Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have you ever been told to avoid sugar free items?

I went to a class called the ABCs of lap band. The nurse said not only to avoid sugared items but also sugar free items. She said that your body still releases insulin from eating sugar free items because they are sweet and this will cause you to feel hungrier. Have any of you post bandsters ever heard of that? How can you eat and avoid all sugar free stuff? I posted this under food and nutrition and only got 2 responses so I am trying it here. Thanks to all who can help me.:lol:

My doc says that I SHOULD eat sugarfree items. I have no problem with them making me hungry either.

I've never heard of such a thing to be truthful.

I guess if they told you to aviod sugarfree and stuff with sugar buy things with low amounts?

Guest Leslie2Lose

I try to follow balanced diet - making sure I get in my Proteins, fruit/veggies, dairy - first. I found if I did all sugar free, low calorie foods I was only eating 600-800 calories a day. When I ate like that I had no energy and felt like crap all the time. I increased my palate to 1000-1200 and try to eat low-sugar foods. I don't overanalayize everything I eat, but do log it on thedailyplate.com so I am accountable. I try to eat the foods I like in moderation and haven't done "without" anything. Moderation is the key for me.

There is a theory that artificial sweeteners can mess with your metabolism if used in large quantities. It's going to be hard to avoid both sugar and sweeteners though. Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you find that you are hungry after eating something w/ "Fake sugar" cut back on foods with them.

I was told to avoid SF stuff, too. They recommended that if we wanted something sweet once in awhile, to just have one or two bites of normal dessert instead of artificial "diet" food.

I still use artificial sweetener in some of my drinks, but I'm trying to keep it to a minimum. I have not found that they make me hungrier, but I do worry about the chemicals. e.g. Crystal Light

There is a school of thought that says if you just replace your full sugar items with artificially sweetened items, you aren't making a real life style change.

I too worry about the chemicals.

If I want 158 grams of blackberries (close to a cup) and they are too tart, I put one teaspoon of sugar on them. Most of the sugar ends up on the bottom of the bowl and isn't eaten.

It's remarkable how little sweetened stuff I eat anymore, whether sweetened with sugar or chemicals.

I personally have been using "Stevia" which I got from Trader Joe's.

I was told “low–sugar” or “sugar–free” products can make it difficult to lose weight because of constantly high insulin levels, which causes the body to store excess carbs as fat. According to the information I read one thing is certain: some of the chemicals that comprise artificial sweeteners are known hazards — the degree to which you experience side effects just depends on your individual biochemistry. Manufacturers are banking on the fact that our bodies won’t absorb very much of these compounds at any one time. And many of us don’t.

For more info take a look at this article:

http://www.womentowomen.com/nutritionandweightloss/splenda.aspx

I agree, Stevia is the best and only all natural, sugar free sweetener out there. I do agree with the nurse that artificial sweeteners make cravings worse.

In fact I am having a real tough time because I am doing my post-op diet and I have to have shakes with Splenda, Sucralose (splenda) or Nutrasweet. I can feel a difference, I have numbness in my arms, my brain is foggy and the list goes on and on..... splenda has some nasty side effects in those that are sensitive to it. Just search on "side effects of splenda" on line.

I have been using Stevia or very little natural sugars.

Overseas and in Japan especially they use mostly Stevia, diet coke and pepsi are made with it along with many other items.

Here in the US the FDA will not approve it so it cannot be used in processed "sugar free" food it is still in the same class as Vitamins and other health foods.

That is all about to change soon, I hear that Coke is pushing to get it passed and will soon be marketing diet coke with Splenda.

In fact I am going to the health food store tomorrow to see if there are any alternatives or I am going to find out if I can do low carb......

A little something with regular sugar is better in my opinion than alot of something with Splenda.....I know I didn't get obese by eating just one bite to satisfy my cravings......Stevia helps

Its only theory at this stage, there's no real proof.

They just dont get that scientific down here in Australia. They say eat Protein (meat, dairy, legumes, pulses), complex carbs, lots of vegetables, moderate fruit and avoid simple carbs (sugary, white carbs), eat 3 meals a day and nothing in between, dont drink calories.

Simple and it works.

I avoid aritificially sweetened things becuase I hate the taste and I believe it encourages people to eat way too much of those sorts of foods and not change their tastes.

sugar free pudding for example - what kind of utter crap is that to be putting in your body after you've just had surgery to change your health for life? Have somehome made vegetable Soup instead! Learn to love good organic greek yogurt not that fruit flavoured sweetened rubbish in the supermarket, just give up sugar in your coffee and tea (that is EASY to do, takes 2 weeks max). Sorry for the rant!

If I really want something sweet, I have it and I just have the sugar.

Avoiding artificial sweetners is good advice. I wish my nutritionist was more alert to that fact. Aspartame, Splenda and other artificial ingredients including Sucralose have many dangerous side effects, are toxic to the body and at the very least not conducive to losing weight. Finding a Protein Drink that is tolerable is very difficult without these ingredients. using small amounts of natural sweetners such as stevia, cane sugar or maple Syrup. A good book to start with learning about sugars and their effect on your body is "Skinny Bitch" by Rory Freedman & Kim Barnouin. If you can get through the gimmicky writing style, there's lot's of good info.

I am in nursing school and we were taught that sugar free and artifically fat free foods are horrible for the body. Basically the body dosen't know what to do with the stuff and converts it to fat.

Wow!:lol: Some very interesting information. I will check into the Stevia. I have heard of it but know nothing about it. I am having a hard time thinking I have to give up the Crystal Light. I did give up carbonated drinks. I don't think I eat that much artificial sweetener but I do drink a lot of Crystal Light. Do you all just drink lots of Water or what do you drink? I can't do coffee or tea without sweetner but I hardly drink coffee anyway. I do drink some diet tea. If anyone has any suggestions for what to drink I'd like to hear them. Thank you to all of you for this great information. I know I can always count on you for the answers to my questions. As I've said before, I love this forum. :smile2:

I drink Water and coffee pretty much - I gave up sugar in coffee and tea at about 18 and really, it tastes awful at first but it takes 2 weeks and you'll be used to it.

but if you only have the occasional coffee, I'd just have the sugar.

I tried stevia once and it seemed horribly bitter. I thought it was because I let the tea get cold. I would rather just do without.

Guest Leslie2Lose

I was a huge "Diet Dr. Pepper" A-Holic! I loved the stuff. I drank WAY WAY WAY too much before my band - and have converted to mostly Water. I have to have ice water - the luke warm stuff is like drinking bathtub water - yuck! I do have cyrstal light - I usually only have one packet (the kind that goes into a 16 oz bottle of water) a day. I drink low-fat milk at night (Usually about a cup). I don't and can't do coffee - the stuff is awful! Same thing with Sweet Tea - yes I am a southern gal, and yes I hate sweet tea...go figure! I don't like it unsweetened either. The only caffine I had to give up was the diet drinks - but I can say I don't miss them as much as I thought I would.

Edited by Leslie2Lose