Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm here to help...

So who wants to join me in this challenge to lose 5 lbs by 6/11 ???

Hello I am still here it has been still so crazy at work I have been pretty much working 10 hours each day this week since we are so short handed. I am doing well the pain went away finally I had a fill but I had not weighed myself yet. I have been doing alot of mindless eating this week since of all the stress. And if I must say alot of it was sliding stuff since I have been so focused on training 2 new people and taking a whole mess of calls each day I did not want t PB. I know I know not good but I am getting refocused.

So I would love to join you on the challege.

Also since my fill I now can not drink alot of Water at least not as quickly so I am struggling with that. i do better drinking with a small straw b/c i can't really gulp it. So this weekend i am going to set myself back up with foods that are better and bring them back to work with me. I used to do that then go lazy since I am not slepping wellright now But all in all I feel well and I am happpy. Also thank goodness my shift will change to 9am-6pm EST starting Monday whichis great b/c my 14yr old wants me to strating running with him when I get home which I have to say is fun but I mostly walkand jog. It is like bonding time for us.

Well let me go to bed it is late talk to all soon.

Hi everyone. Before I forget, Phyll, love your new photo! TV, welcome and sorry for all your troubles. Regarding your losing your job, I don't know what kind of work you do, but it was my experience when I moved to Southern Cal. in the early 90s, I started working right away with a temp agency. If you do any kind of clerical work, you might check that out -- I know they have temp associates for all kinds of professions now, not just clerical. I ended up being offered a job through one of my temp associates which is nice cause you have a little knowledge about the company and those you'd be working with before you make a decision. Anyway, for what it's worth, I thought I offer that suggestion to you. Change is hard and it's upsetting. I think you got plenty of good advice from everyone, but know that everyone here will be keeping you in our thoughts and prayers and will be suportive of you. You have us now to care and support you too, so hang in there and keep us in the loop, okay? Also since February, you've LOST weight -- probably normal for you before the band (as it was for me) I would have either stayed the same or gained a few pounds between Feb. and June, so you have that to Celebrate. Hang in there! Julie, you are sounding so good, so glad to hear you're back at Water aerobics. Remember, small steps - you had a major illness, you can't be back to your normal routine for awhile longer yet. But, you're doing good. I bet your fill will feel good to you after all this time of being empty. Good luck with the fill. Kath, welcome. I think everyone here can say that they loved to eat and miss it. I have to say that once I made the decision to get the surgery, I also decided right then and there that food was no longer my no. ONE reason for living - we all had to put food into better perspective. Janet, do you still have your "breakup letter to food" -- if you do maybe you could post it again, I found it very helpful when I first saw it and that was my first month after surgery. Maybe some of the newer people here would benefit from reading that as well. I've had a good week, lost my 3 lbs. this week (was catch up from week before), have been exercising like crazy. Went to bunco tonight and had a few "planned treats". I did a five mile walk and 40 mins. of step aerobics today to make up for those goodies. I just wish we could avoid food altogether, but unfortunately, we can't, so we have to be strong. I hope everyone has a great weekend! Linda

Meredith, forgot to say CONGRATULATIONS and GOOD LUCK.

Thanks for the words of encouragement, it really does help to vent to people who understand. I'm still struggling with "being in a funk" but I'm working on it.

Hi everyone~

Happy TGIF! Just put Nelson to bed... DH is on call... going to go get my feet up and read a book. House is all clean. Laundry is all done and put up. Dishwasher is running. I love being ahead of schedule! It doesn't happen very often..LOL.

I swear my band is messing with me this week. As I told you guys, I canceled my fill for yesterday. Then of course now... hungry as a horse... nothing getting stuck... and not feeling as "full" or "pain" from eating my 1/2 to 3/4 oz of healthy food. <SIGH> BUT... the positive note here is... I am not getting stuck and not having pain! : ) Either the last fill is settling... OR... I am FINALLY learning to eat correctly... slow, chew, and small amounts. Anyway, it's a good thing. They did squeeze me in for a fill on Tuesday if I feel I want one. Thursday they were booked. (Plus it's DS last day of Montessori school!)

I went to my scheduled workout this morning... expecting it to be my normal crazy stuff. (I am working with an exercise physiologist at the wellness center at the hospital where I had my surgery). Well, today she decided to do a treadmill stress test to see where I am! I actually was pretty excited to do it. I am MUCH more fit than I was 50+ lbs ago! Today there was no EKG.. just BP and pulse (via my Polar heart monitor). And this one wasn't to measure MAX... rather to shoot for 85% of max HR. I did it, and did it with not NEAR the exhaustion of my previous two ETT (exercise tolerance test). She will give me the official results on Monday.

