Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm here to help...

Hi Guys,

I have great news i just found out I got the promotion that I was going for yeah! Then we were talking salary and I got what I asked for double Yeah!! Then today I found out I am going to Los Angeles with 5 other people from work for a week triple Yeah !!! I am so excited I had to share. So anyone leave near LAX Maybe we can meet up?

Hope everyone else is doing well.

Apples and Arlene, my DH and his son (my step-son) were in Iraq at the same time...12-03 to 3-05... DH with the National Guard and son with regular army.... It was a very difficult time... I poured myself into the Family Support Group.... I honestly believe it was easier for the wives to bond together than the parents.. We wives were able to do just what we do here... We had the same things.... Whereas the parents had different circumstances to deal with... girlfriends who got called first and etc... I always felt bad for the parents... Of course I didn't hear any news about the step son.. He called his wife in Germany and she didn't speak to me.. DH and son got to see each other twice while in Iraq.... But as for me................... I lost weight while he was gone...over 100 pounds.... Was my last big weight loss that I mostly gained back after he got home.... I was home alone and didn't cook and emersed myself in the support group.... It was a time in my life I never want to go back to... DH would go again if he could..... He is a soldier through and through... Started his career in Viet Nam and ended it 38 years later in Iraq......... That's why I have such troublesome insurance.... TriCare.........military insurance... They are fussy and don't always pay well... But it's free to us..... So can't complain too much... Arlene, so sorry your son has suffered from his experiences... Funny thing about my DH is that the terrible things that happened to him when he was young and in Viet Nam and after he came back were actually healed during and after Iraq.... He even actually lost a piece of shrapnel from his chest while in Iraq that had been in his body since Viet Nam.... symbolic but very meaningful and unbelievable almost..... We are so lucky to have men and women that can give themselves to their country like my DH and your sons have done.... Now DH's son is different... It was a job to him and he is glad it's over.. Didn't have it in his heart like his dad...... He was in Virginia on 9/11 when the terrorists hit the twin towers and the pentagon.. He was deployed there to DC to dig out dead bodies from the rubble.. Another terrible time...

Anyway, that's the reason I still have clothes in my closet from a few years ago... I was at this weight before and just need to get past this now and move into new territory...

Goodnight friends... sleep well......... Julie

Julie...as I was typing that post this afternoon I was thinking of you and what you had gone through with having DH and DSS over there at one time. As you know, they can come home and take a lot away from the experience also....like your DH.

Melissa....WOOHOO!!!!

Hi Guys,

I have great news i just found out I got the promotion that I was going for yeah! Then we were talking salary and I got what I asked for double Yeah!! Then today I found out I am going to Los Angeles with 5 other people from work for a week triple Yeah !!! I am so excited I had to share. So anyone leave near LAX Maybe we can meet up?

Melissa -Congratulation !!!!! WTG !!!!

I am the only full time California Girl - Phyl is a part-timer and LAX is like 3 hrs away from us and since I'm a working girl like you - doubt that our schedules will coincide ... But I get to meet you in a few weeks anyway :0)

Well came home - my little angel has had the runs for 3-4 days so took her to vet - shot - 2 med for runs - 1 for ears and blood test - Guess how much ???

Then on top of that - trying to get this liquid meds down - omw - got the diarrhea med down - but the antibiotic are suppose to be w/food so put it in her food but she hasn't eat it.. Another challenge and I have to do it twice a day - morning and night...

Animals cost more than humans - but she's my baby what can I do..

Well that's about it I am still in my work clothes.. Just ate some Protein chips 10 grms pt 140 cal - pretty good Harley Pasternak's 5 factor chips - got them from qvc (of course ;0)

That's about it for my night so far - need to get out of these clothes and start dinner...

cbl

Meredith, so sorry for your pal and her mother. I hope her father or some other relative is not a suspect. What the heck was she doing with $2000 in the car in her purse?

It really sounds like she was meeting someone. I'm sure the police are considering everything.

Sounds good on your house. Can't believe you've already got a paint scheme. I usually have to live in a house for a while before I get any sense of what I want. I tend to decorate more with framed art posters and a few good paintings I've splurged on here and there.

Jewel, belts are a great idea. Keeps those pants wearable longer so you don't have to buy so many clothes. Also, my new shape seems to require a belt or things slide down my thinner hips and thighs because as a typical middle aged woman I don't curve in as much at the waist so things want to slide down. You're doing great; I struggled during that time before the first fill, too. Chocalate Protein drinks really helped me.

Jodi, my psych consult was trying to figure out why I was there and when she figured out it was just a requirement for lapband surgery, she said send her the paperwork and she'd sign it and wouldn't waste either of our times.

