Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm here to help...

I'm new to this site and searching for an answer to this-- maybe you can help. . .

I had surgery yesterday, and afterward I didn't feel as bad as I thought I might. Somewhat sore, but tolerable. This morning (24 hrs after surg) I feel quite a bit more sore. Anyone else? Is this normal? It's not horribly worse, plus I haven't taken pain med since last night, but it's definitely harder to walk than yesterday.

Lisa

Lisa~ First off, congrats on getting the surgery! I hope you have a speedy recovery!

Surgery hurts. They stab you several times in the abdomen and blow up your belly with 25-30 psi (pounds per square inch) of either CO2 or Nitrogen. It's a lot of expansion of the abdominal skin. The anchoring of the port is into the muscle and the band is anchored with skin and sewn together. You will have some pain, but it WILL get better!

Take your pain medicine as prescribed. If you are still very uncomfortable or if you have fever/chills, or any oozing or bleeding from the site that soaks through a small bandage... call your dr's office. I found after surgery, that once I got up out of bed, I actually felt better. It's the up and down that hurts the worse. It is important to move though. Lots of deep breaths to keep those lungs healthy.

Hope you feel better soon!

peasout~

Laura

I need a buddy!

Welcome December - We are here for you !!!

going to the gym be back around 6:30 ....

Hello ladies!

Thank you to everyone for all of your meal planning advice! I am going to cut and paste all of it into a word document, print it, and put it on my fridge. Nothing new really to report. I called the woman who schedules surgery (she is back from vaca), she said my chart is in dictation and would have to wait to send all of my information before she could set a date for me. She reminded me that this is not an overnight process, and I realize that, but all of this should have been done immediately after my appointment. Just venting really. I want to get the show on the road! I'm sure all of you can think back to before you were banded and can identify with me.

I went to a beautiful benefit dinner tonight for the people of Abruzzi, Italy (the earthquake). My boss is from that area and put on a benefit dinner. It was beautiful and they raised lots of money. Plus, we got entertainment from local Detroit Opera talent. It was amazing! I was so impressed! It really was beautiful and heartwarming to see all of these people getting together and raising money in these tough economic times for people who are worse off.

Anyhow, gotta get moving. Time for bed. Check in tomorrow. Thanks again to everyone for all of your help!

~Meredith

Meredith, sorry you have to wait to get your date! Hopefully that nurse will get to it soon. I know how frustrating can be, but you're on the right road and it won't be long now! Nothing much new to report here. Yesterday was weigh in day and I lost 4 (because the scales didn't budge last week). It's so weird how our bodies act. Did any of you watch the Biggest Loser finale? The 47 year old woman, Helen won in a close contest -- she beat out the 20 something and the 18 year old. She's a great role model for women over 40. Todays food: omelet made with 1 serving of egg beater with 1/2 serving of Morning star sausage crumbles and 1 slice 2% borden American cheese; Yoplait non fat yogurt, one banana, sliced strawberries, steamed brocolli, grilled salmon steak and a McDonald's ice cream cone (my special treat this week). Total around 888. Exercise today was recumbant bike, 30 mins.; circuit training 30 mins.; Water aerobics 60 mins. Laura, that Biggest Loser scale sounds great -- I'm going to look for one -- so far I've been pretty much guessing on my weights of Protein (using deck of cards visual), unless I buy things that are packaged according to weight. Bev, welcome and good luck to you on your journey! Charlene I hope your feeling better soon. I have 5 cc's in my band and feel restriction so I think I'll just keep it here for awhile -- I'm due to go in June 3, but don't really think I'm going to need another fill. I have never had anything stuck, but have had a few instances of the golf ball feeling in the chest when I first start to feel full or if I eat too fast. Janet glad you had a nice visit with your family and happy to hear they're home safe and sound. December, welcome - -this is a great site, you'll have lots of friends here to support you. Julie, you sound like you're doing great -- glad you have an appt. for a fill -- cause that means your healthy again. Apples, have fun at the lake! Linda

GOOD MORNING GANG !!

Meredith - Yep I remember the day I got my date - I wanted to scream it from the roof tops - I was so so ecstatic !!!!

