Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have a heart murmur Does this matter?

Yeah I know ask the cardiologist. I went to a cardiologist for my surgery clearance and he tells me I have a heart murmur and that I need a stress test. And since I can't run I have to have chemically induced stress. I am scared to death. Has anyone else been told anything regarding a heart murmur and will it affect my surgery or not? Also has anyone else had a stress test that was chemically induced instead of exercise induced? Help!:lol:

Hi i had a chemically induced stress test 2 week before I was banded. I was not a big deal. You will feel some discomfort and like you are winded and out of breath. DON'T worry that is normal. I have stents in my heart they I have had for a while and the surgery went great. Don't get yourself all worked up. I know people that have murmurs and it is not abig deal. All will be fine. I will say a prayer for you Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Phil

I was banded Feb of this year. I am an ultrasound technician and do stress test. The chemical stress test is EASY! You get an I. V. started and have resting images done. Then 30 minutes after you have been injected with adenosine in your I.V. you have images taken again. Easy does it! The medicine does to you what excercise does to you. This test is checking to see if your coronary arteries are getting enough oxygenated blood to the left ventricle. A heart murmur can be caused for valve regurgitation and other small abnormalities. It is not a big deal, you will be fine! I'm sure your stress test will turn out good, your doctor is just being careful. Good luck and let me know if I can help.Thanks, Jessica

JESSICA,

You could not have said it any better. It's things like this that

make this site so great.

Phil

Hi! Two days before I was supposed to have surgery I went to post op and they did an ekg (the hospital did). And the night before surgery my doctors nurse called and said the surgery was off because I had Wolff Parkinson White disease. Its basically where my heart has another pathway to transmit shocks. The hospital required me to get a cardiologist and electrophisiologist clearance in order to proceed. So it pushed my surgery back 6 weeks. Supposed to be banded 4/3 was done 5/15. So my point is a couple of things. I think a heart murmur is going to be absolutely ok. I was so scared the docs were going to tell me I couldnt do my surgery! So I really dont think you should worry about that. And also, Be very happy they are doing this BEFORE hand. I was so upset my surgeon didnt do this before. The firt time he saw me he said he could hear a murmur. So that devastated me. I had gone through 2 weeks of nothing but shakes, just to do it again. So I really think you will be ok! Good luck! And it will so be worth it!

NO-it depends on how significant what the cardiologist hears is and if he thinks it is necessary. Murmurs are very common and not a big deal. It will just depend on the cardiologist.A young as you are, I would guess probably not! Coronary artery disease would be very uncommon in someone your age.

I was supposed to be banded today while in the pre opt room iv in arm all ready to be banded the heart monitor shows these weird heart beats so the dr cancelled surgery and sent me to the cardio Dr I was so lucky to get in today and they did an ultra sound and a stress test on a trad mill and sent me home with a monitor for 24hrs I hope everything goes ok so I can get back on the schedule again I am so sad right now I was also told I had a heart murmur I am not sure what happens next but I had to just get get out.

The weird or irregular heart beats are called arrythmia. Your heart rhythm is off. The holter monitor you have on is for 24 hours and is recording every beat of your heart. The results will be very helpful to your doctor. Why did they not clear all of this before you are there pre-oping for surgery? That's ridiculous. You will be back for your surgery soon, it doesn't sound very serious and you are young. They have to do what is best for you and make sure. Just be patient and you will be right back on that table soon. I'm sorry and hope you get your surgery soon!

Yeah I know ask the cardiologist. I went to a cardiologist for my surgery clearance and he tells me I have a heart murmur and that I need a stress test. And since I can't run I have to have chemically induced stress. I am scared to death. Has anyone else been told anything regarding a heart murmur and will it affect my surgery or not? Also has anyone else had a stress test that was chemically induced instead of exercise induced? Help!:scared2:

Hi, I was banded 5/6th. I had been told years back I had a murmur. They ran test then and it wasn't anything to be concerned about. So I forgot about it.

My medical records mentioned it, (most Drs didn't even notice it, or didn't mention it). Anyway, I had to have the stress test you mention. I was about 5 months ago.

It's time consuming and pretty easy. Only thing I would suggest is to take the fast seriously. DON'T EAT like they say. Luckily I did!!

When they have the IV in, they put the nuclear medicine in. In a few seconds I felt nauseated. I said, "does anyone ever get sick".

They said, "no, except for some woman last week who threw up all over". They were disgusted with this poor woman. The sick feeling left me as quick as it came over me and it wasn't bad.

I wondered if what I had gone thru was harmful to the body. I haven't done any research into it. Good Luck!!!

My doctor noticed a heart murmur last yeart and not any years before. I had a sonogram a year ago and they never really said much. I just worried about all the appts I am having before the surgery. I have not told anybody at work what is going.

I was supposed to be banded today while in the pre opt room iv in arm all ready to be banded the heart monitor shows these weird heart beats so the dr cancelled surgery and sent me to the cardio Dr I was so lucky to get in today and they did an ultra sound and a stress test on a trad mill and sent me home with a monitor for 24hrs I hope everything goes ok so I can get back on the schedule again I am so sad right now I was also told I had a heart murmur I am not sure what happens next but I had to just get get out.

Sorry to hear your surgery was cancelled. What a let down. It's better that they check it out before hand though. Don't be sad. You'll be back on the table in no time. I am sure. Good luck and God Bless you.

Thanks everybody! I feel much better now. I should have known others have been through this. I love this forum. I have only been on it since January but I read it everyday. I am glad my cardiologist is checking this out now instead of when I get on the table. I will let you know how it went. It is scheduled for June 10th. :scared2: