Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone been told about whether Splenda sugar substitute is OK to use???

I am not banded yet and have switched to it..Its expensive but you can cook with it, sprinkle in foods, and use in coffee. I love it.

I use spenda for lots of things. But never in coffee! (I"m a coffee snob)

Capt'n Jack likes stevia, but I haven't tried it yet. (I just found it in the health food section)

Splenda is not so good, it spikes the blood sugar and is not natural. Try Stevia it's all natural and not bad for you.

I use Splenda in my coffee and love it. No after taste. I gave up Diet Coke, but I won't give up my coffee. Gotta have the AM boost. I buy a huge can of regular and a huge can of Decaf then mix the two together to get half the caffeine, after all ya gotta have a little to get ya going.

Hi Hopeful!

several months ago I heard about Splenda being a bad thing, so I did a little seach on the internet about it. From my search, I copied & pasted an article on LBT that was the easiest for me to understand. Ill try & locate it for you & copy the link. There was some question on the arthur of the article, but basically everything I read via internet gave the same info.

http://lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=3036&page=1&pp=15.

Also, i want to add.. my mom used tons of Splenda. She was having so much pain - thinking it was arthritis - horrible joint pains when she would stand up & start walking, feeling so bad all of the time. She ran out of Splenda & went w/o it for a couple of days... guess what??? She felt like a different person - all the aches were much better. So she tested herself. Consumed more splenda... pain.

SO? No splenda, no pain!

True story!!!

Canned coffee? ?? (not so much mock horror Pat...) I believe canned coffee is illegal in Seattle... I grind fresh Beans every morning :) A friend mails me fresh Starbucks every month... I AM A COFFEE SNOB! :D

And never, ever spenda in the coffee!

I weaned myself from any sweetners in coffee several years ago, a little milk only, but I can't seem to do the same for tea. What is the deal w/Stevia? There's a healthfood store right where I work. Do they all carry it? Is it a sugar that you're only supposed to use a tiny bit of?

Can't have Splenda at all...I wrote in another post about not having IBS anymore. Splenda makes me have the same symptoms that I had with IBS. If I have Splenda......even if it is in one small item (Russel stover low carb stuff for ex) I am in the bathroom all night. I can't imagine having that symptom that Splenda can be a good substitute. Sorry for the TMI

I asked my chemistry teacher about splenda recently and he said he actually had done some research on it and found it to be not bad. He said even the research groups that are the most intense about keeping dangerous foods off our grocery store shelves think its okay. It is derived from real sugar but they remove 3 particular atoms and replace it with Cl atoms if I remember correctly. Don't totally quote me on that. I am a coffee snob too but only get my drinks from the corner stands. I use the sugar free syrups and have gotten to like them a lot. Its odd that it causes such sypmtoms of pain and IBS type symptoms.