Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is it mental???

I am 9 days (YEAH:thumbup:) away from my surgery and I wanted to see if anyone else is having this issue. I am not having to do a pre-surgery diet (just liquids the day before). So, of course being the food addict I am, I just have been making lists of what I want to eat before the surgery. And here's where my questions comes in. I obviously could eat large portions at a time. Now, even though I am not going crazy with food, I get full REALLY quickly. Is my head starting to mentally prepare itself ahead of time? It's been happening for the past week now. And if I keep trying to eat, I feel so sick. Just wondering if anyone else is going through this?:(

I think it is partly mental, but I think it's a good thing. I don't start my liquid diet until June 10th, but I've already decided that I'm having a SlimFast every day for lunch to get prepared. I've also noticed that there are things that I just don't want to eat that I loved eating before, and that my portions are smaller. I think my brain is helping me cope with the changes that I have been working on for 6 months to prepare for this.

I really expected my brain to start sabotaging me at this point instead of seeming to help me. If I'm mental, so be it! I'm glad to see that someone else is feeling it too.

Remember that you have also been doing physical things to prepare for this day too!

Maria, My surgery date is also June 9th and I've been kind of experiencing the same thing. I don't have to do any special pre diet and I've been eating all of those favorite foods one last time. Not over doing it though

I look at it this way. The more changes that I make before I have the banding the easier it will be to follow the rules after the banding. I have been reading the menus at our favorite restruants so that after I get the band I know where to go and still enjoy eating with my family. I think that will make it easier to still eat out and know I have options.

That's a great way to look at it, Mom2Twins! My husband has actually had a bad cold this week so we've just been home and I've been making normal things. I've even started drinking Slim Fasts for meals. I went out and bought a bunch of Protein drink items for after surgery. Atkins shakes, Carnation sugar free Protein mixes, and some chocolate shake mix at GNC that actually tastes just like a YooHoo. They had a sample of it which was great to try at the store before I bought it. I've also been thinking about post surgery items to eat when I'm out. I figured I could always order a cup of Soup or some type of salad plate (tuna, chicken, egg, etc.) for later on. I think I'm past the desire of eating everything I can to just wanting to get this done. I even got lunch at McDonald's today and ate a few fries and chucked the rest out. I should have picked something better as a side to begin with.

So far, the only thing I can really think of eating pre-surgery are Bagels. I have a feeling those will never go down so they'll be gone for ever. I'm ok with that! : )

Hi gardengrl,

Well this is what my surgeon says about that: He said he sometimes has patients that, while they start out not really having a fatty liver (which makes surgery more difficult, and can even cause them to have to reschedule for full open surgery), that some patients try to eat everything they think they will be missing after their surgery, so they have a bunch of "last suppers", then they GET a fatty liver! So if you can hold back now, that's good! :eek:

My surgery is scheduled for June 9th too. I am also not required to have a pre-op diet. However, I've been doing my own kind of diet just so that it's not so hard after surgery. Generally, I've been having a Protein shake for Breakfast & lunch, and Protein and veggies for dinner. That said, there have been a few times that I"ve slipped up. I ate 2 eggs and some cottage cheese this morning just because I needed something to chew so badly.

I also had a very emotionally charged night a couple of night ago. I went to Sonic and ordered the chicken club sandwich, lg onion rings, & chocolate shake. I did eat the sandwich (didn't enjoy it at all). I ate 2 onion rings (felt sick), & not even 1/4th of the milk shake (did not taste good). I hope that this is an indication that my mind is mentally preparing me because a few weeks ago, this would have been a great meal for me...as in tastes really good.

Good for you, Carrie! And thank you, Little Debbie. That is a great explanation. I am now PRAYING I didn't mess anything up. But, I really have been a lot better than when I started the post. Last night was salmon, tomatoes and some fresh mozzarella. Today Slim Fast shakes, and then for dinner I made steak (since I don't know if I'll be able to tolerate it ever again and I do love Skirt Steak), fresh tomatoes and some salad. Knowing now what your dr. said makes me really realize all that "last yummy food" mentality is not worth it if my surgery doesn't go well. That's my #1 priority. Ok, I'm my #1 priority, but it's #2.

I am 9 days (YEAH:thumbup:) away from my surgery and I wanted to see if anyone else is having this issue. I am not having to do a pre-surgery diet (just liquids the day before). So, of course being the food addict I am, I just have been making lists of what I want to eat before the surgery. And here's where my questions comes in. I obviously could eat large portions at a time. Now, even though I am not going crazy with food, I get full REALLY quickly. Is my head starting to mentally prepare itself ahead of time? It's been happening for the past week now. And if I keep trying to eat, I feel so sick. Just wondering if anyone else is going through this?:angry:

I just found out that my surgery is the 10th. I jumped at this quickly scheduled date (after months of tests and waiting for that final insurance approval) because I was/am fearful that I would be scheduling many "last meals". However, I have not had an appetite now for the past few days. Maybe its just a realization that we'd just be adding to the weight loss work that we'll be faced with for the rest of our lives as a result of getting this tool. So, yes, I am going through this too.

Best wishes on your surgery! My turn in the next day!!! :smile:

-Trishadish

I guess a lot of us are in the same boat - uh, yeh, that's what lbt.com is all about! Okay, so no pre-op diet here either. Yes, the portion sizes are getting smaller, drinking more liquid food all the while wrapping my brain around this concept, and I am completely bored with food. So, instead of thinking about food....and all the decisions I have to make for my life to revolve around it....I got a mani/pedi yesterday, I am getting a full body massage tomorrow (plus it's the last day of school and that alone is cause to celebrate). Then Friday night, I am going to Taste of Texas for a steak dinner. Monday is a well-woman exam, Tuesday is psycho-therapy (because my brain short-circuits everytime I think about having to put myself on a bed so they can operate and I have never ever done this before), and Wednesday - WLS!!!!!!

Life as we know it....has a new way of living!!