Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Uncomfortable at the gym - anyone else?

Oh my goodness - I have been having SO MUCH FUN at the gym. There's this Water aerobics class every day. I bet the average age of the participants is about 70 (I'm 44). Everyone is soooo... nice and the instructor tells you how to make it work for all levels - knees up higher or lower, go faster or slower, etc... It's your work-out, nobody elses! Go have fun! The old ladies are great - try hanging with them in the water aerobics class. Even if you can't swim, you'll love it. They have grey hair, wrinkles galore, sagging skin and beautiful, welcoming attitudes.

most gyms will have a "free training assessment". talk to one of the trainers (you don't have to sign up), and get an idea of what you should be doing - get a "how to" on some of the equipment your not familiar with.

...and for those times when you feel self conscious; put your ipod/mp3 player on and get lost in your own routine.

good luck & congrats for getting started!!:lol:

Be prepared for a hard sell, though. In my experience those personal trainers can be very insistent.

I've stopped worrying about what the other people are thinking of me and I started watching other people. I go to planet fitness (the judgement free zone) and there really is a difference from other gyms. They are friendly and leave you alone unless you ask for help. Anyway, I watch the eye candy. I happen to live by a college campus so lots of college kids go there and I happen to be that age so I look at the girls who have the body I want and it keeps me going for another minute or 5 or 20. Though if anyone was watching me watch them, they would swear I was a lesbian. And I watch the men well... because it's so damn fun. Good eye candy can be a great distraction. Before you know it, 10 mins have passed by. I bought a MP3 player and made my own workout set of songs that will give me inspiration. I happen to love reggeton latin music (though I don't speak spanish) and fast upbeat songs that make me want to dance. Songs with a good beat are great to walk to. I felt nervous when I first join until I saw a guy walk in who easily weight 400-450+ lbs and not a single person turn to watch, no one stared, or made a comment and I thought if he can do it, so can I.

I starte going to the gym in Aug 07 at 440lbs. I hated it .

But honestly...moost ppl are too busy with themselves to worry about you. KEEP going. No matter what.

I just finished my first ever Triathlon on Sunday because of going to the gym.

i think i can go to the gym if i had a partneer i just go to the local high school track and walk a mile on my off days from work but i rather go to the gym and get a complete work out.

banded 05-05-08

298/ 280/ 272

I've stopped worrying about what the other people are thinking of me and I started watching other people. I go to planet fitness (the judgement free zone) and there really is a difference from other gyms. They are friendly and leave you alone unless you ask for help. Anyway, I watch the eye candy. I happen to live by a college campus so lots of college kids go there and I happen to be that age so I look at the girls who have the body I want and it keeps me going for another minute or 5 or 20. Though if anyone was watching me watch them, they would swear I was a lesbian. And I watch the men well... because it's so damn fun. Good eye candy can be a great distraction. Before you know it, 10 mins have passed by. I bought a MP3 player and made my own workout set of songs that will give me inspiration. I happen to love reggeton latin music (though I don't speak spanish) and fast upbeat songs that make me want to dance. Songs with a good beat are great to walk to. I felt nervous when I first join until I saw a guy walk in who easily weight 400-450+ lbs and not a single person turn to watch, no one stared, or made a comment and I thought if he can do it, so can I.

good girl! keep up the good work i had went to curves but i got tired of the ugly looks as if i was 600+ or something to me its rude i rather for someone to say hello how are you in a friendly voice then i t wouldnt bother me if they stared so hard who knows maybe i am were they use to be go fig ..lol ya never know

Oh my goodness - I have been having SO MUCH FUN at the gym. There's this Water aerobics class every day. I bet the average age of the participants is about 70 (I'm 44). Everyone is soooo... nice and the instructor tells you how to make it work for all levels - knees up higher or lower, go faster or slower, etc... It's your work-out, nobody elses! Go have fun! The old ladies are great - try hanging with them in the water aerobics class. Even if you can't swim, you'll love it. They have grey hair, wrinkles galore, sagging skin and beautiful, welcoming attitudes.

humm sounds like a good idea maybe with the water work outs i can get a "lift "on these arms

No I know what you mean, I definetly prefer the treadmill at home as well but instead of treadmill maybe an excercise bike lol, it's good because my aunt has a crosstrainer and treadmill so I'm thinking of asking if I can borrow it for a while - be handy in the winter months because it's too cold to go out and that way I figure I can watch tv and excercise - still being a bum but an active bum lol

This is so me! And even after reading all the positive posts, I still can't bring myself to go to a gym.

I am waiting for a 24 hr gym to open closer to me. It is a gym that the members get a key card and can go anytime, my plan is to go when no one else is there. I have a very low self esteem, the one time in my life when I did have an exercise regime, I would drive 8 miles out of town to run, so no one would see me.

