Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any teens out there? Hah.

Well, I have a question for all of you.

Like I've mentioned, I'm 17 and ready for this commitment. (5'3", 265, BMI 40+) I'm in the Texas panhandle, and the closest LB surgeon is about 2 hours away. My insurance is BCBS, (which is a pain) and I don't think most surgeons would touch me because I'm right under 18...which I can understand, but come on now. I don't really think that some months make a difference. Thats my opinion on that, and my dad being a doctor himself, agrees. :thumbup:

To be covered by my insurance, I'll probably have to do the 6 month dieting and etc. But I was just wondering if anyone could direct me to a doctor <b>that will consider patients under 18? </b> We're having trouble finding them around here.

I just would like some more peer feedback. :thumbup: Oh, and I would love to hear some success stories!

I would also like to point out that I am absolutely going to get this surgery asap - no ifs, ands, or buts. :thumbup:

Thanks!

Hey! I have BCBS too, and that 6 months sure is a pain! But will you be turning 18 in about 6 months? I'm sure if you wait until right around your 18th birthday and go through all of your insurance hoops in time, they will do it for you. Good luck! You deserve the surgery, even if some doctors don't think you are old enough for it!

I'm 16 years old and I was banded by Dr. Ortiz in Mexico. I'm not sure though if your considering anything out of the US. But i'm very glad I went through with getting the Lap Band there.

I had to wait until I was 18. I wish I could help...

Thanks everyone for speaking up! :wink2:

Janesays: I am NOT looking forward to the 6 months...but, I guess I've gotten this far, and it'll be so worth it! I bet you're excited about it in October/November. Good luck, and I'm sure we'll be seeing each other around here, haha.

Toofattoofight: I wish I could go to Mexico to have it done. If it were my choice I would go in a heartbeat. My dad is being a little...well, overly cautious, if possible. I've heard LB surgeries done in Mexico are very pleasant experiences!

katiebug: Did it bug you to wait until you were 18? I'm going to go crazy if I have to wait, hah! I'm just SO ready for it. And I have read replies of yours in other posts, and you are very helpful. So...you've actually helped me without even knowing!

Thanks again you guys. :lol:

Oh, thanks! My dad suggested LapBand for me when I was 17 & actually weighed enough to have it done but my surgeon, Dr. Cribbins, said I had to wait. My mom then suggested I just try to lose the weight... it works well for awhile but I couldn't lose more than 40lbs by myself. *Wow I ramble* Anyway, the main thing that was so frustrating was after I lost 40lbs, I gained back 20lbs & I was no longer a candidate for surgery. Thankfully I had already talked to my surgeon & he remembered & fudged the numbers so I wouldn't have to gain too much back.

/rant haha

Actually, I do know of a surgeon who will operate on under 18. In fact, I believe there are only 3 hospitals in the U.S. that operate on children under 18 because lap band has not been FDA approved in that age group. I actually had mine done at Arkansas Childrens Hospital with Dr. Evan Kokoska. He is leaving, but there is a new surgeon stepping in at the end of the month. I went through the Fitness Clinic, and I am working there now. They are part of a study to do the surgery on 14-17 year olds, but unfortunately you do have to do the 6 month being monitored by a physician. However, this is the BEST place in the world to have your surgery. They are so accessible and every time I ever have a question I get a response in 10 minutes max, plus they are very supportive which you just need sometimes!! They did my surgery in August and I have lost about 65 pounds. Hope this helps!!

This helps me SO much, thank you! Arkansas isn't TOO far away, and I'm sure I can talk to my dad about it as one of the options. So far it just feels like a wild goose chase and I'm getting sooo impatient already. :)

I'll definitely look into it. Thanks again!

The surgery center I had my band done at works on ppl under 18. Down side is that I'm in Washington State...but if you dad didn't feel comfortable about traveling to Mexico, he might feel better about cross country. I was banded at Northwest Weight Loss Surgery in Everett WA. You should google them and check out their website. Good Luck!