I was lucky I had my 1st consultation 5/30 - and think I was approved and had date on 6/21 - I had the co-morbidities and my bmi was 42 - But gotta say that Kristen the girl in charge was the best !!!

It will come - I know how bad you want it !!!

Laura - Glad the scales moved WTG - and glad you Mom doesn't have to have surgery. My Xdh tore his acl - and you know how men are when down :0)...

I love menopause !!! But I am a lucky one no real symptoms - maybe a little hot flash every now and then.. Tom would visit every 21 to 23 days at the end - it seemed like I was alway on my TOM...

The only real diff is now my skin is DRY and it use to be very oily...

Linda

Congrats on your 4 lbs WTG - I didn't watch BL this season - but did see the last 5 minutes - Yep us oldie can still beat the young ones :0) -- I was reading somewhere on here (lurking on someone else thread) that they thought she was too skinny - I thought she looked fine..

My food yesterday

BBQ chicken - rice - corn - popcorn - 13 animal crackers (left by my GD) juice and Protein Drink (I missed bf & lunch was super busy yesterday so I had a pt drink around 2)

Well since my boss is gone - all the work falls on me - so I better get to it - will CBL

Janet, I just got back from Dr. Davis. The PA took out .6cc. She put a needle in and that is how much came up in the needle. I don't know how she does it, but she can tell. She said tissue is swollen from the cortisone shot. I will go back in two weeks for a fill. Oh, guess what? Insurance companies are starting to pay for gastric sleeve. I talked to a woman that works for the government and she was getting a sleeve. Then the PA told me that ins is starting to pay. That will be a good alternative if I have complications down the road.

Hello everyone! Well today I am 2 weeks post banding and doing really well. I saw the surgeon yesterday and he ok'd mushies :tt2: He just said to go slow to avoid nausea. Here's a bit of irony-I couldn't eat anything solid if I wanted to...yesterday I woke up with severe pain in one of my teeth and now my jaw is swollen :thumbup:...seems I have an tooth infection and need a root canal! Man, it is always something. Anyhow, my mashed potatoes with Protein Powder for dinner were delicious! :w00t:

Yeah, I was really hoping Helen would win BL, she is the same age as me and it's easy to believe it can't be done at "our age". It was awesome to see her and the "at home winner" beat out all those young 'uns! :rolleyes:

GOOD MORNING GANG !!

Laura - Glad the scales moved WTG - and glad you Mom doesn't have to have surgery. My Xdh tore his acl - and you know how men are when down :0)...

I love menopause !!! But I am a lucky one no real symptoms - maybe a little hot flash every now and then.. Tom would visit every 21 to 23 days at the end - it seemed like I was alway on my TOM...

The only real diff is now my skin is DRY and it use to be very oily...

Hi~ BTW, I didn't know you could call it TOM. My first real boyfriend was named Tom...LOL. My skin has been getting dry the last 6 months or so, more now after WLS.

ONE MORE lb down today! I went in for fill #4. I told them everything and then my doc said... let's try 1cc and see. This is the FIRST fill that was quick and easy and painless! The others I had that darn seroma that needed to be drained and then due to scar tissue, he would have a hard time finding the port. Today he said due to the weight loss and exercise that he could feel it much more easily! They gave me a small cup of Water (maybe 60cc) and he wanted me to try to drink it in one gulp, like a shot of tequila. It went down, but I had a twinge of Iron fist/golf ball sensation. I rated it a 1/10. He then had me do another "shot". This time I actually had a tiny bit of a feeling of salivating. He told me he wanted to take 0.5cc out and I felt so possessive of my 0.5cc! I didn't want to give it to him! But then he explained that later I might have swelling and not be able to get anything down. Also said, that later he might have to take more out... so I gave in. I am on liquids today so I can't really tell. He said he thinks in two weeks he will put another .5cc in and that it might be VERY close to my sweet spot.

I also found out that my surgeon made a deal with the hospital Wellness Center (staffed by exercise physiologists), that any of his patients get 3 months FREE membership, including personal training 3 times a week! I am paying $40 a session at the Y, so of course I JUMPED on this! I will give it a try on Monday. I have to drive about 20 min, but for FREE training by a more TRAINED person, seems like it might be worth it. Also, she is VERY familiar with bariatric patients. I want to wait and see if I like it before I tell my trainer here. I feel like I am cheating on her! :rolleyes:

kath17268~ Welcome and CONGRATS! Sorry about the tooth! OUCH! I felt the same way about TBL finale.

