Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Jumped Hoops to be turned away.

I would like someones input here. I started my journey Feb. 2nd 08. Did nutritionist,physc, support groups, seminar, cardio, endoscopy,manometry and passed all until endo they found moderate hiatal hernia, manometry low pressure in les musclle then last friday the 25th I got a call from surgeons nurse at 1:pm no surgery either bypass or band. That same day at 5:30 a call from my gastro. He said on message machine, things look good on your manometry a bit hypertensive but your not symptomatic, it looks like no interference with surgery were his words, Im going to take your test home and I will give you a call Tues. Well its now Sat. and I called his nurse and she said he took your files and you will be getting a call Mon or Tues of next week , note we are now in June.

I pulled my files from 1st surgeon where he could'nt tell me why he would not operate. Made an appt. with new surgeon , he will see me Friday June 6th. The new surgeon excels in gall bladder and banding.

My question is: If I want this band and the new surgeon is willing to band me, should I keep this gastro for any problems down the road.? And if they have doubts about my low pressure and hernia NOT go through with the banding or ask if there is any other alternative , the weight must come off.

One person in the chat room, said first surgeon may not want to take on the liability if esophagus is in trouble. Please give me your input . :(

Edited by Tweety/Pat

How unbelievably frustrating! Four months of work to go down the drain. I can't imagine how you feel.:thumbup: But please proceed with a lot of caution. You want this procedure to work, not to give you a life of discomfort or, worse, no life at all. Find out why you were rejected by the surgeon and do research on how dangerous the reason is. Don’t find a surgeon who will do it “for the money” after getting you to sign a bunch of disclaimers. Yes, a delay is frustrating but making sure the surgery is right for you is extremely important. Please hang in there! :(

I agree I would push to find out why exactly the first one refused. Especially since its a pretty common thing for them to fix a hiatal hernia durring or before or after the band surgery.

I would also discuss it with the second surgeon just to make sure all your bases are covered. It's possible if the first one won't tell you why he refused he might tell the second surgeon. Or a reason might be stated in your records?

You never know and it certainly won't hurt to ask.

As for keeping the gastro?

If he/she is in your corner could be a good resource for you. Sort of like a 3rd opion of sorts. If your concerned that he didn't call you back after the weekend of taking your files home. Call his office and ask about it. Could be a case of since there was nothing else wrong he didn't think to get back to you.

I know I often get *We will call with your results* replies from my doctors who after waiting a week or two I will call them and they usually say "Oh nothing found wrong in the tests so we didn't call". And it's one of those "duh" moments where you wanna reach though the phone and smack em for telling you they'd call and then leaving you hanging over it.

But I certainly would press the first doc for why he wouldn't do it.