Eva, I love Chuck, especially. I wish it came on more often. I was really afraid they were going to cancel it. I love so many of Chuck's values, his ineptitude combined with heroism. Somehow I totally relate.

Singing chef that does interior decorating. Love it. I am a singing teacher that writes children's stories. For now.

Apples, this is a comment I read on this quote and it is so true.

"Don't make someone a priority in your life when you are only an option in theirs". Quote

Comment I read online:

This is one of my favorite quotes. Take a good look at the people in your life…family, friends, co-workers, significant others, etc. Stop making excuses for poor behavior, don’t accept less than what you deserve, and weed out the ones who only care about their own needs being met. As my friend Patricia says, “A relationship should complement, not complicate.” What a difference it makes when you’re surrounded by only those who bring out the best in you. How sad that I am now all alone…HA!

Apples, don't you think relationships contribute so much to our our recovery?

Love the quote and the comment. It's part of the reason I have so few friends. It's why I don't do Alanon or church Bible study groups much anymore. I want friends to laugh with and have fun with and I like listening to people's problems as long as they don't take themselves too seriously and make their woes the topic of every conversation. But very few people are healthy enough for non-dependant intimacy. I like a good rant once in a while if you don't take yourself too seriously and do it with humor. Then get over it and get over yourself. I have no desire to do the chasing in a relationship. I want empathy and compassion but not a lot of advice. I'm a big girl and can figure things out myself. If I start giving you too much advice, or get too intense, let me know in a humorous way so the friendship can continue.

I'm attracted to creative people but often they're also high strung, easily offended, high maintenance. I just cant do that. I work hard at not being offended so I appreciate others who do the same. Very few can.

Sometimes it does feel like you end up without friends. This thread is pretty safe. We all have more slowly gotten to know each other with the protection of having time to think before we type, which in person doesn't always happen. We can be more vulnerable in print and less abrasive than in person.

Julie, imho Pilates machine is more like a medieval torture machine. LOL. I just wish my neck would allow me to go back to swimming. I love to swim, but if I do too much I get a lot of neck pain. I've modified my stroke to accomodate it and could probably start again but really haven't got the desire to swim in anything but really warm Water and I hate taking along everything I need to a pool--clean underwear, showering stuff, make up, hair dryer etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.

So, walking and climbing stairs mostly at work or in my neighborhood will have to do for now.

By the way, I'll make a fool of myself for my grandkids any day of the week.

Hi Guys,

1day, good on you for getting the promotion. Woo Whoo!

OK. While I was posting this ya'll probably posted 10 more times. Can't keep up.

hey all hi janet,anyway i had a question what happens when u have a 14 cc band and u is at 12 cc do u lose fill after a few months?i keep wondering what happens when its at 14 cc?i thbought i heard my nurse dr say i had lost 1 cc the last few months like c an that happen?i know this sounds like a dum questions lol thanks

Nazzy, I'm not as experienced as Janet, but I can tell you that I have never lost any fill..... I have 1 14 cc band... When I get a fill they always withdraw it all to check to make sure there are no leaks and then refill adding a bit more... Losing fill could mean a leak in my opinion.... It is common to need more fill because of shrinkage due to weight loss. These are very good questions to ask you fill doc..... Good luck.....Julie

Well, peeps, I just got back from the support group. Dr Garth Davis, nutritionist, and a fitness guy was there. I was the only lap band. The nutrition is the same for bypass too. It was good to have a fresher course in nutrition. Dr. Davis said the best diet book is the Beck's Diet. It is about behavior modification. He said he is going to offer the course soon. I am going to buy it to get a head start. Bypass people have the same problems we do. It is all about having a strategy and sticking to it. He said journaling is key to success. Okay, there.....now you have the condensed version of what I got. Oh, and his psychologist, Mary Jo, who was in a lot of Big Medicine episodes will be on the Today show in the morning.

Janet...my guess is $240

Nope almost double $409 !!!

hey all hi janet,anyway i had a question what happens when u have a 14 cc band and u is at 12 cc do u lose fill after a few months?i keep wondering what happens when its at 14 cc?i thbought i heard my nurse dr say i had lost 1 cc the last few months like c an that happen?i know this sounds like a dum questions lol thanks

Nazzy - No you shouldn't be losing anything - that indicates a leak - talk to your doc - maybe they made a mistake

Nazzy, I'm not as experienced as Janet, but I can tell you that I have never lost any fill..... I have 1 14 cc band... When I get a fill they always withdraw it all to check to make sure there are no leaks and then refill adding a bit more... Losing fill could mean a leak in my opinion.... It is common to need more fill because of shrinkage due to weight loss. These are very good questions to ask you fill doc..... Good luck.....Julie

You are just as experienced as me gf :0)

Well, peeps, I just got back from the support group. Dr Garth Davis, nutritionist, and a fitness guy was there. I was the only LAP-BAND®. The nutrition is the same for bypass too. It was good to have a fresher course in nutrition. Dr. Davis said the best diet book is the Beck's Diet. It is about behavior modification. He said he is going to offer the course soon. I am going to buy it to get a head start. Bypass people have the same problems we do. It is all about having a strategy and sticking to it. He said journaling is key to success. Okay, there.....now you have the condensed version of what I got. Oh, and his psychologist, Mary Jo, who was in a lot of Big Medicine episodes will be on the Today show in the morning.