The hot Florida sun has FRIED most of my garden. : ( Tomatoes are history. Peppers are small and sad. Cucumbers are wimping out. Herbs are doing great. Sunflowers are 6 ft tall and bigger than my head! LOL. All the other flowers are great. Carrots are slow.. we'll see what happens to them. It's just so hard to have a garden down here. At least 300% more work than I used to have to do in NC. But it was good exercise and now the soil will be ready for some new bushes in a few weeks!

My sister is having Roux-en-Y gastric bypass on Tuesday in NC. She is so ready and so super excited! I still feel guilty that I somehow bitched and moan too much during the band hell phase. She has much less motivation and will power... and was so afraid for the band not to work. It has also been hard on her with me having had my surgery so much earlier... when this whole WLS was HER idea in the beginning! I had to pay cash (had an exemption with insurance)... and she had to jump through BCBS hoops! But I have told her she will FLY by me in weight loss. I am happy for her. But just concerned for the surgical risks. I promised her a sister cruise when we both are bathing suit ready! : )

Hope everyone has a great weekend! Hang in there to those who are having a tough time. <hugs> Keep up the good work to those of you who are doing awesome!

peasout~ Laura

I promised her a sister cruise when we both are bathing suit ready! : )

peasout~ Laura

How sweet. Sounds like fun times in the future! May I be your sister?:)

Hello everyone I have to tell you that it has been so weird not getting up and going to work after 30 years. Its just so strange and I feel completely out of it. I feel lost. I just dont know where to start to even look for work. I have to admit that since all this with my job I notice I am not making good good choices and I am not happy about that either. I have to find a way to look ahead and find something and get on with my life. I hope that everyone has a nice weekend.

Hey everyone, it's Saturday and I have the day to myself as DH is off to put up chain link fence in DD's backyard.... What to do with myself!!!! Need to do some major housecleaning, but can't, so I think I'll make a list and break things down into smaller, do-able jobs and do one or two a day until I'm done.. Hope to get done before it's time to start over again!!!!

Laura, you sound so upbeat and full of energy.. Wish I had that right now..... I don't have a sister, but think it's great that you and yours are helping each other through this... The cruis idea is a great one.. I have a date with a LB buddy I made here on-line.. We are going to meet on vacation when we get where we want to be... We're too old (and have too many surgery scars) to care about swim suits, but just looking good in whatever we are wearing..... Best of luck to both of you...

Rose, you hang in there... I think you need time for your mind to settle down and come to grips with things.. It's like grief.... there are stages to getting through this.. You will make it and we'll be here to help you get there.. Just keep posting and keep trying to work your band..... Losing the weight will probably help you land an even better job than you had before... Keep the faith....

Linda, thanks, I am doing better... Not all the way there yet, but working on it... I really need to get my band working again.. You don't realize what a security it is until someone takes it away!!

Kath, yes we all love to eat... I'm just hoping I can decide to love to eat the right things rather than all that stuff that's bad for me....

Well, better do something.. maybe I'll try my walking tape today.. My leg isn't hurting right now, might be a good time... Talk to you all later... have a good weekend.. Julie

Hey gang

Sorry I havent been around - Thrusday had my little Angel in the ER - dislocated knee - most likely will need surgery - didn't get home til like 10:45 - didn't get to bed till after mid nite - last night came home and crashed - today had to take GS to get his stupid implusive tattoo removed... then just out and about - nails etc...

1day - You are on - I have already lost 3 lbs - by adding the extra exercise and eating carbs every other day instead of daily...

Linda - Here's the letter

Dear food,

I’m breaking up with you.

Don’t be surprised. I’ve certainly tried to do it many times before, but I always weakened and went back to you.

I finally woke up and realized this relationship is not good for me. I’m not getting what I need from you. It’s hurting me, not allowing me the space to grow in the ways I need to grow. You’re holding me back.

I know I’ll have separation anxiety, but I’ve stayed with you too long, way past when I should have. This just isn’t working for me. You don’t listen to me. You don’t give me attention. You don’t care about what I’m going through. It’s almost like you don’t have any feelings for me at all, yet I’ve stuck close to you, helpless and dependent.

I know you won’t let go of me so easily. I know you’ll keep calling me, asking me to come back. But please, let me go now.

In the beginning you were always there, ready to calm me and soothe me, but it went too far. I came to rely on you. I looked to you for everything. In all fairness, it was too much to ask of you. No way could you fulfill all my needs. For so long I’ve settled, afraid to go out there and find something better for myself. I need to do that.

I now withdraw my heart from you so I can be free to put it elsewhere, some place where I can be loved back. I’ve tried to break up with you before. This time it’s real. I want to be on the cutting edge of my own life, and I can’t do it while I’m still tied to you. Thinking about being free scares me, but I want it. I must have it. I know I’m brave enough at last.