Besides growing up in a very negative house, my first husband was very degrading to anyone over a size 3, including me. I've heard comments made by him and his buddies, even though i've been divorced from him for 12 yrs and now have been remarried for 5 years (not to mention the 7 yrs of being single in between) I still hear those comments in my head.

I will not even work out in front of my husband. And the whole Curves thing, in my experience, women are meaner than men. I feel more competitive with men, so actually prefer "men" type workouts than aerobics. I am more self conscious around women than men. I am hoping that as I get more into shape, I can break through some of this and be able to workout without hearing degrading comments floating through my head.

I started at curves a couple of years ago. It was OK but it came to a point where I could not get much of a workout anymore. By going a lot faster you are supposed to increase the intensity of the workout, but i was going ridiculously fast and there was just not enough resistance. It was also open very limited hours when I was usually working. I never could understand why the ones I attended would never be open on a Sunday. It was almost like they were open housewife or retirement hours but werent really geared for those working full time plus jobs.

I ended my membership at curves and joined the YMCA about 1 1/2 years ago. I was embarrassed and self conscious at first, until I realized that no one really cared, it was only me and my own thoughts. No one was watching any more than a passing glance that most people have from time to time. There was never a negative moment, people just mostly worked out in there own little sphere of existance. As time went on, I became a regular and now people are always saying hello and see you next week, etc. Now I can do aerobics in the front of the class instead of hiding in the very back corner :0)

Anyways, if I have learned anything at all, it is that most of our worry about what other people are thinking is in our own heads . . . so I let it go and don't worry about it much anymore. Besides, if you are overweight and working to get back in shape, who can begrudge you that???

Way to go, Heather! You are exactly right!

I was lucky enough when I began (in 1983) to join an all-women's gym with excellent trainers. It's very very important to do the exercises correctly or you can never achieve the desired results, and may in fact harm yourself. Once you get the (eight-count) movement and the breathing down, the rest is just making sure your weight amounts are right for you.

This is why I often advise people to start at Curves--with low preset weights for the beginner. My two days a week at Curves now is more for the aerobic benefits and the socialization (And I AM sorry for those of you whose Curves are not fun to go to). My other two days a week at the YMCA are for strength-training.

And, as with our Lap Bands, this is NOT a competition. Your only competitor is yourself and the goals you set.

I swear to all of you that working out, no matter what you do, is the very best thing you will ever do for yourself, both mentally and physically!! :thumbup:

I joined the gym 7 days after my surgery so on 4/30. When I first started going I was really embarassed and felt like everyone was staring at me. I decided a few weeks ago that I could care less if they were staring (they probably arent why would they care what I was doing) I would have to assume now that if they are staring it's because they like what they see now :sad_smile:

My family and I joined the YMCA six weeks ago. We work out together, but can't do as much as other because we are all out of shape. Ive been watching my husband and daughter swim. I finally got sick of it and ordered myself a swim suit. I got up the nerve to go out and get in the pool in front of everyone. It was very hard for me to let others see me in my swim suit. I got up early Sat morning to beat the crowd and I made myself get into the pool. I was so nervous and felt like everyone was watching me. Well five minutes after being in the pool, the lifeguard came over and said we had to get out because they were having swim lessons. I was so pissed because I had checked on line for the pool hours before leaving the house. It had also taken me years to build up to getting out in public and going into the pool. I got dressed and we left. I havent been back yet, but I will somehow work up the nerve to try it again.

scruffy,

have you contemplated something like an aquasize (sp) class at the Y? I was looking into that myself as I'm like you and always felt self conscious in a suit but I thought if I were with other women it might not be as bad and have loved swimming every since I was forced to go through YMCA swimming lessons as a child, lol! Well I loved the pool after the classes.

I think the one I looked into was 3 days a week. I don't know much about it but know my MIL does it every year when they open her pool and loves it. Trust me I've seen these ladies in their suits and there's nothing to be self conscious about! Nanook:smile:

Nanook, Yes they offer Water Aerobics four nights a week. I am working up my nerve to join the class. I read an article that said one hour of water aerobics can burn five hundred calories. I will start soon. Thanks for the encouragement!

I love going to the gym. My personal experience is that men are alot less critical than women. Also, people say nobody is paying attention to anyone but themselves. That isn't true. I love to people watch. I admire good bods, men or women. If some is really overweight, I always think in my head "good for them" because I know it isn't easy to put yourself out there. Everyone should just do their own thing and be comfortable. Ask for help if you don't know how to use a machine. I think it is funny, everyone w/ the MP3 players, nobody makes eye contact, asks for help etc. It will grow on you once you make a habit of it. Have fun. Don't be embarrassed. Just this morning I went to my 1st Pilates class - OMG, I couldn't do ANYTHING they were doing, and I feel like I am in ok shape but my body doesn't contort. I know I stuck out like a sore thumb, but who cares ?:)