA by Dr. Noel Williams. It's the best decision I have ever made! I have lost 60 pounds to date and have another 40 to go!! It has made so many positive changes in my life and like you, I feel fabulous!!! I only have good things to say about being banded but I do have a question for you? How many fills have you had so far and how big is your band? I've had two and was just wondering how someone else was as far as fills go. Thanks for your time and for your wonderful testimonial!!!

Thanks Ladies for the encouraging posts. I will take all I can get - I hope I hit 60lbs by 4 months!! That would be wonderful. Hey I am just thrilled at 6 weeks my scale has finally left the land of the 300's and is getting further away day by day!!

I know I am not the one you directed your question to regarding band size and fills...but thought I'd toss my answers in. I have the small band---a 9.75 ml, which can hold a max of 4cc.'s. I had 2 fills-totalling 1.75cc.'s, to lose my weight, with the last one being almost 2 years ago. I lost steady--not real fast, but losing! I continued to see my band Dr. and be checked out, weighed in, and followed up, just did not care to be super tight, and refused another fill, until I quit losing.

I had a total unfill a month ago, so I could have my Tummy Tuck done 3 weeks ago. My hunger has not returned, but if I am not very cautious, I can overeat, what I know I should.

All that being said, I have heard nothing but good things about the new larger band, they say it takes longer to get restriction, but it is healthier for your body, and has less complications--all good things!

Kat

What a wonderful story!! I hope once I get insurance approval I can share in your same successes!! I can not wait to start my new journey and I am sooo READY for it. Thanks for the inspiration and I wish you the very best!!

Thank you to Shinyhappy & Kat for sharing and encouraging.

I'm a slow loser with only 43 pounds in nearly six months. I currently have 7cc's in a 10cc band and don't really want to be much tighter at this point. I haven't had any real complications and absolutely LOVE my band as well. I find that as long as I follow the rules, exercise, and get in all my fluids, I do well. So if anyone's researching, this has been one of the best things I've ever done for myself!!

Shiny and Kat....thanks for sharing. Just walked in the door from my last visit with my surgeon b/4 my surgery on the 17th. I was choked up and nervous and thinking "Well, this is it...my life will never be the same again". It was somewhat a negative thought. Reading your posts re-instilled in me the reason I am doing this surgery. I want all those things that you both have experience.

I want my life back. I want the confidence I once had. I want to go all the way and get that TT. Thanks girls for making my day! Sending the love your way

Hi,

I was banded on 2/27/08. I had a question about band size. Why is there such a difference in band sizes (4 cc, 10cc ?). I looked at my doctors notes recently and I believe it said I had a 15 cc band? Have you ever heard of that? Why do some people get a small one and others a large one. I started at 218 and now weigh 188.

Kat - I didn't know they made them that small......... My doctor told me I had the standard size of 10 cc's. Funny how all new terms are introduced into your life when you undergo something like this!