Charlene K~ Glad to hear you got your unfill. I was afraid of really being too tight, so opted for it before I left the office.

ok guys... DH is on call tonight, so I have an active 5 year old wanting some attention! TTYL!

peasout~ Laura

Janet, I just got back from Dr. Davis. The PA took out .6cc. She put a needle in and that is how much came up in the needle. I don't know how she does it, but she can tell. She said tissue is swollen from the cortisone shot. I will go back in two weeks for a fill. Oh, guess what? Insurance companies are starting to pay for gastric sleeve. I talked to a woman that works for the government and she was getting a sleeve. Then the PA told me that ins is starting to pay. That will be a good alternative if I have complications down the road.

Charlene - Are you totally unfilled 0h no i see .6 - no 6 - I am not medically inclinde so all these cc don't mean sqaut to me :0) - How's the tmi issues - did you tell them about that problem??

That's great to hear about the sleeve - cuz it's what I would do if I lost my band - and I really don't want to go to Mexico - I know that pple who go love it - I'm a scaredy cat.. I thought I had read somewhere that they were now paying for the sleeve - Our office just changed to Aetna so I don't know if bariatric is covered or not - question though - I am no longer obese so would they cover it if I lost my band or would I have to gain it all back in order to quailfy???

Wasn't your DH thinking about surgery - This would be perfect...

Hello everyone! Well today I am 2 weeks post banding and doing really well. I saw the surgeon yesterday and he ok'd mushies :tt2: He just said to go slow to avoid nausea. Here's a bit of irony-I couldn't eat anything solid if I wanted to...yesterday I woke up with severe pain in one of my teeth and now my jaw is swollen :w00t:...seems I have an tooth infection and need a root canal! Man, it is always something. Anyhow, my mashed potatoes with Protein powder for dinner were delicious! :tt2:

Yeah, I was really hoping Helen would win BL, she is the same age as me and it's easy to believe it can't be done at "our age". It was awesome to see her and the "at home winner" beat out all those young 'uns! :rolleyes:

Kath - HUGS gf on the teeth issue - Ya that's terrible - but I bet you mashed potatoes never tasted so good..

I didn't watch biggest loser this season - to much other stuff to watch and of course LBT - but I did see the last 5 minutes and was rooting for her - I was 52 when banded - Lost 100 lbs in 1 yr - and then the other 12 by just eating healthy and exercising... It can be done !!!

Hi~ BTW, I didn't know you could call it TOM. My first real boyfriend was named Tom...LOL. My skin has been getting dry the last 6 months or so, more now after WLS.

ONE MORE lb down today! I went in for fill #4. I told them everything and then my doc said... let's try 1cc and see. This is the FIRST fill that was quick and easy and painless! The others I had that darn seroma that needed to be drained and then due to scar tissue, he would have a hard time finding the port. Today he said due to the weight loss and exercise that he could feel it much more easily! They gave me a small cup of Water (maybe 60cc) and he wanted me to try to drink it in one gulp, like a shot of tequila. It went down, but I had a twinge of Iron fist/golf ball sensation. I rated it a 1/10. He then had me do another "shot". This time I actually had a tiny bit of a feeling of salivating. He told me he wanted to take 0.5cc out and I felt so possessive of my 0.5cc! I didn't want to give it to him! But then he explained that later I might have swelling and not be able to get anything down. Also said, that later he might have to take more out... so I gave in. I am on liquids today so I can't really tell. He said he thinks in two weeks he will put another .5cc in and that it might be VERY close to my sweet spot.

I also found out that my surgeon made a deal with the hospital Wellness Center (staffed by exercise physiologists), that any of his patients get 3 months FREE membership, including personal training 3 times a week! I am paying $40 a session at the Y, so of course I JUMPED on this! I will give it a try on Monday. I have to drive about 20 min, but for FREE training by a more TRAINED person, seems like it might be worth it. Also, she is VERY familiar with bariatric patients. I want to wait and see if I like it before I tell my trainer here. I feel like I am cheating on her! :ohmy:

kath17268~ Welcome and CONGRATS! Sorry about the tooth! OUCH! I felt the same way about TBL finale.