Charlene - Yep journaling is key and a proven fact... I will have to ck out Beck - Someone else mentioned him - I think on another thread - and yep it's all about modification/changes I know my gf who has had bypass struggles just like us - we turn to food - we love food - we want food.. and not lettuce ;0) - yep this is hard..

Glad you had a good meeting..

thanks julie i was wondering what would happen when it got to 14 cc does it still help u lose when they take it out put it all back in?hope so cause i have a ways to go still.thanks

Wow busy day here, haven't been able to check in til now. Took me along time to read as I really was taking it all in about the toxic relationships. I love the quote that Arlene posted as well about not making someone a priority in your life if you are just an option in their's. Heck that is my extended family except my G'ma. My sisters my parents, in laws etc. I am feeling even better about my decision to stop putting myself out there so much to just get trounced on. I had never heard that quote before so thanks for posting. And apples, so full of wisdom today!

I took G'ma shopping today she got DD's wedding gift and shower gift. I hope not too early. DD and fiance are having a very serious issue right now and not sure if they are going to work through it. He is very into his cars and tires of cars quicky and always has to have the best of everything. DD wants to live life with as little debt as possible. Fiance just looks at the monthly payments and right now is bearly making those. He had agreed to sell his Corvette however, informed her last night he didn't mean it and was keeping it. It might be a deal breaker for her. She wants to start a family and feels his selfishness in his toys will rob them of their future. His attitude is her income can help pay for his cars. That's not okay with her. There's more and I may have explained it all wrong, but this is a very important issue they need to work through if their values are so far apart. she is out of town on business this week so they have some time apart to think on things.

Nazzy, are you asking if your band has a leak or are you asking about gettnig it unfilled when you get to goal??

Julie, way to go on getting to the ground and playing with your GD

Melissa, congrats!!

nazzy, I have 8 cc's in my band now.... At one point I had 8.6 but had a medical emergency and had to have surgery and they took it all out.... So had to start over.. They will gradually fill you up in order to get the right restriction for good weight loss.... It takes time for most of us.... I have never heard of anyone getting up to the limit of fill.... They seem to find the right spot before that happens... Don't worry about this too much.. Your doc should explain it to you at your fills.... They usually go 1 or 2 cc's to start and then as little as .2 other times.. You'll be amazed what .2 can do for you when you get close to your sweet spot.....

Janet, I have found that obesity is a symptom of a lot deeper issues. I am so glad we have each other to lean on. I just saved myself a trip to a counselor.

Thanks again!

Arlene, I really believe my obesity is a symptom of a lot deeper issue, however, I've never been able to figure it out....I have had no major trauma in my early life and I've been obese since I was a child. I also wonder how much of it is a chemical, genetic interaction that contrives to sabotage our health. It's strong of you to step away from the unhealthy relationships....even though you love them, sometimes it's the best thing you can do for them and you.

Linda, good job on the 2 pounds. Too bad about your DIL, it's hard to have someone you love sort of turn away from you...I'm sure he still loves you. Families and their relationships are pretty weird. As for the rain....we haven't had much....barely any at all...it was sunny today...so where's that rain they promised us? I live in the desert too so I want my rain.

Do you ever wonder how many people suffer from PTSD? Especially the enlisted men and women? What they see and experience can be so damaging and the effects are not always recognized. My heart and prayers go out to the enlisted folks and all those people that are trying to help this nation.

Melissa....TRIPLE CONGRATULATIONS!!! :mad: When are you going to LA? How long will you be there!

Julie, the aeropilates thing is a piece of exercise equipment...it works the core along with legs and arms. I bought it off of QVC (something I've never done before). I got it a couple of weeks ago, but I had to put it together and now I have to learn how to use it. I finally did this morning and boy am I out of shape. I didn't work on it too long, but I can feel it in my stomach muscles already. It's kind of cool because it folds up and is out of the way when I'm not using it.

Janet...sorry about Angel, hope the medicine works. Try liverwurst for the meds...it's the only thing Glimmer likes and looks forward to. I give her meds everyday and have for the past 3 years. I think the liverwurst smells strong enough to mask the meds oder.

Okay, it's after 10 again...need to go to sleep. I did get my toes done tonight...they're pretty.

Later, hope everyone has a great night.

Eva