I know I’ll long for you. I know I’ll think of you a lot, especially during those hard times. I know I’ll be tempted to come back to you. But this time I’ve got a plan, things I’m prepared to do when I get lonely and sad. I’ve been thinking of other ways to Celebrate when I’m happy or proud. I have remedies in place for being bored or tired.

At this point you’re a troublemaker in my life and I intend to keep my emotional distance from you. So in a way, this is goodbye. Of course, I’ll still come into contact with you day to day, but let’s just be friends, not lovers.

Don’t cry (although you never do, it’s me who does all the crying).

Laura - Are you full when you eat your 1/2 to 3/4 cup - you aren't suppose to have pain... WTG on the exercise...

Rose - Hugs - I totally understand - I don't know what it would be like to start over - you knew your boss you knew how he liked things done and having to relearn someonesle ways is going to be challenge - but heck just think this next job may be 10 x better than the last... Hang in there we are praying for you

Julie - I need to get some cleaning done - My Lucky #7 lapband daughter is coming to visit 6/12 - 6/16 - so I need to get into the guest room dust - clean sheets etc..

Well gang - I think I am going to watch a little tv - will cbl

Hugs... Janet

H

Dear food,

I’m breaking up with you.

Don’t be surprised. I’ve certainly tried to do it many times before, but I always weakened and went back to you.

I finally woke up and realized this relationship is not good for me. I’m not getting what I need from you. It’s hurting me, not allowing me the space to grow in the ways I need to grow. You’re holding me back.

I know I’ll have separation anxiety, but I’ve stayed with you too long, way past when I should have. This just isn’t working for me. You don’t listen to me. You don’t give me attention. You don’t care about what I’m going through. It’s almost like you don’t have any feelings for me at all, yet I’ve stuck close to you, helpless and dependent.

I know you won’t let go of me so easily. I know you’ll keep calling me, asking me to come back. But please, let me go now.

In the beginning you were always there, ready to calm me and soothe me, but it went too far. I came to rely on you. I looked to you for everything. In all fairness, it was too much to ask of you. No way could you fulfill all my needs. For so long I’ve settled, afraid to go out there and find something better for myself. I need to do that.

I now withdraw my heart from you so I can be free to put it elsewhere, some place where I can be loved back. I’ve tried to break up with you before. This time it’s real. I want to be on the cutting edge of my own life, and I can’t do it while I’m still tied to you. Thinking about being free scares me, but I want it. I must have it. I know I’m brave enough at last.

I know I’ll long for you. I know I’ll think of you a lot, especially during those hard times. I know I’ll be tempted to come back to you. But this time I’ve got a plan, things I’m prepared to do when I get lonely and sad. I’ve been thinking of other ways to Celebrate when I’m happy or proud. I have remedies in place for being bored or tired.

At this point you’re a troublemaker in my life and I intend to keep my emotional distance from you. So in a way, this is goodbye. Of course, I’ll still come into contact with you day to day, but let’s just be friends, not lovers.

Don’t cry (although you never do, it’s me who does all the crying).

Thanks so much for posting this!!! So when did you write this at the beginning of your new life?

Thanks so much for posting this!!! So when did you write this at the beginning of your new life?

It's not my letter - I read something like this when I 1st joined lbt - then Phyl found it and read it at her TOPS meeting - she Posted it on my 7 thread and I posted is back in Early Februray for the newbies at that time - that's why Linda said it might help the pple who have joined since then -

It's a great letter - if I remember author is unknown..

But yes - food aka our lover - is really nothing but a cheating abusive bastard !!!! So time to kick him to the curb... IMHO :)

It's not my letter - I read something like this when I 1st joined lbt - then Phyl found it and read it at her TOPS meeting - she Posted it on my 7 thread and I posted is back in Early Februray for the newbies at that time - that's why Linda said it might help the pple who have joined since then -

It's a great letter - if I remember author is unknown..

But yes - food aka our lover - is really nothing but a cheating abusive bastard !!!! So time to kick him to the curb... IMHO :)

It is a wonderful letter and I think a lot of people will get something out of reading it. This letter is so true but scary. I guess you are right food is like an abusive bastard!!

I just love your attitude and friendship. You have helped me out so much. Thanks for being such a supportive person

It is a wonderful letter and I think a lot of people will get something out of reading it. This letter is so true but scary. I guess you are right food is like an abusive bastard!!

I just love your attitude and friendship. You have helped me out so much. Thanks for being such a supportive person

1Day

It's a joy - I love the pple I meet here - we all have the same issue - our addiction to food!!!!

We might have diff kinds of problems - but really we are more alike that we are different - Like I always say - No on understands a fat chick like another fat chick does - our skinny friend don't always really get us - they don't understand truly about our addiction to food..