Charlene K~ Glad to hear you got your unfill. I was afraid of really being too tight, so opted for it before I left the office.

ok guys... DH is on call tonight, so I have an active 5 year old wanting some attention! TTYL!

peasout~ Laura

Laura

Congrats on your other pound lost !!!

And yes I think that each time you go in for a fill it gets easier for them - they know where your port is and how to hit it..

- My doc says that 1 cc is a lot when I last went for onel - that's what he gave me on 1/23/08 - I could drink while I was there - but like the next day I could barely drink my coffee - tiny itty bitty sips - I was back in his office within a week and he took out all but .01 of the fill - and I haven't been back since.. I never ever want to be that tight again - I could only eat like 1/4 c of food and that was the week of my Bday so I couldn't even go out to dinner cuz I couldn't eat... I would rather be too loose than too tight.. Give the fill a while to settle in..

-------------------------------------------------

Well gang I am late tonite - had to go to the Attonery's office and sign papers after work (my Bro's Estate stuff) and while there - it dawned on me - I didn't pay his property taxes that were due in April - I pay mine in full in Dec (cuz this is what I am afraid of doing is forgetting) and the Ranches I wrote that check in but forgot all about the 2nd half being do on my bro's house.. So came home and did the accounting stuff I had to do on his account - then cooked GS dinner (I'm haveing left over bbq chick - oh but I still gotta cook my veggies)..

I wonder how Long's doing on her cruise - can't wait to hear all about it..

Well, just cking in - cbl :thumbup:

The PA took out I think half of a cc. She said it should relieve the symptoms. I feel alot better tonight. I go back in two weeks for a fill.

My Dh should be approved next week for gastric bypass. I hope he is scheduled in June.

I checked on the Aetna website and I don't think they pay for gastric sleeve yet. I have Aetna and I hope they approve it.

Good morning gang~

Well, I was hoping for a bit of restriction. I guess I have a BIT. I think he was correct in taking half of it out yesterday. Last night though I was sooooooo hungry. I had stayed on liquids all day and although I had 80gms of Protein, I was only at 600 cal and feeling crappy. At 9pm I made one super soft, almost runny, scrambled egg. Oh man, it was the best egg I have had in a while. Went down fine. This morning had a cup of coffee- no problem. I usually have a small Protein Shake in the a.m. anyway. I will find out later how I do with food food. I know it's Water weight.. .but gained back that pound I lost! UUUUrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggghhhhhhhhh! Off to the gym after dropping Nelson at school.

peasout~

TGIF GANG !!!

Charlene - We had Blue Cross (ppo) when I got banded - They were a breeze as far as approval - besides that fact that I was morbitly obese :0) with 2 co morbities - I will have to ck out our insurance when I get a chance.

I guess you have been a real influnence in getting your dh to get the surgery - I bet he wants to keep up with you :)

Laura - Glad you are doing well - it's good to get your fills a little at a time especially since you can go back in 2 weeks...

This is why I say don't get on the scales every day - it flucuates too much and that can be discouraging..

Well, glad it's Friday - this week went by fast !!! Might go to Outlets tomorrow w/gf - have gym in the morning with trainer since he missed Monday... That's about it..

I wonder what happen to Rose, Ellen, Beckyo - I think I am going to have to p.m. them :0)

Well gotta get in gear - will cbl - have a good day

So, here I am again. I have survived since my fill on Monday and the killer pill I took Monday night. Now I just am afraid to eat and when I do, it hurts. Not for long, but it is like in the middle of my chest. I stayed on Soups and mushies like you said. Lastnight I had a piece of bacon with my mushies and that was fine. This morning I was trying scrambled egg and a really thin piece of ham, eating very small bite, chew, chew, chewing, and ouch, there was that pain. I remember someone saying they are tighter in the morning. Is that normal? Usually for morning I just have a Protein Shake but I was out of milk this morning and did not want to drive to town then back home and then to work again. So I bought a Breakfast burrito knowing I would not eat the burrito and most all of the insides. So I have had two bites of egg and some ham and WHY DOES IT HURT? Can anyone relate to this? Thanks.