We are a family - Hugs Janet

1Day

It's a joy - I love the pple I meet here - we all have the same issue - our addiction to food!!!!

We might have diff kinds of problems - but really we are more alike that we are different - Like I always say - No on understands a fat chick like another fat chick does - our skinny friend don't always really get us - they don't understand truly about our addiction to food..

We are a family - Hugs Janet

I couldn't agree more!:) You guys have helped me out more than anyone else, honestly! Janet, you hit the NAIL on the head when you made the comment about... are you head hungry or tummy hungry? I really hadn't connected the two... somehow I assumed this "band" took care of that problem. (although intellectually I know it doesn't). My desire to have a fill last week was really my desire to help this head hunger, which NO AMOUNT of fill will help.

There's one blog I have been reading which I have really enjoyed. Although she is from the UK and talks in "stones", she has a way with words. They are much more carb heavy on their diets there. Not sure I could eat what she eats. Here is a link to one of her great posts.

Theresa's Gastric Band Blog

What follows is one of her daily entries.

"Friday, March 13, 2009

Ramblings on restriction

I have been talking to some fellow bandits about how to tell if I have restriction or not – and how to be sure whether I am getting the 'full' feeling or not. What follows is a summary of some of the advice I have been given.

Some of us obese people, who have lived through a lifetime of over-eating have actually lost the ability to truly and accurately sense when and if we are 'full'. Some bandits use a hunger scale similar to that suggested by Paul McKenna (see my post http://gastricbandblog-theresa.blogspot.com/2009/02/i-can-make-you-thin-part-two.html). One on the scale is equivalent to Physically Faint and ten on the scale is Nauseous. Some dieticians advice that we should stop eating when we get to about number six on the scale. In other words, we shouldn't necessarily be aiming to feel 'full', just 'satisfied'. A full feeling may be accompanied by a sense of bloatedness. In my recent experience, this doesn't kick in for at least 10 or 15 minutes after I have finished eating!

The Paul McKenna Hunger Scale

1. Physically faint
  2. Ravenous
  3. Fairly hungry
  4. Slightly hungry
  5. Neutral
  6. Pleasantly satisfied
  7. Full
  8. Stuffed
  9. Bloated
  10. Nauseous

If we eat until satisfied, then this should keep us going for about 3 to 4 hours and our next meal. If our next meal is more than 3 to 4 hours away, then healthy snacking is OK. Healthy Snacks could include low fat yoghurt, perhaps with some Cereal crunched in for added texture. fruit is also an ideal snack. To reduce hunger between meals, Hot drinks are a good idea (I occasionally have a low fat hot chocolate, for example), or suck a mint or chew gum (being careful not to swallow it!).

One bandit said that when eating meals, we should eat the Proteins first, followed by the veggies and then the carbs last. I am not sure what the reasoning is behind this and I haven't heard of it before - but I am going to try it and see if it makes any difference!

Sometimes it takes a while to get in tune with our bands – it's like having a new part to our bodies and trying to get used to responding to it and working with it.

Personally, I think that I definitely have some restriction. I know that if I eat too fast I get hints of indigestion and very mild pain (Iron fist – but very mild). I also think that I have been expecting a very definite “right that's it, I'm full” kind of feeling and this is probably unrealistic. In reality, I need to stop eating when satisfied rather than get to the point where I am full. Also, because of the time delay between eating and 'full' messages getting to my brain, I am probably continuing on past the point at which I am physically satisfied, if you see what I mean! As well as simply being impatient by nature (!), I think another problem I have is that I am a little afraid of consuming too many calories on a daily basis. The result is, that on so-called 'good' days I have actually not consumed enough. I should be aiming for 1000-1200 per day but have been regularly eating only about 850-900. What I think I should do from now on, is to continue eating the same size meals as I have done, but be much more willing to eat healthy Snacks in between to control my hunger. I plan on taking a snack pack to work with me every day next week – full of apples, nectarines, yoghurts and the like. After all, if I ate a small apple, a small nectarine, a low fat yoghurt and a low fat Cereal bar, it would still only amount to about 200 calories extra – which is exactly what I need!

Oh, it's soooo good to know that there are helpful people out there who are willing to pass on their experience, advice and encouragement. Thank you to you all."

Theresa's Gastric Band Blog

Laura

I would sit and contemplate my sense of fullness and I was/am full but want to eat - We have lost touch with this feeling and it's normal to be hungry 3-4 hours after a meal -

Pple think that the band will cure it all - but as we know it doesn't...

Ya this girl is good - but I guess they have diff rules than us (eating Protein 1st) ya they are more carbs than us..

Well, I went to the gym this morning 3.5 miles 400+ cal burned - did a little shopping - took a mini nap and now farming of FB - thought I would ck in and see what's up

looks like a quite day...

Well back to my farm - CBL - Hugs